• RMweb Gold

Repainting the safety fences? 

Seriously though, there is (or will be) probably an earth wire bonding that mast to the rail that will need checking from time to time. 

In which case I would have thought that attention would also have been given to the access to the mast bases - currently a scramble up the bank with no path and no gate in the boundary fence line.

post-6859-0-19444400-1464012353_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yellow railings like these seem to be appearing all over the place even when there is no apparent risk to anyone, eg between Birmingham and Wolverhampton around (but not fencing off) concrete slabs which I assume will some time gain some electrical equipment. Someone going by "the book" which was written by someone in an office in London?

Jonathan

Presumably its for maintenance people who might be working at the base of the masts, although I'm not sure why or how they would be there!

Simon

The CEFA structures people are required to kick the nuts periodically to make sure the gantry isn't going to fall over ........... money for old rope I tell you - except when it's a signal at Newbury :O

• RMweb Premium

Bits of wire are here and there west from Goring, through Cholsey. The road/ rail JCB-gigger fleet has gone from Tilehurst to concentrate in a temporary yard just south of the Wallingford - Streatley road (where the old Brunel Cholsey station used to was) for the big push up to Didcot, and presumably back to Reading after that?

I'll be up at Cholsey this weekend - I'll take a closer look!

We were supposed to be getting some training from NR at some stage about safety around OHLE but I haven't heard any more of that in a long while.

• RMweb Premium

I've just returned from a 3 day Thames Rover which has provided me with my first observations of the masts and overhead. Even having read every post in this thread the seemingly haphazard nature of progress was worse than I expected. I'm sure there are reasons for it, but they are beyond me. On the plus side I was surprised to see so many piles in position on the Newbury route (and few masts), likewise I hadn't realised piling had been done north of Didcot.

On the Main Line there is now a lot of wire in place between Reading and Didcot, much of it still showing its copper colour, so very newly installed. There are small compounds all along the line with various types of road-railers parked. The main base at Moreton Sidings included a monster articulated road-rail lorry with a sizeable crane on it. I wonder how they manage to get that on the track!

I didn't think that the overhead looked too heavy, I feared it would look worse, to be honest. There is a simplicity to it, which I could almost get to like. I did notice that the "Goring Gap" is now pretty much completely wired on all four tracks, I can't see anything being changed here now despite the promise to the protesters.

Finally a few photos of Didcot, a station where I spent far too many hours in the past - it all looks very different now!

Looking in the Down direction from Platform 4

post-5204-0-30012300-1464198021_thumb.jpg

Looking in the Up direction from Platform 4

post-5204-0-97509200-1464198021_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure the photo has captured it, but the impression was of looking through a square, grey, tunnel

And despite all the modernisation, this length of broad gauge bridge rail still survives!

post-5204-0-60159300-1464198020_thumb.jpg

It is progress, but so much has changed in the last few years, its no longer the Western I knew. I'm glad I have my memories, and a good stock of photos.

• Like 3

Thank you for the most interesting photos, Stationmaster and HillsideDepot.  Goring is my local station and I am reminded once again how plug ugly overhead equipment is!!  Just as when I see pictures and videos of steam specials under the wires.  I cannot imagine ever getting my camera out to photograph anything against such a background!  Local residents with a view over the line through the countryside west of Goring, of which fortunately I am not one, are up in arms at the vandalism rendered to their landscape by these horrors.  There is nothing admirable in the look of OHLE but it does match quite well the ugly, even brutal, appearance of the new Reading General and its associated civil engineering structures (flyovers and flyunders everywhere).  Of course, it is progress:  passing through as a passenger, the new Reading station seems to work effectively and it is, for the present, clean and tidy. It is just a pity one has to look at it!  Equally, I expect the newly-electrified line, when it eventually arrives, to offer benefits to the users.  Although I appreciate the sterling service done by the DMUs (the 125s in particular), I have always disliked diesel traction and shall be glad to see the back of any part of it.

For the moment, I just wish they would get on with finishing the job!

"A grumpy old man".

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the most interesting photos, Stationmaster and HillsideDepot.  Goring is my local station and I am reminded once again how plug ugly overhead equipment is!!  Just as when I see pictures and videos of steam specials under the wires.  I cannot imagine ever getting my camera out to photograph anything against such a background!  Local residents with a view over the line through the countryside west of Goring, of which fortunately I am not one, are up in arms at the vandalism rendered to their landscape by these horrors.  There is nothing admirable in the look of OHLE but it does match quite well the ugly, even brutal, appearance of the new Reading General and its associated civil engineering structures (flyovers and flyunders everywhere).  Of course, it is progress:  passing through as a passenger, the new Reading station seems to work effectively and it is, for the present, clean and tidy. It is just a pity one has to look at it!  Equally, I expect the newly-electrified line, when it eventually arrives, to offer benefits to the users.  Although I appreciate the sterling service done by the DMUs (the 125s in particular), I have always disliked diesel traction and shall be glad to see the back of any part of it.

