The idea here is to model a 'what if' scenario.

What if Network Rail put the PCV into Departmental use?

With roller shutters and a cab at one end it could be a useful vehicle to send out for trackside maintenance in push /  pull mode, rather than sending out a consist with a top and tail.

From what I have read the PCV was tested by EWS over long distance mail workings before being scrapped altogether, so it must have had that capability.

I wanted this to be a simple job. I already had an unpainted Replica PCV kit lying around incomplete.

I do not have ideal spraying facilities and I was interested in trying out Plastikote Sunshine Yellow from my local B&Q - (this is because Halfords no longer stock Rover Inca Yellow) and hopefully not wreck it altogether.

So far results have been good. Provided the Plastikote can is warmed up on a radiator and sprayed in warm, dry conditions the aerosol is pretty good. As soon as it is cold or humid you get bad splatter and thick coats which remain tacky for a very long time. (Fortunately many days on the radiator eventually dries it out).

It is certainly a more orangey-yellow than my Bachmann Class 57 NR and I will send in comparisons later. However I have always told myself I will not buy Precision paints until I get my layout sorted out. (So far I have only got foam baseboards made up and a loft to line with insulation :sad_mini2: )

Here are the results so far...

post-14312-0-01197200-1384026448_thumb.jpg

Now a bit of head scratching as to whether and how to number this vehicle...at the moment I am think DB 94301

• RMweb Premium

Now a bit of head scratching as to whether and how to number this vehicle...

The PCV's - Propelling Control Vehicle - were only originally used on short movements into mail terminals where full driving control wasn't needed. However, there's nothing to stop your "what if" scenario with the possible conversion to. full driving capability

The recent NR rerailing vans, converted from Super GUVs are numbered 971001-971004, at present, I think 971005 upwards haven't been used.

Cheers,

Mick

As Mick says, unlike the DBSOs and DVTs the PCVs were never intended for use as a full driving vehicle - simply to enable locomotives to reverse out of the new Railnet termini and run around their trains (hence PCVs were marshalled at both ends of the rake) without the need for a second loco.

An interesting what-if nonetheless.

• RMweb Gold

as others have indicated PCVs were only used for propelling moves, primerily into wembley royal mail depot, they are unable to control the power of the loco, only the train brake, the RES 47s and 67s that worked with the PCVs have PACS displays in the cabs (propelling advisory control system) which is basically a box with a series of lights that, as the driver/shunter in the PCV opened the "power" control the driver in the loco could see on the display how much power was needed (iirc its 5 lights on the display) and adjusted the throttle to suit, the PCV driver then operated the brake as they required, it all worked through the RCH cables through the train

its one of those things that despite signing 47s and 67s i've never taken a picture of the cab unit to show you!

as for a what if, yeah go for it, before i knew how a PCV/PACS worked my mail train was propelled everywhere on the layout!

Archived