"Peaks" in Cornwall

chris newman

Chris,

47091 Thor was green until 1974 at least http://www.flickr.com/photos/52g_sunderland/5696944168/ and I think I've seen photos/film of others in green but a shocking state.

There were a small (17 locos, D1660-1677, D1671 having been written off when virtually brand new) batch of Brush Type 4 on the WR that were named from the mid-1960s, carrying two-tone green, initially with small yellow panels. I think most were Landore engines at some point: certainly I 'copped' them pretty early on. The first two were named 'City of Truro' and 'North Star', then three named 'Isambard Kingdom Brunel', 'Sir Daniel Gooch' and 'George Jackson Churchward'; the remainder carried names from early Broad-Gauge locos, with D1671's name going to D1677. 

Hi Dave,

Can you just expand on earlier grn/syp-later grn/syp please, does that mean with  or without Offwhite/Light grey Grilles?? and if so which way round is it??  thanks for your time and effort.

Regds

Chris

Chris,

SYP = small yellow panel/end, FYP = full yellow panel/end, the early green scheme had the off white grilles and body stripe, the later green was all over. It is much better to have a colour picture or two to work to especially if you're going to 'weather' the model. Also the small yellow ends were applied slightly differently on some locos. 

Let me know which loco(s) you're going to model and I'll point you in the direction of some colour pics.

Dave

Sounds like a great project Chris! Looking forward to seeing this one develop, with the period you'll have plenty of interesting shunting manoeuvres.

What's plan B?!?!?!?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jez

When I originally typed that post it was meant as a joke!!--however-I have since made some sketches for a feasibility study and it might work!!  The answer "Leaked out" in post 30 -my answer to PD&SWJR(post 29)--A Through Jct Stn feeding North and South Cornwall as much to satisfy my liking for certain SR stock as much as my liking for certain aspects of MR & WR Ops (would appreciate your thoughts on this though).

Chris

Chris,

BR (WR) & BR (SR) shared track between Devonport jcn & Plymouth as the SR main line came in from north/mid Cornwall (under the Devon end of Brunel's viaduct)  and joined with the WR main line for the run into Plymouth North Rd....there is much under-modelled interest there.

'The Okehampton Line' by 'The Irwell Press' is the perfect book to show you around the area.

http://www.irwellpress.com/acatalog/SOUTHERN_RAILWAY.html

Dave    

....probably the rarest was the occasional 33 over the Okehampton route Craig...at least one pic of a troop train hauled by a 33 in 'The Okehampton Line' book mentioned above. Alas, this troop train was destined for Tavistock and obviously didn't enter Cornwall in doing so...I'll see if one of the others did. 

Dave

This view might be of interest; not Cornwall, I know, but pretty close:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5730109928/in/set-72157626616886621

I recommend going into this site; go into 'sets' and pick out whichever area/era takes your fancy.

HI F.C.

Had a quick look, then saved to Favourites, very useful, thanks for that.

Chris

Chris,

BR (WR) & BR (SR) shared track between Devonport jcn & Plymouth as the SR main line came in from north/mid Cornwall (under the Devon end of Brunel's viaduct)  and joined with the WR main line for the run into Plymouth North Rd....there is much under-modelled interest there.

'The Okehampton Line' by 'The Irwell Press' is the perfect book to show you around the area.

http://www.irwellpress.com/acatalog/SOUTHERN_RAILWAY.html

Dave    

Dave ,

Many thanks for that link--Added to an ever growing list of useful Books to Buy--And adding to my choices for modelling!!

Chris

In fact - a new thread on green diesel electrics in Cornwall would be interesting. Very few class 25s worked in Cornwall in Green, class 47s were the obvious workers visiting from 1966 I believe on the Sittingbourne tanks, and right up till the mid 70s when the livery was phased out.

In fact - a new thread on green diesel electrics in Cornwall would be interesting. Very few class 25s worked in Cornwall in Green, class 47s were the obvious workers visiting from 1966 I believe on the Sittingbourne tanks, and right up till the mid 70s when the livery was phased out.

Craig,

A good point---actually I i'd like to enlarge that to cover ALL green loco's D/Electric and D/Hydraulic if you've no objection!!

Chris

Chris,

SYP = small yellow panel/end, FYP = full yellow panel/end, the early green scheme had the off white grilles and body stripe, the later green was all over. It is much better to have a colour picture or two to work to especially if you're going to 'weather' the model. Also the small yellow ends were applied slightly differently on some locos. 

Let me know which loco(s) you're going to model and I'll point you in the direction of some colour pics.

Dave

Dave ,

Sorry for delay in responding, thanks for your offer of help with photo's--I'll take you up on that When I get my first peaks--But do you know if any of the Bachmann/Farish loco's are correct?? ( got any Green 25's in SW).

Chris

Remember the Westerns and Warships were painted maroon as well as green.  I never saw a green Western and only a couple of green Warships in the 60s (my Pre camera days).  Rugd1022, has compiled lists of Class 52 liveries here: Part 1 & Part 2

Paul,

Thanks for pointing that out, I was getting a bit of a "Blinkered" complex there forgetting the Maroon liveries!!

Chris

Chris,

N/2mm is outside of my area of knowledge...I've only dealt with 4mm and tend to do my own paint jobs regardless of the original livery of the model.

Someone else on the thread will have the gen though. 

Dave

Dave,

Just had to ask--now i'm going back to reading the Sulzer link I've been given.

Chris

Archived