Considering a First World War layout....opinions please

westcountryman

Hi everyone.

As next year is the 100 year anniversary of the start of hostilities of the First World War, I thought it may be a fitting tribute to those who had relatives who served, to construct a portable, small ( 4ft x 18") 00 gauge layout featuring an allied operating light railway & a portion of the trenches & battlefield.

Obviously, my intention is not to glorify conflict or cheapen the sacrifice of our forefathers, but to portray a section of the conflict, based on the Ypres area, as this is where my grandfather served with the Royal Garrison Artillery, so it is of personal interest to me & hopefully others.

What I do not want to do, is to offend any potential viewer, & thus, I will portray the railway operations, artillery battery placements, infantry & trench deployment & possibly tank movements, but I will take great care not to portray actual conflict, by avoiding any part of the diorama showing death or injury.

I am hoping to show this layout at my annual local club show, at Barnstaple in North Devon ( please see our club entry for dates & plans ) & I have discussed the layout & it's content with my fellow members, & they all appear quite happy for it to be included in the show itinerary.

Would you, the RMWeb membership be so kind as to give me some feedback as to your thoughts regarding my plans. As I say, I truly do not wish to glorify or offend anyone, so, if the membership thinks that this is in bad taste, please say so, as I can always re-plan along different lines.

Hopefully, by including the Railway Operating Department, the infantry, artillery, tank crews & Headquarters staff, I should be able to represent a reasonable cross section of those who served, whilst recreating a representation of the conditions in which they had to work, live & fight.

Thanks for reading this, & I await your thoughts with interest.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I think it's an excellent idea and (correct me if I'm wrong) totally unique.

Sorry to have to correct you, but there are at least two others on here, search for 'Ferme du Pont' in Layouts and 'Up the line' in Blogs. Both 7mm scale and both very good.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78399-tackeroo-the-cannock-chase-military-railway-project/

cannock chase is also going similar places

i can`t see any problem as far as "bad tatse" is concerned, if the layout is simply going to be an "act of rememberance" for folks who built railways under unimaginable conditions to serve troops at the front...

• RMweb Gold

The only problem with setting a  layout in the salient (as the area was well known among British soldiery) is that almost all of it was under German artillery fire - which is one particular reason why a battle was fought to gain the crest at Passchendaele - so you will have a problem avoiding 'actual conflict' even if that only means a myriad of shell holes.

I'm not sure where the standard gauge railhead was (Poperinghe?) but I would think the area back there was less likely to show any of the more distressing sites of war and potentially offer something a bit different with standard to n.g transfer?

I have seen several in exhibitions in recent years, most recently  'Q Dump Wipers' 1/35th scale.

To my eyes they have all been very well done, and I spent some time watching them.

I have also seen one from more recent conflict in the Gulf.

I would also say go for it, railways were an important part of the conflict in WWI.

As regards showing actual conflict, for most of the time railways were in the rear areas anyway, though within shelling range,

only becoming part of the fighting front line briefly as the fighting advanced or retreated.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Rob.

Its a difficult subject isn't it. Building a war themed layout is bound to upset someone. Speaking as an ex-gunner I would support such an endevour. You could build something along the lines of a standard gauge railhead with a narrow gauge line running off to feed a gun line. But if you intend it to be a tribute then you can't sanitise it, you need to include casulties and a field hospital with all the horror that that entailed as well as fresh troops ariving. Depending on when you wish to set the layout you could also include tanks, a troop of Royal Horse Artiliery limbering up to go forward, maybe a troop of cavilrey ready to go forward to explote a breakthrough by the tanks and of course trenches although proberbly only the start of the comunication trenches leading to the front line trenches. Its a lot of work before you even think about the railway itself. You could find yourself becoming a military modeler first and a railway modeler second. 4mm would be the beter bet as there is a lot of models avalible in 4mm. Guns, tanks, RHA and of course troops are all availble in 4mm scale or there abouts. Lots of 4mm standard gauge kits can be used ie Kirtleys and 2Fs from the midland just to name 2. Then of course theres the French stuff which would be in HO unless you scratch build......Lots to keep you busy for a long long time.

Best of luck if you go ahead with it, I might even volenteer to build some of the military stuff for you.

Regards Lez.Z.

• RMweb Premium

I had a broadly similar tribute in mind but time/money/ability have conspired against it. I did intend to involve the local Royal British Legion branch who I'm sure would be very willing to participate as I'm sure your local branch would also be.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

There are / have been a few layouts with a similar theme, but no reason not build your own.

As far as content is concerned, you may be better showing some of the support services, like the railhead / stores etc.

I have a book on the WW1 narrow gauge railways - which I'll bring along on Tuesday evening.

I agree that the British Legion representation complete with appropriate wreaths etc would be very appropriate.

Hello Westcountryman,

I think anything that might encourage somebody to ask questions about this conflict and the incredible sacrifices these REAL heros made for us is a very good thing. As for anybody who is offended, that represents the freedom these gallant folk fought for.

• RMweb Gold

A fine idea Rob. This has so many possibilities. I can see this developing.

In fact this type of layout/ diorama could form the basis of an interesting thread in its own right. Not a competition as such. That doesn't seem right but a thread running featuring W W 1 themed layouts or models.

Home front included of course.

Hi Rob,

I think that one way of looking at this is that are using a medium to tell a story. No.5322 was in ROD colours at Didcot for precisely that reason, to tell a massively important part of the locomotives, the railways, the nations and indeed European history. The ancient Egyptian book of the dead has an interesting angle on a related subject. They said something along the lines of 'to repeat the name those that are no longer with us is to help them live forever' and in my personal opinion, heroes like this should never be forgotten. So if it tells the story, is done with sensitivity and taste (there are probably a few lines of 'taste' that shouldn't be crossed at a model railway exhibition that could and indeed should very legitimately be crossed in a WWI museum where people are a little more prepared to confront the horrors of war and upset to the youngest exhibition goers in these arenas must be avoided) and that it helps the memory of these fine individuals carry on to the next generation while helping the current crop of servicemen and their families who are in trouble then go for it. My friends an I enjoyed the WWI layout at Alexandra Palace this year and had a great and very informative chat with the lady and gent operating it about the model and the history it portrayed. There was a nice looking book about the ROD published recently too which would be of massive help to you.

I look forward to seeing the layout.

All the best,

Castle

Archived