Pappendeckel buildings – something new...

Hi all of you!

I’ve finally got round to posting this build of a railroad facility. And not only this one, other card buildings will follow – eventually.

The micro layout I’ve been working on during the summer now has to hibernate. To keep me entertained I turned to cardboard buildings (German word for cardboard is Pappdeckel or Pappendeckel). These I can do in the warm living room, avoiding to change several times a day to the cellar.

As already laid out in my build thread I came across a website presenting various German station buildings – most of them disused now.

One of these (the 7th entry) was in Marienfelde, then a suburb of Berlin. It is rather typical of the minor official buildings of the KPEV (the Royal Prussian Railway Administration) during the late 1800’s/early 1900’s. But this style was not confined to old Prussia. Similar buildings could be seen (perhaps not so often) in – inter alia – Wuerttemberg, northern France, Flanders, Czechoslovakia …

This card kit comprises five items: the main station building, the goods shed, a waiting bulding, the toilet, and a signal box. There was also a kiosk, a stable with washhouse, and a second signal box – just pictures only, no card kit available (who cares, must then go freelancing…). Thus the whole facility encompassed no less than eight structures! What appealed most at the beginning of the whole adventure was the cladding of the station building with wooden planks; I was quite interested to do the same with my model. But the idea to create a complete ensemble was intriguing enough to continue later.

I downloaded the templates and, after converting them from .PDF to .GIF files, printed them out in the correct scale (they were 1:120 on A4 paper, I need 1:87).

First I bodged the main building together – plain paper, therefore wonky and dented, but really to my satisfaction as a mock up:

post-12822-0-76587000-1384100628.jpg

The structure in its proper form (i.e. card etc.) will follow soon! Watch this space…

Regards

Armin

Edit: title change

Not so much waffle here:

The paper mock up shown above was to reckon size and shape and how to hang the parts together.

After I was satisfied with what I saw then there followed the usual steps: a second printout (black&white to save precious colour ink) serves as “base layer” and became glued to card:
post-12822-0-39882700-1384597391.jpg

cut this out:

post-12822-0-24768100-1384597449.jpg

then the “cover layer” (again Scalescenes lingo) in the form of 0.8mm balsa sheet (already weathered with a wash of black water colour):

post-12822-0-73098900-1384597547.jpg

windows inserted:
post-12822-0-08747100-1384597591.jpg

roof (blackened masking tape) attached & weathered:
post-12822-0-06692100-1384597630.jpg

Next structure was the goods shed – will follow soon! Watch this space…

Regards

Armin

Here again!

As already said, the card kit comprises five buildings, the second being the goods shed.

It was rather easy to make: no complicated base layer/cover layer combo. Rather the brick/timber-paper (ink jetted – I’m still shy of a laser printer) directly glued on 1.5mm cardboard, windows openings cut out, windows (OHP sheet) glued in, walls folded, stabilized with a card bracket. Later came the wood covered platforms with their piers – a few hours later the roof too:

post-12822-0-44127100-1385069417_thumb.jpg

Other side:
post-12822-0-34955500-1385069780.jpg

Then attached to the main building:

post-12822-0-65112800-1385069449_thumb.jpg

The same, track/platform side:

post-12822-0-18476900-1385069869.jpg

Hope you enjoy, all comments and suggestions welcome!

Yes, I know, most of these pictures have already been shown in my thread “Double Yard”. But this here is my cardboard building thread. So the above blahblah plus pics are not more than an introduction.
Here I will present various other buildings not yet shown – in the order as they will be built.

Watch this topic, more to follow soon.

Armin

Tank you all for the likes!

A supplement to the main station building here: steps and chimney added:

post-12822-0-10296300-1385238380.jpg

–  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –

Another short instalment (no wonder, it’s a small building):

Finally something new is coming: next item on the to-do-list was the workers’ shed, intended as canteen as well as shelter for the railroad workers.

Again rather simplistic to make: in this case I used grey printouts of the card kit as “base layers” for the walls. Reason: I wanted to cut the openings before covering the walls with the appropriate brick/timber-paper ("cover layer"), thereafter to put the window acetates behind them:

post-12822-0-32545500-1385238402.jpg

Unfortunately the two prints didn’t match (communication problem between IrfanView and my silly printer). So I had to just glue the cover layer onto the walls and now have a building without any sunken relief :sarcastichand: ; only consolation: at least I have YELLOW glazing bars (nearly impossible to print on an OHP sheet):

post-12822-0-60305200-1385238423.jpg

Still, this humble structure nicely fits into the whole group of buildings, me thinks… …if you don't look too closely at it :blind:

But perhaps I will undertake this project again – then with transparent windows etc.; have enough card, paper and ink.

