Styrene Sleepers & Timbering ?

• RMweb Premium

No, you are quite right. I discovered all this purely by accident of course. When Len Newman (C&L) or Alan Gibson (can't remember which now) first gave me some pre-production sample chairs for testing/review along with some plastic sleepers I soon ran out of the sleepers, but had plenty of chairs left. Trying the combination of the chairs with the S4 ply sleepers and strip was just an idea I had, and of course I just used the glue that I happened to have to hand......

In the review I did for Dave Lowery/Your Model Railway - remember the mag? - I mentioned that they worked fine with ply sleepers, which didn't go down too well as I recall, and is why I am pleased that today it is a more accepted method. I'm currently playing with the combination in 2mm scale with 2mmSA Easitrac chairs, where it seems to work just as well as it always has, again using Mek-Pak.

Izzy

Hello,

What are peoples thoughts regarding fastening of stockrails when using ply sleepers and plastic chairs where the slide chairs for the switch blades fit?How do you maintain the stockrail guage and stop it moving around?Perhaps rivets/chairs combined?

trustytrev.

Hello,

What are peoples thoughts regarding fastening of stockrails when using ply sleepers and plastic chairs where the slide chairs for the switch blades fit?How do you maintain the stockrail guage and stop it moving around?Perhaps rivets/chairs combined?

trustytrev.

Hello,

trustytrev.

Trustykev

Firstly check that your stock rail is straight, a very slight (minute) curve outwards for the straight stock rail. The curved stock tail will keep its gauge as it will be pressing against the chairs. Good tip to use super glue, also a dab of solvent will also hold it.

Archived