Green liveried diesel electrics in Cornwall

winterbournecm

Following on from the super peak thread about green liveried locos in Cornwall, I thought it would be interesting to see the workings of all diesel electric green liveries in the Duchy. I have seen only one class 31 & 25 green photo in Cornwall, both on the CRS website, and obviusly just the one of the Peak at Penwithers too. There is a green liveried class 25 at Ponsondane in the Bradford Barton Diesels on Cornwall's mainline, but images are relatively rare.

Class 08s were probably around in green too.

Whilst photos are welcome, discussion on the thread excludes visitors such as D200, the 1985 GWR repaints and any post privatisation locos.

• RMweb Gold

Class 08s were probably around in green too.

I remember seeing D3509 & D3510 at Truro when we were on holiday in 1959. I think these were in green without wasp stripes at the time, they were virtually new from works.

No photos, 08s were common as muck round our way so only surviving photos are steam and hydraulics.

• RMweb Premium

Sticking strictly to the topic of diesel-electrics since we know that many hydraulics and mechanicals were green I recall seeing a few two-tone green 47s at Penzance including one or two of the "namers".  This would be around 1967-8.   I personally don't recall a green Peak though there is evidence of a very few such workings and I never saw a Cornish "rat" (other than the verminous kind down the back of Newlyn seaman's mission ;) ) until their blue days.  

I'm not too sure now which working(s) brought the 47s in as everything else at the time was in the hands of hydraulics.  Perhaps they replaced the D600s directly or indirectly as those were withdrawn at the end of 1967 and were working the overnight trains as far as Plymouth almost to the end.   

Pretty sure the first 47 crossed the Tamar in '67, when one was sent down to St.Blazey for crew training for use on the 'Clayliner' service up to Stoke. The inaugral Clayliner was worked by D1670 'Mammoth' which carried a headboard on the first trip. In 1967 all of the WR namer 47s were still in green and I'd lay even money on all of them crossing the Tamar while in this livery. The first one to go blue was 1662 'I.K.B.' in December '68, with the rest following over the next few years until 47 091 'Thor' was the last one in 1975 I think.

The green 25s which made it into the Duchy didn't stay green for long though, D7575 went back to Derby for overhaul fairly early on and came back in blue / FYE with corporate style '7575' numbers on all four cabs. Like wise D7577 (as mentioned in the Bradford Barton book, photographed at Long Rock while shunting the Ponsandane tripper).

• 4 weeks later...

An interesting thread. There was a pair of class 33's that worked to St Germans on an '18 plus' special in 1970. At least on of them would probably have been green. I believe this working happened again the following year. It must also rank as one of the only excursions to St Germans, there's only a village there! A photograph exists in Modern Railways but I don't think the caption rreports the numbers. They were as far as I know the firstb 33's to cross the tamar. A clas very rarely seen west of Exeter St Davids before 1970.

Archived