And time!

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Armin

Oh no why did you put up the link to that German site, it's excellent, buildings and research!  I have two layouts unfinished and that inspired me to start another.  Particularly when I saw this in a model shop in Duesseldorf last week.

http://www.fleischmann.de/de/product/180267-0-0-1-1-0-0-002001/products.html

(Dampflokomotive 1802 (bay. D VI) der Königlich Bayerischen Staats-Eisenbahnen).

Keep posting.

Best regards

Andrew

... that inspired me to start another.  Particularly when I saw this in a model shop in Duesseldorf last week.

(Dampflokomotive 1802 (bay. D VI) der Königlich Bayerischen Staats-Eisenbahnen).

Yes, Adrian, this little thing looks very nice. And it even may run quite well…

BUT - you have seen the price tag? Even with DCC and sound it's incredible, ridiculous.

Either we will have to wait until it emerges with a lower tag (much lower) from the 'net or resort to something else.

Regards

Armin

PS: oh, it was not me who put up this link - you have to blame shortliner - he led me to said site!

Oh no why did you put up the link to that German site, it's excellent, buildings and research!  I have two layouts unfinished and that inspired me to start another.  Particularly when I saw this in a model shop in Duesseldorf last week.

Keep posting.

Best regards

Andrew

Dear Father Christmas

I've been a very good boy this year and haven't spent TOO much on trains and have helped with house work and washing up and gardening and shopping and car washing and ironing and visiting mother-in-law and lots of other things which have stopped a lot of modelling time so please can I have one 'cos I won't have much time next year either for the same reasons and I WANT ONE!!!!

And there'll be mince pies and sherry for you.

If you bring me the Green one..................

Love

PS Mrs 5050 would like one too.

Although she doesn't know this.

Yet.

PPS Nice buildings BTW :derisive:

Dear Father Christmas

I've been a very good boy this year … and I WANT ONE!!!!

And there'll be mince pies and sherry for you.

If you bring me the Green one..................

Love

PS Mrs 5050 would like one too.  Although she doesn't know this.  Yet.

PPS Nice buildings BTW :derisive:

Thanks, 5050. And be patient, Santa has still four weeks to get it ready for you. IF he likes mince pies and sherry…

Next building: the signal box.

This little building is freelanced, despite the fact that the Marienfelde card kit contains a two-page PDF-file to make an appropriate structure.

But the original card kit seemed a bit too large WRT the whole ensemble; in addition, I wanted another building clad with real wood. (“a bit too large…” – in fact around the year 1900 the prototype station had not only this signal box, rather it sported TWO of them… Maybe, because they were just ground-leveled, therefore insufficient oversight?)

So I designed what I thought would fit. Obviously it is somewhat more recent than the other buildings – modellers liberty here introduced a bit of technical progress…

I had to do some thinking on how to make it, sometimes procrastination pays.

As usual: first the card walls constructed and cut out (no base layers needed here).

post-12822-0-08211400-1385842973.jpg

It turned out that I had forgotten that I wanted a slightly canted roof, so things went a bit tight… but it worked.

In the depths of my bits box I unveiled a rather large factory window (preprinted, Auhagen.de, see img. above). This – turned 90° – seemed a nice fit as a corner window:

post-12822-0-70304300-1385843021.jpg

A bit tricky to keep the slim edges above it together – later with the aid of a matchstick there was no problem:

post-12822-0-89566100-1385843060.jpg

The roof is corrugated brass (Architekturbedarf.de) – duly weathered. And also out of the bits box there emerged a little platform and a ladder – the latter (no p.i.) just lurking around the corner:

post-12822-0-78327500-1385843102.jpg

Handrails still to be made; this another FIRST in my efforts to get to grips with modelling. So watch this space – much more to follow…

Comments welcome as always.

Armin

Not much waffle this time:

The railings adorning the stair at the signal box were to be made of AWG28 wire – I never before had tried to solder such fine bits. In addition they had a little surprise for me. I had to do them twice – first time the angle between the handrail and the vertical struts was too large.

