The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Awesome Bang & Olufsen sound

Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Mornin' all,

Our last fundraising trip of 2013 was 'Christmas shopping in Harrogate' yesterday. The sun shone on the Colne to Harrogate via Skipton leg which made the Autumn shades of this part of the Yorkshire Dales even more attractive. Highlight of the day for me was being treated to a sound demo in the Bang & Olufsen shop

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/sound/loudspeakers/beolab-17?gclid=CKyT1ZfS67oCFYYewwodznIAZQ

Awesome is the only word.....well worth arranging a demo for yourselves.

Dave

....as always 'you get what you pay for'. I was researching layout based sound system options for TG at the time and whilst I wasn't convinced that it would be B&O who provide it...it didn't stop me being 'blown away' by what their systems can offer. 

Dave

• RMweb Premium

In the case of B&O I'm not sure it is so much quality as image. I used to have an employer who provided B&O TV's and stero systems in officers cabins on their ships and they tended to be quite short lived. After the ships were delivered and out of warranty when the B&O stuff stopped working it was replaced with LG, Samsung etc. TV's or Sony or Denon steros (replacements were off the ships O&M budget) and these replacements were massively cheaper, much more durable and at least as good as the B&O sound & vision quality.

....I can't speak for their entire current range or historical products but what I saw yesterday I hadn't seen elsewhere and was well worthy of consideration once the Bose 'cocks its toes' or else becomes too outdated.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

For stereo equipment you can get better performance and better value by going for seperates. A lot of shops will suggest well balanced packages of seperates and offer a package discount or if you just want a single component (eg. amplifier) offer listening opportunities and advice on matching it to other stuff. Must admit I'm not that much of an enthusiast of AV and just use one of those sound bars that are a big upgrade to the TV built in speakers without spending too much.

...I was 'red carded' by she who must be obeyed for my 'separates' system on space required/visible wires considerations...hence the Bose. I even designed our oak TV stand to accommodate our present home entertainment set-up in the most attractive way/least amount of space. However, the limited space/wire-less technology demands of the current B&O range puts them well in contention for supplying whatever happens next. 

Dave

Saw the topic's title and thought:

"How the bl00dy hell can they get their speakers into a 4mm 3500 gallon tender? I must read it as I could be tempted to add sound to my GWR fleet."

Some of us are quite sad, aren't we!

• RMweb Premium

...I was 'red carded' by she who must be obeyed for my 'separates' system on space required/visible wires considerations...hence the Bose. I even designed our oak TV stand to accommodate our present home entertainment set-up in the most attractive way/least amount of space. However, the limited space/wire-less technology demands of the current B&O range puts them well in contention for supplying whatever happens next. 

Dave

I had the same issue with my better half on hi-fi, we ended up with my having a combined hi-fi room/home office on the top floor with my seperates and a Denon mini system with decent speakers in the living room. I have to say that the Denon is remarkably good, considering it was bought as an unobtrusive music box for my wife who hates hi-fi gadgets and wasn't expensive (by hi-fi standards anyway) it really is good enough to do justice to properly good speakers.

• RMweb Premium

On B&O I do see the attractions, not so much in sound but it is undeniably stylish and has a wonderful feel to it, the stereos we had we those wall mounted tings that activate and open the glass doors when they detect a hand coming near and all the buttons and controls had a very nice feel. That doesn't do anything for sound quality but it did put a smile on my face.

As a hifi enthusiast since the 60's, I can see the visual appeal of B & O, but it does fall well short on the sound front and better sound quality can be had for less cost.  However in these days of iPod's and MP3 files, hifi sound quality will often come second to ease of use and design.   

The hard core enthusiast will always put sound quality first and appearance will follow a close second.

....the better half says that I'm not as 'hard core' as I thought I was and that the magic word 'compromise' will play a significant role in any future lounge hi-fi decisions....best not ask what the ultimate 'sound for the pound' system might be.

Dave     

As a hifi enthusiast since the 60's, I can see the visual appeal of B & O, but it does fall well short on the sound front and better sound quality can be had for less cost.  However in these days of iPod's and MP3 files, hifi sound quality will often come second to ease of use and design.   

The hard core enthusiast will always put sound quality first and appearance will follow a close second.