For the moment, I just wish they would get on with finishing the job!

"A grumpy old man".

The interesting thing about it is that from a distance (and not too great a one at that) the overhead isn't visually intrusive, even once it is wired.  the section immediately east of Pangbourne can be seen across an open field from the A329 and although still not fully weathered down isn't really obtrusive.  The worst angle of view - as various pics above and earlier in this thread have shown - is the 'tunnel view' along the line under the gantries although because of the very neat nature of the catenary fittings it doesn't get much worse once the catenary is added.

Alas, as you say, this is called 'progress' (although not exactly 'rapid' progress on this scheme) and like the horror which is Reading's new station (which seems to be aimed to cause maximum discomfort to many people waiting to board trains) it is the face of a modernised railway and for that I think we should - in some respects - be thankful.

Another thing to be thankful for is that at least some of the new station footbridges on the GWML scheme are covered - unlike those seemingly being erected under  Crossrail auspices further east. 

• RMweb Premium

The interesting thing about it is that from a distance (and not too great a one at that) the overhead isn't visually intrusive, even once it is wired.  the section immediately east of Pangbourne can be seen across an open field from the A329 and although still not fully weathered down isn't really obtrusive.  The worst angle of view - as various pics above and earlier in this thread have shown - is the 'tunnel view' along the line under the gantries although because of the very neat nature of the catenary fittings it doesn't get much worse once the catenary is added.

That's somewhat subjective; IMO something doesn't have to be very clearly standing out to be obtrusive, although as you say the angle makes a big difference too. Most of the pictures on this thread seem to be of unwired sections, the implication of the nature of the fittings sounds interesting though because often a good part of what makes electrification look a mess is the rest of the spider's web, so I can believe that the fittings being much neater may well make quite a difference compared with schemes using less heavy metalwork (as will a bit of time sat out in the great British weather).

I use the new station at Reading quite often, and the improvement over what went before is quite remarkable. It's modern architecture is something you'll either like or won't, but as a passenger I'm very much in favour of it.

• RMweb Gold

That's somewhat subjective; IMO something doesn't have to be very clearly standing out to be obtrusive, although as you say the angle makes a big difference too. Most of the pictures on this thread seem to be of unwired sections, the implication of the nature of the fittings sounds interesting though because often a good part of what makes electrification look a mess is the rest of the spider's web, so I can believe that the fittings being much neater may well make quite a difference compared with schemes using less heavy metalwork (as will a bit of time sat out in the great British weather).

This is a low angle view but it does show how neat the new system is as this particular structure is complete - catenary for two tracks with just a single insulator for each asa  result of having both the contact wire and the catenary wire arranged in a new way.  The mast also has an earth wire while the other mast in the background (for the other two running lines) has an extra insulator at the top for, I presume, a return wire.  Obviously it will look different if your viewpoint is along the track but what is actually hanging from each boom is far simpler and less conspicuous than just about everything we have seen in the past 50 years on UK 25kv electrification schemes.

post-6859-0-39249100-1464264120_thumb.jpg

As far as the new station at Reading is concerned it is something of a curate's egg - much improved platform capacity with a  generally flexible track layout although some speeds are remarkably low - and well off braking curves - for a modern track layout (mainly, but not entirely, due to the constricted site of course).  The new footbridge (transfer deck) is a big plus as is the far better north side access.  The minuses are reduced weather protection on the platforms which are now very prone to get wet during heavy rain as are some parts of the escalators (that's the bits which are under cover), very poor access to things like toilets and some sales outlets which are banished to one end of the platform, and increased interchange times between platforms - especially to the 'Southern' platforms - and the loss of covered access from the car park where not only do you have to go out in the weather but you also have to cross a 'bus route on a blind bend.  Thus the transfer time between car park and train has increased considerably which is not helped by the very high footbridge.  Some of the signage is very poor for a modern station - hence numerous revisions since the footbridge/transfer deck first opened.  The impression I continue to get is that in the grand scheme of things insufficient attention was given to all sorts of detail hence the various shortcomings - almost as if various depts were not consulted as the scheme was developed.

Overall the scheme has brought in some long sought layout enhancements although one or two bits seem to have fallen short of what could have been done to provide both flexibility and resilience - the worst example is where the extended Oxford Road Curve joins the Relief Lines towards Scours Lane, and has no direct access to the Mains; again seemingly due to lack of thought rather than anything else.  However overall the station runs far more smoothly operationally so the increased capacity has been well worth what it cost.

