I passed through Swindon on a 125 last Saturday, it was the first time for nearly ten years. Knowing that the complex is a shadow of it's former self, it's good to see that the station has been enlarged again, with the new westbound platform, from a few years back. I also noticed that some sidings to the north-east of the station, have already been wired up. As far as I know, at present no passenger stock is stored overnight at Swindon, but are these newly-electrified sidings intended for laying up EMUs overnight? The other big change for me, is how much the trees have grown at the west end, cutting off various views, will these be cut back for overhead wires?

Cheers, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I passed through Swindon on a 125 last Saturday, it was the first time for nearly ten years. Knowing that the complex is a shadow of it's former self, it's good to see that the station has been enlarged again, with the new westbound platform, from a few years back. I also noticed that some sidings to the north-east of the station, have already been wired up. As far as I know, at present no passenger stock is stored overnight at Swindon, but are these newly-electrified sidings intended for laying up EMUs overnight? The other big change for me, is how much the trees have grown at the west end, cutting off various views, will these be cut back for overhead wires?

Cheers, Brian.

They have stop blocks at both ends (although one might have been extended since they were first installed.  They are part of the electrification training school

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14522280.New_state_of_the_art_training_centre_opens/

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/2016/may/GWEP-major-milestones-line-live-training-centre-opens/

http://networkrail-training.co.uk/static/documents/Swindon.pdf

These are fitted with shoe gear, it retracts when not in use to prevent it hitting anything, it can just about be made out in a couple of pictures but it isnt easy to see.

Expect the shoe gear and arms to be removed shortly although the height limiting beams will probably stay in place.

Aside-

The 350/1s were a cancelled order for more 450s and so were fitted with third rail gear which was soon removed (and sent to Northam for spares) only to be required when some of them were loaned to Southern for a few months, hence a van load of shoe gear wending its way to Northampton.

350/1s did not have the shoe gear removed, it was merely retracted and strapped up.  The straps were removed when they worked the WLL.  They still have the shoe gear now but it is hard to see because it is retracted.

The GWR 387s will all have shoe gear and it will not be removed as there are plans being developed to use it.

350/1s did not have the shoe gear removed, it was merely retracted and strapped up.  The straps were removed when they worked the WLL.  They still have the shoe gear now but it is hard to see because it is retracted.

The GWR 387s will all have shoe gear and it will not be removed as there are plans being developed to use it.

Infill electrification Wokingham- Ash and Shalford Jn - Reigate for through trains from Oxford/Newbury to Gatwick? Or GWR venturing onto the Wokingham - Waterloo line?

• RMweb Premium

Nah, third rail on the Windsor branch so it don't spoil the view from the castle? Thinking this as I was coming home from Slough this afternoon, which gave me a chance to do some peering through the window, particularly as we were on the relief line as far Reading. The bulk of the structures, masts, crossbeams / brackets, register arms, and auto transformer danglers, look to be in as far as Maidenhead, although they seem to be missing something across the middle of the bridge. And, of course, there's the stretch of overhead east of Taplow. From Maidenhead, there's an impressive grouping of tall posts facing the old goods yard obviously needing something exciting to be bolted on. Beyond this, there are still several masts not up, and less of the accompanying gubbins attached, but still a lot done. Twyford station is a gap, and there's gaps here and there in Sonning cutting, but the row of masts actually meet up with the lonely sentinels rusting away on Kennet bridge, and on into the station. West of Reading station, you can see that the west lead out of the m.u. depot now has overhead in, as far as where the point into the relief is, then it stops for about 100 yards until the overhead for all the tracks starts.

Jumping on to past Didcot, a good lot of structures in to Milton loop, but then a gap through Steventon. (There must be a story behind why there is such a lack of progress on this stretch?) Beyond here there's good progress westwards with masts going up, and additions lagging behind. The stretch of quad track Wantage - Challow in particular is doing well, I suppose occupations on the loops are easier to manage. The masts fizzle out before Uffington. Most of the base tubes are in to Swindon, but it looks as if several are needed, mainly on the embankment stretches.

The other thing that struck me is that several of the old Brunel,era bridges have survived, not just the high ones in the big cuttings, but there's one about a mile west of Slough, and two around Bourton (west of Shrivenham).

The other thing that struck me is that several of the old Brunel,era bridges have survived, not just the high ones in the big cuttings, but there's one about a mile west of Slough, and two around Bourton (west of Shrivenham).

