Resurrecting unused Portescaps

Coombe Barton

Whilst searching in a box I'd forgotten I had I found a couple of unused Portescap motors/gearboxes, an RG4 and a 1219. These must be 25 years old and I thought I'd lost them. They are, of course, ultra stiff and I don't want to put power to them until they have a chance of turning.

Has anyone any recommendation how (if) I could bring these back to life? I know their price 25 years ago and a search on eBay says they're fetching 2 1/2 times that today.

And secondly, are they really worth it or should I dispose of them and get a High Level equivalent? I could have a use for them, but don't want to play the fool (more than I do anyway) and spend time on them when I could be doing something more useful.

Whilst searching in a box I'd forgotten I had I found a couple of unused Portescap motors/gearboxes, an RG4 and a 1219. These must be 25 years old and I thought I'd lost them. They are, of course, ultra stiff and I don't want to put power to them until they have a chance of turning.

Has anyone any recommendation how (if) I could bring these back to life? I know their price 25 years ago and a search on eBay says they're fetching 2 1/2 times that today.

And secondly, are they really worth it or should I dispose of them and get a High Level equivalent? I could have a use for them, but don't want to play the fool (more than I do anyway) and spend time on them when I could be doing something more useful.

In your favour, I'd guess the stiffness is down to congealed lubricant on the gear shafts, which are accessible, rather than the motor bearings, which aren't.

But you've seen the going market rate for them. I'd wager you'd get a rather more than 'a' High Level box if you were to cash-in your Portescaps!

The Nim.

John,

I had the same problem, so took the motor off the gearbox and immersed the box in white spirit overnight to dissolve the old lubricant. Then reassembled and added new oil.

I used a light warchmakers oil, but think that there may have been a thread either on RMWeb or the S4 Society forum on suitable lubricants.

Jol

In your favour, I'd guess the stiffness is down to congealed lubricant on the gear shafts, which are accessible, rather than the motor bearings, which aren't.

But you've seen the going market rate for them. I'd wager you'd get a rather more than 'a' High Level box if you were to cash-in your Portescaps!

The Nim.

Looks that way - I've also found this thread - didn't come up when I searched before - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42037-lubrication-problem-with-portescap-motorgearboxes/

• RMweb Premium

John,

I had the same problem, so took the motor off the gearbox and immersed the box in white spirit overnight to dissolve the old lubricant. Then reassembled and added new oil.

I used a light warchmakers oil, but think that there may have been a thread either on RMWeb or the S4 Society forum on suitable lubricants.

Jol

I've used the same method as Jol very successfully with my "strategic reserve" of Portescaps; I certainly agree with NOT powering them up until the gearbox is running free.

I don't know what they were originally lubricated with, but the claim that they were "lifetime lubricated" certainly hasnt lasted.

Cheers, Dave.

PS  I'm sure there was a discussion on this some years back, might be worth doing a search.

they were trialled for some missiles not sure if they were ever used but life would be circa 25 years in storage..... so looks like that was a no go from the start!

OK, but maybe they tested missiles and didn't store them for 25 years in the back of the wardrobe :)

I have never quite understood the prices these seem to persistently reach on ebay just mention a Portescape and folk will double the price of the loco (perhaps simply to salvage the motor and gearbox)

They are good ... but surely not THAT good or AFAIC not at that sort of price.

• RMweb Premium

I have never quite understood the prices these seem to persistently reach on ebay just mention a Portescape and folk will double the price of the loco (perhaps simply to salvage the motor and gearbox)

They are good ... but surely not THAT good or AFAIC not at that sort of price.

I agree with Kenton.  I still use RG4s in my own locos; I have a small stock of them and pick them up when I can.  I'm certainly not prepared to pay Ebay sort of prices though.  Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with the excellent performance I get from a Mashima with a HighLevel gearbox.

Slaters produce an "RG4 Replacement" package:  https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?code=SG4  Definitely a quality piece of kit, but its still about twice the price of a Mashima/Highlevel combination.

Cheers, Dave.

If you don't want 'em, I'll have 'em.

My only comment is beware of some of the older Porterscap motors because they wine.  I have about 3 of them and when I get round to it will be selling them because they are so noisy.  I have tried the comet "solution" on one of them and whilst it is better it is still a lot noisier than the DJH gearboxes and motors.

I've never used a DJH gearbox, are they good?

Thanks, Dave.

Shall we say, in a different league. Or at least the old open frame ones are. They may have improved..... but one tends to stick with tried and trusted .... which I guess answers the above question on why Portscape continue to be so popular.

So just how good are High Level gearboxes? I have a few kit-built locos that I need to convert to DCC so I am prepared to re-wheel and fit new motors and transmissions - most are Romford Bulldog or even XO4 powered but do have old Romford drivers. I have built a Branchlines gearbox that seems ok but it does have a few issues, is the High Level that much better? Should I aim for a standard 40:1 reduction across the board to get a suitable scale speed and sure-footedness with a differential due to the range of driving wheels?

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread, this seemed like a good place to ask those questions. 

is the High Level that much better?

Oh yes! :yes: The selection of gearbox types is very good - it will be difficult to find one that doesn't fit. The range of ratios is also very good and the 108:1 quite exceptional - if it is a little more difficult to mesh (unsurprisingly). I haven't tried every unit in the range - by a long way - but happy with those I have.

I went with the DJH assembled motor and gearboxes a number of years ago based on a comment by the one and only Tony W who had had was exactly the same problem I was having with an A5.  He had solved his problem by going back to his favourite, the DJH.  I now have 3, all are 50:1 and whilst they have a fairly high current draw they are quiet and very controllable.  However, the best bit is that I don't have to do any assembly, I just drop them in.  In the fullness of time I can see 2 more replacements coming, one for an old open frame anchorage and the other, you guessed it, a wining Porterscap that I can hear from the other end of the basement 40' away

Archived