There's enough retail on the transfer deck for my needs, though the toilets being on the platforms isn't really ideal. Without knowing the constraints I wouldn't say it's perfect, but from being accustomed to the sorry tale of Reading station 2005, the flaws of the 2016 version are insignificant.

The new GE OLE is similarly tidy to the GW stuff. It's not designed to be pretty, but it's not bad as these things go.

The station at Reading is something of an improvement in many ways, but the transfer bridge is a cold draughty hole in the winter and, as has already been remarked, the escalators are poorly protected from the weather as are some areas of the platforms.

One of the irritating aspects of the new station in my view is the poor sound quality of the PA announcements, which also frequently clash at adjacent platforms, making them totally inaudible and therefore useless.

Whoever designed the waiting room at the West end of platform 7 with powered doors (which seem to stick open with monotonous regularity) arranged on the corner adjacent to each other so that freezing cold air pours into the area when both doors are open simultaneously should be made to stand there on a cold winter's day to understand the error they made with that piece of the design.

• RMweb Premium

Mike, in reviewing + and - at Reading, don't forget the MAS panel. For the benefit of most readers who won't have been in it, there was a large two storey brick building behind the station north side. This was full of relay rooms, communications gear, standby generators and S&T hideyholes. Then on the roof, a kind of wood shed closely related to the ones from B&Q. 1965 modern!!!???. Other enlightened regions had extended flat roofs with deep fascias, but not here. There were 2-3 long panels on the south side facing the station, a long narrow aisle for the operators to sit, and some desks tables etc on the back wall. It struck me that there was no space for the proverbial cat swing, and the structure didn't look that well adapted to the vagaries of the climate. I never worked there, but I'm sure any of the old mechanical boxes would have more comfort. It compared most unfavourably with the later boxes such as Westbury and Exeter. I haven't seen the new Didcot emporium, but I bet it's a big step forward for working conditions.

• RMweb Gold

Mike, in reviewing + and - at Reading, don't forget the MAS panel. For the benefit of most readers who won't have been in it, there was a large two storey brick building behind the station north side. This was full of relay rooms, communications gear, standby generators and S&T hideyholes. Then on the roof, a kind of wood shed closely related to the ones from B&Q. 1965 modern!!!???. Other enlightened regions had extended flat roofs with deep fascias, but not here. There were 2-3 long panels on the south side facing the station, a long narrow aisle for the operators to sit, and some desks tables etc on the back wall. It struck me that there was no space for the proverbial cat swing, and the structure didn't look that well adapted to the vagaries of the climate. I never worked there, but I'm sure any of the old mechanical boxes would have more comfort. It compared most unfavourably with the later boxes such as Westbury and Exeter. I haven't seen the new Didcot emporium, but I bet it's a big step forward for working conditions.

The new Didcot emporium appears in the background of the pc 'Looking towards the Chester Line' in post No.1884 - it is the big grey thing with 'Network Rail' written on the side.  One of the inmates Signalmenlers  has told me that it is not a very nice place to work compared with the old panel 'boxes (although he never worked in Reading panel).

Reading panel was originally fairly spacious but had a  lot of extra stuff (such as the B&H panel and the eastern extension added on over the years.  Like all the Western Integra panels it was best suited to be worked standing up because if you sat down it was necessary to stand up to reach the rear of the signalling panel and the train describers.  The 'wooden hut' was really a variant of the final Reading design of mechanical 'box with standard timber section but a couple of large windows on one side and certainly when new it wasn't  bad working environment.  The mechanical 'boxes of that construction always looked a bit silly from the outside but in fact they were rather nice structures to work in provided they were well maintained and several have had long lives - not draughty, some sun shading by means of timber slats above the windows (remarkably effective despite its appearance), not too hot in summer as the window weren't too deep (but still gave a good view) and pleasantly warm in winter - plus a flat roof ideal for growing tomatoes ;)

The Western panel 'boxes basically reflected the feelings and money availability of their times - thus Snow Hill was very functional, Plymouth and Old Oak (original) were 'architect designed', Port Talbot was sort of in-between architect design and Reading's ideas of design, then came the ones using the timber superstructure (Newport, Slough and Reading) followed by a move to metal cladding for the upper part (Cardiff, Swindon, the second Old Oak, Oxford, and Bristol), then finally a change back to 'architect design' for Westbury and Exeter but the change for these two also involved a different design of control panel which takes up much more space than would be the case if the Integra design was still used.  the structure intended for the 'box at Par is a much simpler single storey affair but has never become what it was intended to be.  The one which never saw the light of day beyond a few drawings was the Swindon 'mega box' which was intended to control a large part of the WR (much as Didcot is now doing) and it was best, and kindly, described as looking like an upside down bathtub coated in aluminium.  Swindon B, architect designed, was designed to match surrounding old works buildings and rather oddly would have become part of the staff facilities for the 'mega box'.