The 2 bridges at Bourton are listed structures so will survive, but Network Rail have said they will receive parapet extensions and yes, they will be visually intrusive :(

Personally, if listed, I think they shouldn't be touched, but hey, listing didn't stop NR demolishing Dawlish signal box. The whole system is a farce

Edited by D1059

The 2 bridges at Bourton are listed structures so will survive, but Network Rail have said they will receive parapet extensions and yes, they will be visually intrusive :(

Personally, if listed, I think they shouldn't be touched, but hey, listing didn't stop NR demolishing Dawlish signal box. The whole system is a farce

Given that the raised parapet is a safety feature, no doubt required by one of the laws which governs railways, that rather trumps the listing. I'm sure NR would like nothing more than to be able to leave the parapets as they are.

• RMweb Gold

Given that the raised parapet is a safety feature, no doubt required by one of the laws which governs railways, that rather trumps the listing. I'm sure NR would like nothing more than to be able to leave the parapets as they are.

Raised parapets are an attempt to save lives, so that will trump any listing and quite rightly so too.

I know one preserved railway was offered Dawlish box and turned it down, so NR did at least consider alternatives to demolition.

The raised parapets that people are talking about are on bridges *over* 25kV overhead electrified lines (living close to the Styal loop of the WCML as a boy I was always disappointed I couldn't see over any of the bridges there!) - the parapets being raised to discourage people from attempting to poke the live wires with tree branches etc. Parapets on bridges under low-voltage 3rd rail lines are not relevant to the discussion.

I recall that the DLR went over some listed structures and got a derogation to retain lower parapets. 

Not sure if this is one.

The high parapet requirement is for roads and footbridges over the line, not underbridges. The requirement for underbridges and viaducts is to have a robust parapet or guard rails to prevent derailed trains falling off, the height is not an issue, other than a fence for staff safety. In the case of the DLR illustration keeping the ornamental railings was a condition (not a derogation).

Regards

Edited by Grovenor

The raised parapets that people are talking about are on bridges *over* 25kV overhead electrified lines (living close to the Styal loop of the WCML as a boy I was always disappointed I couldn't see over any of the bridges there!) - the parapets being raised to discourage people from attempting to poke the live wires with tree branches etc. Parapets on bridges under low-voltage 3rd rail lines are not relevant to the discussion.

If someone really wants to do something stupid, then an extra foot of concrete coping on a bridge parapet isn't going to stop them !!

If someone really wants to do something stupid, then an extra foot of concrete coping on a bridge parapet isn't going to stop them !!

And I suppose that the people who want to do something stupid, but not really want to do something stupid don't count? I suspect the majority of idiots might fall in to the former category.

Challow bridge was on South Today tonight evidently the wrong kind of tarmac has been used on thee roadway and its going to take six weeks to rectify it ,why? Surely samples of the old tarmac can be taken and then new laid thus stopinning chaos on local roads. 

Hi,

Travelling from Swindon to Tilehurst (via Reading) last night at about 20:45, as we crossed the flyover into Reading , the HOPS train (or part there of) was stood at the country end of the Goods Loop at Reading doing some work and low & behold this morning on my way from Tilehurst this morning, a section of wires (although yet to be connected to the registry arms) had been hung.

Walking back home from the station tonight around 21:15, having done the same journey, the same part of the HOPS train was crossed over Tilehurst East Junction, presumably to try and finish the goods loops off.

Incidentally, the Virgin Liveried Class 800 was at Reading this evening, with me even being mistaken for its driver!

Simon

• Like 3

I suppose the difference with the parapet heights is that with a low parapet, an idiot can pick up a tree branch and try to poke the wires.

With a high parapet, the "better idiot" has to find a stepladder and a longer branch.

In France on many of the older 1500V electrified lines, a lot of overbridges are 'protected' by a low metal railing parapet (think - the height of what used to be on the bridlepath bridge in Moreton Cutting, you could sit on it) - I don't recall mass incidents being reported from that side of the channel. Neither do I hear of work to raise the sides either

I just despair at where this country is going

In France on many of the older 1500V electrified lines, a lot of overbridges are 'protected' by a low metal railing parapet (think - the height of what used to be on the bridlepath bridge in Moreton Cutting, you could sit on it) - I don't recall mass incidents being reported from that side of the channel. Neither do I hear of work to raise the sides either

I just despair at where this country is going

But raised parapets on public bridges over 25kv OHLE have been the norm in the UK for many decades. The parapet also acts as a restraint barrier to keep errant vehicles on the bridge and not on the tracks.

How you achieve it can vary so aesthetically pleasing methods are out there if NR wants to / can afford to. Sadly I think they are just adopting a one size fits all approach.