There was a piece of MDF with white plastic skin (leftover from an old cupboard). As a template I made grooves into the plastic; these should accept the wires and keep them in place – with the help of some sellotape

post-12822-0-25426700-1386455257.jpg

But the soldering of AWG28 wires didn't go not soooo bad (r/h of above img.).

Cause enough to try it again.

This time it all went better than I could hope: second effort – much better (angle as well as soldering):

post-12822-0-37402200-1386455299.jpg

And then painted black and glued to the stairway:

post-12822-0-07977200-1386456425_thumb.jpg

I think it looks the part - I'm rather satisfied with this first railing soldered together from scrap.

Watch this topic – this ensemble of railway buildings is by no means complete yet.

Your reflections and amendments are gratefully received!

Armin

PS: mind you: here we are definitely not rivet counting, rather it is a case of looking for the 'character' of the structures and to model accordingly.

Another short instalment (again a small building):

The following laundry & stable building again is freelanced. There is no Marienfelde card kit, just some pictures showing how it must have looked: chalked brick walls, tilted roof, various doors for the wash kitchen and the stock, resp.

So I got a basic design on cardboard:

post-12822-0-66857700-1387043869.jpg

After cutting I grabbed some brick paper (homebrew, CGTextures.com base GIMPed) to cover the humble box, then inserted doors made of – what else? – balsa wood:

post-12822-0-29317200-1387043884.jpg

As roofing I fancied some worn down corrugated sheeting. A tried and proven method is to score the aluminum sheets protecting some medical pills:

post-12822-0-43267500-1387043956.jpg

post-12822-0-39711000-1387043980.jpg

The result with rusted roof and dirty walls we see here:

post-12822-0-82219900-1387044000.jpg

post-12822-0-78333400-1387044025.jpg
(The edges have been tidied meanwhile…)

Apart from the scoring of alu sheets this was a real quickie. Simple, but an effective complement to the whole bunch of stuctures.

Now just the toilet missing…

Hope you like it?

So that's all for now, as usual all comments and criticism is welcome.

Armin

Very nice Armin. I remember you giving me the link to this thread not had a look uo until now. :( 

I do like the corrugated roofing and the soldering on the handrails is very neat. I doubt I would have the patience for that kind of work. 

Regards 

Scott 

Very nice Armin. I remember you giving me the link to this thread not had a look uo until now. :(

I do like the corrugated roofing and the soldering on the handrails is very neat. I doubt I would have the patience for that kind of work

Hi Scott, thank you for your comment – very encouraging! :imsohappy: 

Patience ?? In fact, not so much patience needed. To make these handrails was a rather quick thing. ;)

No, what really was needed, was some boldness: I had not thought that I would manage to get the fine wires, the soldering iron AND my ham-fisted fingers together.

Well, I tried – and it went surprisingly well! Bravery paid off! :sarcastic:

What says this Prof. K. everytime?

"Aim to Improve!"

Right he is! :good:

Kind regards

Armin

I like your roof there, Armin.  They always say that if trying to model metal why not use metal.

I am currently making some folding industrial lift doors for a model.  I am doing this out of heavyweight tin foil from a food container painted & salt-weathered, and whil I am having second thoughts about the paint effects it just seems correct being in an appropriate fabric.

It's good to read comments that peers make about my modelling. Thank you!

Still another building here: the toilet to complement the station.

The last in the group of structures published by Godwin T. Petermann in the site mentioned in the opening post is the outhouse – apparently for the passengers (not the staff). So needless to design my own little shelter for personal needs. Mr. Petermann made quite a nice card kit – this time it is even in H0= 1:87 (the other ones are TT=1:120, and had to be enlarged accordingly).

The downloaded .pdf-file was printed twice: a grey one serves as base layer (facilitates cutting), the coloured one makes the cover layer.

Here the 1/16” card already covered with the base layer, cut out (windows and doors) and folded:

post-12822-0-69368700-1387619043.jpg

Now the cover layer partly cut and laid out:

post-12822-0-88753600-1387619081.jpg

Card covered with cover layer, doors already in (windows missing):

post-12822-0-59081700-1387619109.jpg

After the windows too had found their place: all put together and roofed:

post-12822-0-52184200-1387619136.jpg

And they even had thought of a nice privacy fence – bit wonky, I know – well, mind the age (1890 style!):

post-12822-0-15546200-1387619165_thumb.jpg.