• RMweb Gold

I worked in the "penthouse suite" at Reading Panel for about ten years altogether, although factoring in overtime, it was probably more like twenty... It certainly wouldn't have won any architectural awards for sure, but it was a pleasant enough place to work and there was enough space, even when fully manned with 5 signalmen, a panel supervisor and two station announcers. The windows rattled a bit when it was windy but it had a kettle; what more do you want?

• Like 3

Sydney Gardens [bath] - I was at RAILEX this weekend and had a close look at this layout which I understand to be accurate as a scale architectural model. At some point in the future, side wall mounted and cantilevered OHLE will be put in over the lines here and the track bed lowered [if not already done]. As a World Heritage site and full of listed structures [even the public loos] does anyone know what will happen to the Brunel-designed overbridges in the gardens? Will these need to be railed in so as to prevent folks from dropping things [or throwing themselves] onto the 25kV wires?

• RMweb Premium

Sydney Gardens [bath] - I was at RAILEX this weekend and had a close look at this layout which I understand to be accurate as a scale architectural model. At some point in the future, side wall mounted and cantilevered OHLE will be put in over the lines here and the track bed lowered [if not already done]. As a World Heritage site and full of listed structures [even the public loos] does anyone know what will happen to the Brunel-designed overbridges in the gardens? Will these need to be railed in so as to prevent folks from dropping things [or throwing themselves] onto the 25kV wires?

Already mentioned in this thread - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101282-bathampton-box-blockade-julyaugust-2015/page-4 - look at post 98 onwards for pictures of the track lowering through Bath.

Edited by Richard E

As Richard said the track lowering has been completed. As I understand it, the bridges will stay, the track lowering allowing the clearance underneath the bridges. I'm not sure on railings on the side, the bridges must already have walls either side of them, so they might not need any more protection. There will be specially designed OLE to blend in the the area.

Some might have noticed that the official switch on date for Scours Lane to Foxhall Junction was two days ago, you should now treat all OLE between these limits as being Live, whether it is complete or not. This means do not approach any OLE in this area with the assumption that it is not energised, better to be safe than sorry.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

As Richard said the track lowering has been completed. As I understand it, the bridges will stay, the track lowering allowing the clearance underneath the bridges. I'm not sure on railings on the side, the bridges must already have walls either side of them, so they might not need any more protection. There will be specially designed OLE to blend in the the area.

Some might have noticed that the official switch on date for Scours Lane to Foxhall Junction was two days ago, you should now treat all OLE between these limits as being Live, whether it is complete or not. This means do not approach any OLE in this area with the assumption that it is not energised, better to be safe than sorry.

Simon

I understand that what really did happen over this weekend was the opening of the new electrical control room (or whatever these things are called nowadays) at Didcot.   Although it s a few days since I was in the immediate vicinity of the allegedly live section I saw no posters at all about its impending liveliness - probably not posted  in order to avoid adverse comments from the local wags talking about invisible electricity passing through invisible wires?

• Like 1

I understand that what really did happen over this weekend was the opening of the new electrical control room (or whatever these things are called nowadays) at Didcot.   Although it s a few days since I was in the immediate vicinity of the allegedly live section I saw no posters at all about its impending liveliness - probably not posted  in order to avoid adverse comments from the local wags talking about invisible electricity passing through invisible wires?

My CWR colleagues and I have now been informed that we should regard all the installations as live as of Saturday evening (even the wires that aren't there yet!), and most of us have now signed a disclaimer(?) that we are aware of this. We have also been told to stop our passengers at Cholsey carrying children on their shoulders, waving selfie sticks about or any other activity which may bring them within nine feet of the wires. But as Stationmaster has pointed out, there are no warning posters/signs to this effect for NR/GWR users.

At present the Down Main and Up Relief at Cholsey are wired (though the Down Main earth wire seems to be held in place by bungee cords in some places!). We have also been informed that the platforms will be extended and the canopy on platform 4 will be cut back (wouldn't it have made sense to do this before the wires went up and became nominally live? - a similar situation also appears to apply at Pangbourne).

Wiring of all four tracks exists between Moulsford Bridge and just west of Goring, where the gantries are in place but register arms are not yet fitted, and there is wiring on at least two tracks from east of Goring as far as Scours Lane. As yet the feeder station at Pangbourne does not appear to be connected to the overhead.

One thing that puzzled me - in places there appears to be another wire suspended above the electrification gantries and insulated from them - what's that for?

• Like 1