Spot on Gordon!

steve (long time naim enthusiast)

B&O is usually aimed at those who are rich enough to think they are avant-garde, and loads of people have fallen for it over the decades. It's a bit like the Citroen DS, which appealed for a while to arty-farty types as a classic car for people who otherwise knew nothing about cars, or Ligne Roset furniture - the bigger the price tag, the more "must have" it becomes, even though it's nothing particularly special.

There are better things to spend your money on, such as, er, Dapol "Westerns" or, er, Ultrascale "Beattie Well Tank" wheelset conversions.

Only three speaker makers have ever stood out for me in terms of sound quality and clarity: JBL (whose speakers somehow made it into my old BMW after I was made an offer I couldn't refuse), Bose (speakers which I can't afford), and Linn (speakers which I definitely can't afford).

B&O is usually aimed at those who are rich enough to think they are avant-garde, and loads of people have fallen for it over the decades. It's a bit like the Citroen DS, which appealed for a while to arty-farty types as a classic car for people who otherwise knew nothing about cars, or Ligne Roset furniture - the bigger the price tag, the more "must have" it becomes, even though it's nothing particularly special.

There are better things to spend your money on, such as, er, Dapol "Westerns" or, er, Ultrascale "Beattie Well Tank" wheelset conversions.

Only three speaker makers have ever stood out for me in terms of sound quality and clarity: JBL (whose speakers somehow made it into my old BMW after I was made an offer I couldn't refuse), Bose (speakers which I can't afford), and Linn (speakers which I definitely can't afford).

....as regards the models H...the fat lady is still in bed...I'll let you know once the Dapol products have demonstrated some sterling service on TG.

....as for hi-fi equipment...I'll enjoy a few years performance from the Bose first...then have a look at what is on the market.  

....as for layout based sound...I need to investigate why the American modellers are said to be at the forefront...then make some more decisions about equipping TG.

Dave

It's a bit like the Citroen DS, which appealed for a while to arty-farty types as a classic car for people who otherwise knew nothing about cars

You're better off not knowing what's inside a DS.

• RMweb Premium

I pass the local B&O dealership regularly, and I've never seen anyone in there.  I went in myself once and was studiously ignored by the sales team, I obviously didn't look like the type who would buy/could afford B&O.  I assume that you don't need to sell a lot at those sort of prices to make shop pay its way.

I don't doubt that the B&O sound quality is awesome, but you pay a hefty premium for the Designer Style.  I'm much happier in my nearby Linn/Naim/Arcam/Rega/B&W dealers.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

It's possible to beat any of these speakers into a cocked hat by building your own; not as difficult as it sounds, especially for those of us who build baseboards, use soldering irons etc...

Mine cost @£250 to build all in (excluding my time), finished in oak veneer so look good, and I've not heard anything to match them.

• RMweb Premium

IMHO Home built horn loaded units with a decent speaker installed will outperform most fancy hi-fi speakers.

I even knew of somebody who made brick ones in the corners of his room!

BTW how do you get totally "wireless" speakers?

You will need a fair bit of power to each speaker.

Are they stuffed full of AA batteries? :jester:

"Sorry sir but you need to replace the batteries after each song"

Keith

For stereo equipment you can get better performance and better value by going for seperates. 

The world of "propp-ah hi fi" has moved on quite a long way.

Several manufacturers of separates now offer all-in-one type solutions....sort of serious mini systems if you like... although quite a few of these products have now done away with a CD player altogether, now that streaming and digitally stored music (ripped CD's, downloads etc,) has become mainstream.

e.g.

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/unitilite

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/naimuniti

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/unitiqute

http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/network-music-players#majik

http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/network-music-players#kiko-dsm

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,solo,music-systems,soloneo.htm

Further down the food chain at High St. prices.....

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/minx-xi-digital-music-system

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=systems&subcatid=&productid=melodymediamcr610

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=networkproducts&subid=networkmusicsystems&productid=newceol

It's possible to beat any of these speakers into a cocked hat by building your own; not as difficult as it sounds, especially for those of us who build baseboards, use soldering irons etc...

Mine cost @£250 to build all in (excluding my time), finished in oak veneer so look good, and I've not heard anything to match them.

I've never yet come across an oak-veneered car stereo system. You may well be the first to make one......

Archived