Hope you enjoy! Again your comments and encouragements are welcome.

Regards
  Armin

Edit: Thanx added

Thank you, britfarmer!

Now I made the old worker’s shed again.

Remember: the base and the cover layer didn’t match, the brick cover didn’t fit to the (already cut) windows. So I just glued the cover layer over all which resulted in paper windows… The whole stucture lacking relief, no see through windows!

Now there was the time to redo this. The inside with foamcore bracing (new!):

post-12822-0-01993400-1388505206.jpg

This time it did fit!

Now I had the relief I wanted! And real look-through windows!! Even with half-curtains…!!!

Lastly the whole thing “sheltered” with a simple roof:

post-12822-0-23519100-1388505247.jpg

post-12822-0-91944500-1388505270.jpg

–  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –

Now, at the end of the year, we come to the end of this project: finally we see the whole bunch as an ensemble. I just bodged all them structures together to have an overlook:

post-12822-0-72494300-1388505785_thumb.jpg  

post-12822-0-03618700-1388505382.jpg

post-12822-0-84285300-1388505397.jpg

Nice family, isn’t it?

Well, I know, the steamer has Belgian livery, but who cares? Me not. As already said I’m not a purist so I don’t mind having mixed stock and liveries.

Still, her prototype originally has been a Prussian class P8. So she fits quite well to the two Bavarian (!) 6-wheel coaches    :mosking:

Now it is time to wish all who have followed til here

a Happy New Year

Armin

PS: i.e.: no shorts, no derailments, no blotches on freshly painted stuff,

and – last but not least – an understanding She Who… :imsohappy:

PS2: (Bavarians and Prussians like each other like – well – English and Welsh (kinda))

PS3: and now I'm goin to look "Dinner For One" starring May Warden and Freddie Frinton – in Germany a Silvester eve cult movie!

• 5 months later...

Time to continue this long neglected thread, me thinks:

Back Office

In the meantime I had progressed well with my new layout Enigma Sidings. Now it needed some background – not a real background (depicting something far away), better said: a backscene just providing an enclosure.

I fancied a simple row of industrial buildings, not as overwhelming as in the case of Double Yard, but going from left to right.

Here a schematic overview:

post-12822-0-24008900-1403118709.gif

I had already decided against scratchbuilding (in this case). Instead I thought that this kit from the German manufacturer Auhagen would do the job quite well. My layout is HO = 1:87 or (your money:) 3.5mm. The kit is 1:100, i.e. a bit smallish for HO. Not bad IMHO (no pun intended) as it will sit at the far edge and thus provide some perspectivic diminution.

They are low relief buildings – very low.

It all looks quite nice (well, that’s a matter of taste…), the buildings being similar and making a uniform ensemble. There’s a drawback, however: the kit is printed on plain paper, no card in­volved. The paper is heavy and stiff, yes, but the structures inevitably will be rather weak. Also, the windows are printed together with the brick wall, the only proviso of relief are doors to be glued behind recesses, balconies and minimally overhanging roofs. And the instructions – less than basic!

Had I not gained already some experience with Scalescenes, I surely would have been lost. But heavy card and OHP sheets within reach made the task easy.

Most important was the decision to first scan the sheets I had bought and print them out (to save precious ink: in grey tones). Then I glued them to heavy card (1.5mm = 60thou) and used them as base layers for the following cutting.

Then I also cut the first of the original sheets – here seen standing, the still uncut heavy card in the foreground:

post-12822-0-03655500-1403118740.jpg

More to follow, watch this space!

Armin

Morning all!

Today just a short progress report:

First I glued the windows (homebrew on OHP sheet) into their places at the back of the original sheet; then the strengthening thick card with openings cut out went behind the glazings.

post-12822-0-77857400-1403684979.jpg

Thereafter came the doors at the resp. locations. The relief round the windows would have been much too deep, had I glued the thick card first and then the windows to­gether with the doors.

The manufacturer had provided for some strengthening by a paper box to be glued behind the upper door:

post-12822-0-52228300-1403685013.jpg

post-12822-0-13904500-1403685043.jpg

The whole structure assembled, just waiting for the back card:

post-12822-0-90539000-1403685068.jpg

And here the front, fitted with a couple of details (more to follow!):

post-12822-0-22017900-1403685282.jpg

post-12822-0-33268800-1403685316.gif

Hope you like it… More buildings will follow – much more and soon!

