Reddish Depot

18B

• RMweb Gold

There a site here http://www.lner.info/locos/Electric/em1.shtml that states: -

The EM1s primarily hauled coal over the Woodhead route. All of the EM1s were officially allocated to Reddish depot, but they were usually distributed to depots along the route as required. 

Just to back that statement up, I have a Locomotive Allocation Book Sixth edition Spring 1979 published by National Railway Enthusiasts Association that shows all 40 remaining Class 76s allocated to Reddish.

I'm not sure that Wath ever maintained electric locos, rather than just carrying out running repairs (until the OLE was removed from within the depot). Certainly, in the earliest Locoshed book I have, for 1965, all the EM1s and EM2s were allocated to Reddish, 9C. The size and facilities of Reddish would also suggest that this was always intended to be the main depot for the locos. The EM2s would not have visited Wath during normal operations anyway, of course.

EDIT: Just remembered I have a 1959 Combined Volume & Locoshed Book reprint which also shows all the electrics allocated to Reddish.

I'm not sure that Wath ever maintained electric locos, rather than just carrying out running repairs (until the OLE was removed from within the depot). Certainly, in the earliest Locoshed book I have, for 1965, all the EM1s and EM2s were allocated to Reddish, 9C. The size and facilities of Reddish would also suggest that this was always intended to be the main depot for the locos. The EM2s would not have visited Wath during normal operations anyway, of course.

EDIT: Just remembered I have a 1959 Combined Volume & Locoshed Book reprint which also shows all the electrics allocated to Reddish.

Having worked with ex Wath staff, they told me on several occasions that not only did they carry out running repairs, but also did some exam and boiler work on the Tommies.

Regards

Al Taylor.

My reasearch seem s to show that Reddish didn't open until 1954 and the EM1's were working for Dunford by 1952, so there was an earlyt period of working before Reddish opened, but as for how much work Wath then did on them until around 1964 when Reddish I understand too over completely I'm unsure?

Look out for an old edition of British Railways Illustrated (BRILL) - which contains a photographic article about Wath EMD, and explains how the building was built on dwarf walls with metal siding that could be jacked up to combat mining subsidence.

The photos show it was more than a mere stabling point - even if the locos weren't allocated there officially

It also shows how the turntable levelling device was used.

Recommended.

Brian R

Archived