Rapido Trains UK Release

Guest CPRAIL3000

• RMweb Gold

I do hope Jason isn't spluttering or choking in his tea/coffee, or whatever, as he reads this thread.  This is one of the best free advertising campaigns he must have ever had - only trouble is only he knows what it's for (but I bet it's got a 3 in the number, very useful those old Norwegian sagas).

I could say I know exactly what Jason is planning. I could say I know the "loco" well. I could say I've already pre-ordered. I could say I know it's not a class 13.

If I did they would all be porkies. I wonder how many will read the first line and think I have insider information. I do love being a sh*t disturber.

Is it true that the Rapido venture is to be a class 800/801 IEP and that the model will be so accurate that Hitachi plan on scanning it prior to building the HST replacements?

RP

• RMweb Premium

So what happens if "whatever it is" isn't at Shildon on 24 June?

It's along way to come and lot to pay for scanning equipment if there's a risk it won't be used. Methinks the item is already there as a permanent exhibit.

• RMweb Gold

So what happens if "whatever it is" isn't at Shildon on 24 June?

It's along way to come and lot to pay for scanning equipment if there's a risk it won't be used. Methinks the item is already there as a permanent exhibit.

I thought he was coming to launch his new UK outline product, he didn't say he was bringing any scanning equipment or hiring it, just that he might scan whatever it is provided it is there, which also means that he won't be scanning it if IT isn't there.   Notwithstanding living in the colonies for some time this chap clearly has a superb command of the English language and a top notch sense of humour and is using both to maximum advantage to have a bit of fun, rouse our interest, and encourage not only a lot of guessing but also a sort of wishlist feeding frenzy - I reckon he's 'read' RMweb to a T.  

I hope his brilliant approach to marketing results in a commercial success for him and something nice for some of us (preferably with a 3 in the number, oh dear now that could well be construed as wishlisting but I know all too well that it definitely won't be a 43XX, I think).

I think that it may well be there in June, but what if, only amonth later Bachmann announce the same thing?

Might Late July be a better launch date, just in case?

No no, earlier would be better something like the 11th April to announce what its going to be, as long as they book all of the mythical Chinese production slots up for a year or two to ensure Bachmann cant get their product to the shelves before them...

• RMweb Premium

I thought he was coming to launch his new UK outline product, he didn't say he was bringing any scanning equipment or hiring it, just that he might scan whatever it is provided it is there, which also means that he won't be scanning it if IT isn't there.  

I don't want to labour this, but the Rapido newsletter says:

UK Product Launch

spacer.gif

Please spread the word if you are reading this in the UK. Bill and I will be in the UK in June, and we will be hosting a Rapido Launch Party on Tuesday 24 June at Locomotion in Shildon. We'll be performing a 3D scan of our chosen locomotive, provided it is actually at Locomotion on the 24th. We're in the process of getting our ducks in a row to ensure that.

I agree he's coming to launch his new UK outline product but he says he will scan the loco if its there. So, he needs to go prepared with the equipment and as I understand it you can't just decide a few days beforehand, so unless he has his own personal kit he needs to book it in advance. I can't see him doing that unless he knows the loco is going to be there and equally, he wouldn't want to leave it too late to book the equipment - it would not look good if the loco was there but after all the plugs and announcements he couldn't scan it because the equipment wasn't available.

EDIT: I think I've cracked it. Jason says in the newsletter that his kids like Thomas, and he talks about getting his ducks in a row. So.... it's a pannier tank as the first in a new line of Thomas and Friends trains for the UK market :no:

I am so gonna laugh my socks off when Rapido come up with a simple open coal wagon instead :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:jester:

(hat: check, coat: check, straight jacket: check. Right, I'm off :senile:  :D )

You might be right after all, where is the 4mm scale HAA hopper that captures the tub shape of the body....? And one of the handful of remaining ones is at Shildon...

Actually I've just heard confirmation that our UK outline model will be there on 24 June.

We're scanning George, the museum manager at Shildon, and he told me he's coming in to work that day.

There should be room on the mould to offer George in 2mm, TT, 4mm and 7mm scales. We'll also scan his rolly chair so you can put George somewhere on your layout.

I think he'll be a hit!

-Jason

:derisive:

Actually I've just heard confirmation that our UK outline model will be there on 24 June.

We're scanning George, the museum manager at Shildon, and he told me he's coming in to work that day.

There should be room on the mould to offer George in 2mm, TT, 4mm and 7mm scales. We'll also scan his rolly chair so you can put George somewhere on your layout.

I think he'll be a hit!

-Jason

:derisive:

Yay that’s great news I had a premonition up in post 392 there may be a big announcement today, thanks for sharing this.

Now the important bit will George's wheely good chair come in different colours to suit our layouts

I would be interested in the Diesel era Rail Blue livery

post-12740-0-07517400-1397181340.jpg

or the limited edition Teak version

post-12740-0-66166100-1397181358.jpg

Or War Time Black for the Steam enthusiasts

post-12740-0-42832800-1397181352.jpg

Now I have heared that George is due to get one of these for his next Birthday apparently its wheely good too. Could this be what George is getting around on, on the 24th ??????...

post-12740-0-26014400-1397181698.jpg

Oh sorry wrong George thats the George thats presently on tour in New Zealand

:mosking:

Interesting that they will be scanning it on the day.

That's a difficult job, because unless the museum is a 'closed shop' that day, then the public will be walking around it. Not a good scenario when setting up and moving around £50k worth of scanner.

Plus there would need to be 4/5 hours of detailed photo survey as well.

Not sure if this is viable (on a public day) as it's a risk to machinery I'd not like to take when scanning something.

Cheers

Dave

Surely it would all be done on the apron out the front of Shildon. Hence the summer date and liklihood of dry weather.

Fingers crossed its the J21, although thats in bits so doubless needs more to it than scanning it at present. I would be thinking it could be the Black 5, but there are a number of other engines there too and one could always arrive before then too.

Archived