N gauge Class 17 'Clayton' Locomotive

DJM Dave

It has gone a bit quiet on the DJM product threads here, but I was reading in the May Model Rail that metal cutting for the the N Gauge Clayton's tooling would be underway by the time that publication was with it's readers. If so, that is very good news indeed (if not for my wallet!).

Dave, there is no news here or on the DJM website timeline, if you get a chance to clarify it would be very much appreciated.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Not a lot to add at the minute as testing is going on, on the UK specified and designed PCB board, and I'm just waiting for the final cad/cam incorporating not only that but the slightly sloping fuel tank sides.

I've got the cad/cam engineers working flat out at the moment, almost exclusively for me, so things are coming together nicely.

However like you, I hate silence, but I'd rather be quiet than say something is "coming in this quarter, next month or is in the tool room" etc when it isn't!

I hope you understand?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Dave

Thanks for clarifying. I felt that you would have posted an update if there had been any news which is why the article in Model Rail confused me somewhat. I am happy to be patient, after all, I never thought the day would come when I would be able to buy a Clayton RTR in N, never mind a "state of the art" one or even better a pair!

Regards

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

a small update for me on this project.

Namely the fuel tank has had a speaker grill put into the bottom of it for DCC sound. To fit the speaker and decoder in there though, you will need to hard wire the decoder and remove the pcb board for extra space. However you could consider fitting the speaker (sugar cube type) within the cab but this would ruin the see through asthetics.

The fuel tank has also been slightly angled ( internal space committing)

I have 1 more extremely small change to have made, probably by next week when I shall authorise metal cutting on this model.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-44007900-1399027444_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-36434100-1399027544_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hello Dave,

the images looks great. I can't wait to receive the model.

Markus

Mmmmmm..........................Anyone know anything more about the rumours that ER tried to get rid of their batch to the WR just as some of the Class 14s were going the other way ? :O

• 2 months later...

Hi Roy,

Well the OO gauge J94 should have first shots in a month or so.

Once I've moved that on, the 17 will follow.

One thing I'm having to be really careful on is that all prices ( as you probably know) have shot up 20% this year in China. I don't want to pass that on to customers on these models, for at least the first announced runs, as this isn't, in my mind, fair. So I'm not going to.

Instead I'm going to absorb it, and hopefully gain friends, even if items get put back in the tool or on due to cash flow.

If things change, I'll be happy, but as such, at this moment I'm not going to push things with monies I don't have.

Maybe I should have done the 17's as a Kickstarter project ;-) lol

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for clarifying.

Although a hardened N gauge modeller I doubt I am alone in looking forward to seeing the test shots of the 00 J94. If it is as good at that stage as the Kernow 02 (no reason to think it won't be) then modellers are surely in for a treat when it is released.

I think it is very honourable of you to stick to original prices and I am sure that winning friend with that approach is exactly what you will do.

Regards

Roy

• 4 weeks later...

@Dave,

I've pre-ordered a weathered Class 17 but am thinking I need a pair. Will you be producing any weathered dummy Clayton,s I'm thinking ideally I'd like a a powered/dummy weathered pair in BR Green SYWP.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave,

Any news from the front ?

Cheers and hope all well in DJ land!

Robert   

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the mail.

The class 17 is due to go into the tool room soon. Unfortunately, due to 3 Chinese price rises since I announced it and another on the way, added to my non willingness to raise my model prices to compensate, my cash flow has been affected to the point that the J94 in OO will be first, then profit from this will go to the class 17, 23 and J94 tooling.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the mail.

The class 17 is due to go into the tool room soon. Unfortunately, due to 3 Chinese price rises since I announced it and another on the way, added to my non willingness to raise my model prices to compensate, my cash flow has been affected to the point that the J94 in OO will be first, then profit from this will go to the class 17, 23 and J94 tooling.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

At the end of the day it is not my place to tell you how to run your business. Personally though I would be happier if you didn't make commitments not to raise your prices as indicated above as I would have thought (and I'm no accountant) that in the medium to long term this is not sustainable for a business. I think if you are open and honest about changes in the Chinese production costs, most people would accept those increases - and those that don't, well do you really want their business anyway? Ultimately some will not be able to afford those increased prices, but it's not your job to subsidise their hobby.

I have an order in for a pair of Clayton's and will have to makes some small financial sacrifices even at the existing price given the ongoing collapse of the Aussie dollar. If the price increases I am prepared to make further sacrifices because I don't see your business as charity and I appreciate your commitment to this particular model.