Armin

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all!

After the main building I tackled the additional structures. Method basically the same as above. So I let the images speak for themselves:

post-12822-0-56010200-1404593134.gif

post-12822-0-77405600-1404593171.gif

post-12822-0-75583200-1404593193.jpg

The roofs as provided by the manufacturer were all the same. Therefore I replaced some with corrugated sheet and shingles, another one I made somewhat steeper:

post-12822-0-10195300-1404593223.jpg

And now the whole group together:

post-12822-0-32919500-1404593259.jpg

Do not overlook the posh brick wall in the foreground (scratch built)!   Fences left and right will follow.

And even if it does not look very nice, here the backside of the backstage – simple system, works quite well:

post-12822-0-91851400-1404593289.jpg

Your comments and suggestions are welcome – as always.

Armin

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Armin,

I've started to follow your work and find it most enjoyable.

I have just decided to diversify and produce a fictitious layout with a Bavarian theme.

It will be an early era (sort of) and having started to make the buildings it becomes a really interesting subject, especially trying to research something which I know very little about.

Due to the slight lack of some models I've decided to have an open mind regarding loco's and stock and because of that I, like yourself will be running loco's / stock which give me pleasure. Some of my other projects will be attentive to the correct age/ period but having visited and thoroughly enjoyed Germany and stayed in Fussen my project will have an imaginary Banhof named Fussenburg !

I'm not rivet counting with this one, just going to have fun and play trains !

post-20303-0-40652200-1407180425_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-79696500-1407180456_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-50894300-1407180495_thumb.jpg

I'm using readily available kits and adapting them to suit my needs, and trying out various techniques.

Any comments welcome.

Happy modelling !

Grahame

P.S. It's even more awkward not being fluent in german !!! :)

Hi Grahame,

thank you for your favourable comment – makes modelling for a fisthanded guy quite worthwhile!

Your two model buildings – the Stellwerk and the Empfangsgebäude – already look promising. And I think it's wise to be not too nitpicking. South German railroads were quite different considered over some decades, this applies to structures as well as to rolling stock.

So go along this way – it would be nice to see progress in a new thread. It's already very promising! Honestly!

Regarding German model railroads I would recommend the site "Stummiforum", especially the Hall of Fame there. Well, it's all written in German, but the pictures alone may keep everybody interested engaged for quite a while…

Regards

Armin

PS: sorry for the late reply - I'm not looking every day into my old threads.

• 4 months later...

It’s time to add a bit to this thread, me thinks…

The other day John Wiffen of Scalescenes announced the release of the new “Low Relief Factory”. Really useful on small layouts and on dioramas.

Soon I downloaded the kit and started building it. Should fit nicely into my freshly planned micro layout with 45x70cm. I thought, however, that this three-storey building would be a bit too dominant on such a small area. So I discarded the upper floor and went along. No problem since this structure is made up in a modular way. In addition in can be made with or without a loading ramp and fitting awning.

For the first time I did not use the common grey card, instead I tried FINNPAPPE *)  Result: quite successful, I’m very satisfied. Will stick to this stuff.

The first stage, windows printed on OHP sheet added:

post-12822-0-19343400-1420115702_thumb.jpg

Due to the location of the siding approaching the loading platform I needed not a really flat relief building but a half relief one. So I bodged a side wall together: used a second printout of the page with the Corner Cover, added a bit plinth and other bits and pieces.

Here we are:

post-12822-0-04907400-1420115747_thumb.jpg

Internal bracing is better for sturdiness:

post-12822-0-02489800-1420115775_thumb.jpg

That’ll make a nice backing for a small layout – more buildings to follow…

Armin

*)    Finnpappe : “…no word for it in English dictionary – is a product made of ground wood pulp…” (elsewhere in't net) instead of paper fibres (as common grey card is).
Lighter than grey card (light beige) and softer but quite stiff. Much easier to cut, doesn’t dull knife edges as quickly as grey card. Cutting arcs is a pleasure – compared to common card.

Therefore well suited – and in Germany widely used in pro­fessional modelling circles (e.g. architects).

Archived