Cutting out arched windows

johna

Hi Folks

I am cutting out some arched windows but am finding it difficult getting a clean cut for the curved part of the window. I have tried to use coins, bottle tops and a small plate but they have not worked. There must be a simple way to cut them out. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Johna

Branwel's spot on, Johna.  I bought one to cut all the arches and window openings in the engine shed I built earlier this year (thickish card).  A bit of practice and you soon get the hang of it.

Here's the beginnings....

post-11262-0-88822000-1384688020_thumb.jpg

... and here it is close to finishing.

post-11262-0-54368100-1384688036_thumb.jpg

A compass cutter as mentioned above but I've also found these to be worth their weight in gold....

http://www.kozy-homes.co.uk/products/20301-00,am-tech-12-piece-hollow-hole-punch-set-1-8-3-4-for-leather-vinyl-card-gasket?sos=googleps&gclid=CLKksqKk7LoCFYnnwgod_jMAmw

You'll find them all over eBay with varying prices.

Cheers,

Mark

EDIT- I just noticed I linked to an imperial set. They are available in metric. (That's what I use).

As well as the devices another alternative is before you actually start cutting the curve of the arch is to cut out the square below the arch and then cut up the curve of the arch from the centre into loads of segments, then it is easy to cut round the arch as each segment drops out as you go.

I have now got hold of a compass cutter, but I still find it quite hard to use.  Perhaps this is because the temptation is to try and make the cut out in a one-er.

I think I have had just as accurate results either drawing the arc with a standard compass or printing out what I need to cut then making a very delicate score.  I then follow this score line very carefully over and over until the card is cut through.  

With a little bit of work with an emery board it is difficult to tell the difference!

To cut 1mm card with my compass cutter I will do five gentle strokes on one side then turn it over and put the point into the same hole from the other side and take another 4-5 strokes to cut through.

To be honest I find it easier to score with the cutter or even normal points and then cut using my segment method as above.

I have now got hold of a compass cutter, but I still find it quite hard to use.  Perhaps this is because the temptation is to try and make the cut out in a one-er.

I think I have had just as accurate results either drawing the arc with a standard compass or printing out what I need to cut then making a very delicate score.  I then follow this score line very carefully over and over until the card is cut through.  

With a little bit of work with an emery board it is difficult to tell the difference!

In card over 1mm I generally make several light passes with the radius cutter to make a little track to guide a narrow scalpel blade, one of the few occasions I use anything other than a Stanley Snap-off knife, and choose to turn the card under the blade rather than vice-versa. It seems to work better [for me] that way.

Doug

Thanks, Doug, turning the paper rather than the cutter is a very handy hint.  It's one of the hardest things to learn, cutting by many, many light passes of the blade rather than trying to hack through in one!

The best arc I have cut has the initial couple of passes done with a pair of standard dividers!  I then used my usual snap-off to run round & tidied up with an emery board.

• 1 month later...

Archived