It's early days for DJM and we all want to see it succeed and to do that it needs a strong financial foundation. An item should be priced at what it costs to manufacture plus a reasonably return on investment for the producer - its quite simple despite some of the numpties on here who would seem to suggest otherwise.

Increases in Chinese labour costs are what they are, and ultimately an item is what it costs. It doesn't make life easy, but I don't think you should be in fear of that.

Cheers and good luck, Mark 

• RMweb Gold

Dave ,

Thanks for update. I have to second Mark`s  comments please do not end up on beans on toast! I am sure J94 will fly off shelves but say a small increase across the range will not kill the bird. Especially as you can use forum to explain needs more easily than the likes of the big boys.

Still keep at it and enjoy xmas as only you can on Merseyside !!!!

Do I finish my cut and shut 117 or wait for a Kernow one ? 

Regards

Robert        

• 1 month later...

Just picked up the February issue of Model Rail and inside the wrapper is a Hattons catalogue containing an introduction to Dave and DJM which is a nice touch.

This features not only his special commissions for Hattons but also some information regarding his own range. Interestingly (and first time I have seen anything in writing regarding timescales) the Clayton is shown as being due "After 2016" as are the other two initial N announcements (j94 and Baby Deltic). I wonder if this is correct, if so still quite a wait.

Roy

Just picked up the February issue of Model Rail and inside the wrapper is a Hattons catalogue containing an introduction to Dave and DJM which is a nice touch.

This features not only his special commissions for Hattons but also some information regarding his own range. Interestingly (and first time I have seen anything in writing regarding timescales) the Clayton is shown as being due "After 2016" as are the other two initial N announcements (j94 and Baby Deltic). I wonder if this is correct, if so still quite a wait.

Roy

I noticed  that,  Hattons  have  been  sending  out  the  Catalogue  for  a  few  days  now  with  orders  The  stated  date  is  AFTER  APRIL  2016 and  it  refers  to  all n  Hauge  proposed products ( Class 17, Baby Deltic  & J94)

For  Info  the  0 gauge proposals  ( Baby Deltic  &  J94) are  also listed  as   after  April 2016

00 listings Raven Q6 listed  as  after April 2016  and  the   J94  April 2015 so that is  a bit  earlier.

Although the  word  'after'  could  imply anything  I suppose

Edited by Stevelewis

Hi guys,

I think Hattons have printed this in error as I actually wasn't asked about timescales on these models.

As soon as the J94 in introduced, the tooling on both the 17 and 23 wil be started, if. It before then as ideally I'd like the 17 out before years end (2015) with the 23 shortly after it.

Hope you liked the interview Roy? There's another in BRM at the moment too.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

how about including a driver? maybe this would somewhat disguise the below window line motor, along with a covering as prev mentioned.

Tim

Not everyone likes a driver. A driver can be added as a spare. It looks absolutely ridiculous reversing a diesel or electric with the driver frozen in one cab/facing one side..... Wish Bachmann stopped adding those ugly moulded things they call drivers.

Hi Dave

It was an unexpected discovery in the catalogue so I'm glad I looked through it for once instead of putting it straight in the recycling!

It is a very positive article and the way it has been presented looks to cleverly encompass the DJM branding too (subliminal message??!!). Some of the content is known to those of us who have access to RM Web and other such Groups, but to many it will be all new.

What I found of particular interest was the level of expertise already present at Hattons including the capability to review CADs themselves and do all their own artwork/livery samples, but given the number of graduates of varying kinds on their payroll maybe it shouldn't have! 

For me I guess the only negaqtive is that they haven't commissioned anything N Gauge from you but stuck to 00. I know the Market is much smaller but the right product pitched at a competitive price would not (I believe) be too much of a risk. It need not be a big mainline loco, there are plenty of smaller locos (both steam and diesel) including possibly even industrial types that might have a wide appeal and be achievable within a realistic "price point" for the Market. Still it is their money and their business I guess!

Turning to the "Clayton". My comment wasn't intended as any kind of criticism and hopefully wasn't interpreted as such. I was just surprised to find the information in the article when it hadn't been publicised anywhere else. Clearly a mistake, and they happen, thank you for clarifying. For quite a few modellers I know have spoken to  it is a very keenly awaited model and will seemingly find many homes under "Rule 1"!

Regards

Roy

• 5 months later...