Class 45 and class 46 external differences

• RMweb Gold

Battery boxes are a start!

Other features such as the triangular grill on the side and nose ends - including head code boxes - varied within the classes

Except that -

Anything with split headcode boxes is a 45

Anything with an ETH jumper is a 45/1

http://derbysulzers.com/ is an excellent source - don't be put off by the BoBo front page, theres loads on peaks too

Cheers

Phil

The one external difference between a class 45 and a class 46 are the battery box covers. The class 45s have a cross on them whilst the 46s are plain. With their lower gear ratio, class 46s were rumoured to be better on freights???

The class 46s only had central headcode boxes while the 45s had all the variations except discs (class 44 only). As for the central triangular grille on the bodyside, all class 46s had them whilst some 45s had them and some didn't. Only the class 45/1s had the orange ETH boxes on the bufferbeams.

By 1980 most of the Peaks had the marker lights as opposed to headcode boxes. There were exceptions, you just need the photographic evidence to justify your choice if you keep the boxes.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Regards,

Robert

Edited by RobboPetes

Class 45s had a cross on each battery box cover not a triangle. The other definite external difference (headcode boxes, triangular grills etc varied) is the hinged hatch on one side only of a 45 below the long grill, this hatch is not present on a 46. The photo below shows the hatch immediately above the left hand battery box cover.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/45111leicester.jpg

Class 45s had a cross on each battery box cover not a triangle. The other definite external difference (headcode boxes, triangular grills etc varied) is the hinged hatch on one side only of a 45 below the long grill, this hatch is not present on a 46. The photo below shows the hatch immediately above the left hand battery box cover.

Yes, I meant a cross - not a triangle. Doh!

A useful piece of information here, as the external difference argument here has been going on since the early 80s - with no one picking up on this.

Regards,

Robert.

• 3 years later...

Just to explode a myth about headcodes on Peaks. The lower numbered ones of what became Class 46 had the split centre box headcodes like later 45s when new. They were all altered to single centre headcode pretty early on, from around 1965 if I recall correctly, as were some 45s including some built with split corner boxes (and one end of a 44 gained a single centre headcode too).

As noted above, the only 100% reliable (so far as I can tell) differentiator between a 45 and 46 is the battery box covers.

Grille variations are another challenge.

Does anybody have any good photos of the between bogie battery boxes and the pipework theirin, expecially for the dual braked locos? ​ am looking as to what improvments i can make the the mainline/replica/Bachmann early models.

Class 45 details here https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157626904268595

Class 46 details here https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627028996868

Does anybody have any good photos of the between bogie battery boxes and the pipework theirin, expecially for the dual braked locos? ​ am looking as to what improvments i can make the the mainline/replica/Bachmann early models.

The shape of those models is poor. Are they worth it?

• RMweb Gold

Smashing photos Brian

Could you go back in time and get similar photos of VB only locos please????

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Smashing photos Brian

Could you go back in time and get similar photos of VB only locos please????

Phil

I think you may have to PM, Brush Veteran.

I do believe he is the one with the time machine.  :good:  

• Like 1

Some of the early dual braked 45s didn't have the pipe work the later ones did. The pipe coming down from the engine room on A side was missing and the two outer air reservoirs were missing.

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold

Some of the early dual braked 45s didn't have the pipe work the later ones did. The pipe coming down from the engine room on A side was missing and the two outer air reservoirs were missing.

Al Taylor

Are you saying that's on the early AB locos Al?

Cheers

Phil

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Definitely no split headcode box Class 46s, I believe they were all built as centre headcode panel, later modified to twin market lights

Only the last twenty had central headcode boxes from new, the others had split central boxes but were modified in the mid to late 60's. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, rka said:

Does anyone know if there was a class 46 with split headcode boxes painted in either blue or economy green? 

I think it's safe to say that these combinations would not have occurred since the mid-1960s refurbishment programme is what led to D138-73 gaining single centre headcode panels and the small triangular side grilles followed by repaints into economy green or blue. Before this refurbishment a number of Class 46s in this batch gained overlarge yellow warning panels which extended to the top edge of the headcodes, including D144, D160, D163 and D164.

I have a Bachmann D163 in economy green and in order to model this same locomotive as running on the WR in 1971 in this livery virtually every external detail needs changing 🤬 which is why I still haven't got a round tuit yet (in fact I'm contemplating getting a blue D186 body from Bachmann Spares, renumbering it D151 and plonking that on the chassis instead, thus avoiding a mass of work on one loco when I have a long queue of other models to process which require far less effort....! Why D151? Because 53 years ago tomorrow it became the first Peak to reach Penzance - so don't let anyone tell you Peaks were not seen in Cornwall in the 1960s......😎!!)