MRJ 227

mike knowles

Contents? to whet the apatite? I'm sure mine will arrive within a couple of weeks - but it is good to know what there is to be craving for.

Tucking Mill by Jerry Clifford

Laminated glass by Giles Favell

Part 2 of the JLTRT 37 build - weathering by Martin McDermott

Floating Scale Pointwork by David Nicholson. 11 pages which is why for me it's a cracking issue!

Christmas competition by Don Rowland - nil points for me again I guess!

Under cover by Gordon Gravett - making tarpaulins etc

Nottingham Goods by Dave Barrett

Need to cancel my copy :no: Tucking Mill will be interesting - but Class 37 :yawn: - pointwork might be interesting - but half the issue (one that should have been split perhaps)? - that just leaves Nottingham Goods - ah one for the collection - some months just are not going to inspire as much as other months. I'd probably have left this one on the shelf.

MRJ as always covers a wide range of tastes, just not in every issue.

Need to cancel my copy - pointwork might be interesting - but half the issue (one that should have been split perhaps)? -

Given your comment below re MRJ226

"It is a good issue but really does suffer from too many part 2 or continuations. Something I don't particularly like too much of."

It seems you just can't please some people. Maybe you should ask if you can be guest editor!

• RMweb Gold

Need to cancel my copy :no: Tucking Mill will be interesting - but Class 37 :yawn: - pointwork might be interesting - but half the issue (one that should have been split perhaps)? - that just leaves Nottingham Goods - ah one for the collection - some months just are not going to inspire as much as other months. I'd probably have left this one on the shelf.

MRJ as always covers a wide range of tastes, just not in every issue.

Remarkable, you've all but condemned the issue forty minutes after saying you've not seen it yet.

Jerry

Given your comment below re MRJ226

"It is a good issue but really does suffer from too many part 2 or continuations. Something I don't particularly like too much of."

It seems you just can't please some people. Maybe you should ask if you can be guest editor!

Yes, I know - its a real problem. I like the continuations for the articles that might interest me one day and not for the ones that don't. I doubt if that is unusual.

To be more precise an article of 4 pages that is split over more than one issue is simply interruptive but splitting an article of 11 pages is making room for more diverse content in each issue.

I'm sure that for those really interested (even devoted) to track this will be an absorbing issue.

Remarkable, you've all but condemned the issue forty minutes after saying you've not seen it yet.

I'm not condemning the actual articles - if the post was read - just that the selection and arrangement was not to my modelling taste. I'll still get some pleasure out of reading the two articles that I said I would - it is probably just the issue of 11 pages (half an issue) that will not fire up my enthusiasm. That and I'm pretty fed up with Class 37s why can't we see more of other classes and industrial diesels - there are many of them that seem to be unheard of and unmodelled.

MRJ in the past used to be more balanced in content and a more broad spectrum appeal.

Editor? I couldn't be trusted to meet the exacting deadline.

• RMweb Premium

Am I the only one that's really looking forward to seeing Tucking Mill in print???  

And the content looks pretty "broad spectrum" to me; rural light railway, urban goods, diesel build, trackwork, etc, etc.

The only issues that I have found disappointing have been the rare layout-less editions.  I always think of the featured layout as the main headline article.

Should get mine tomorrow.

Dave.T

Seems to be coming out fortnightly now..

I can't keep up with all of this.

Next thing we know, Domestic Duck will announce they have a website.....

Well, that's Kenton for you. He just likes swimming against the tide and annoying people. He was probably one of the first to condemn Salman Rushdie's "Satanic Verses" as being blasphemous without ever needing to read it (I actually read it from cover to cover, and it was crap rather than blasphemous).

I have not seen the new MRJ yet will pick one up tomorrow or maybe a few hundred when I load the Wild Swan stand for Warley.

There will be new Wild Swan books and mags for the show, including LMS profiles 9 pictorial supplement LMS 10000/10001 the last LMS Journal, the first LMS pictorial ad a few others come over and say hello.

David 

Am I the only one that's really looking forward to seeing Tucking Mill in print???

No you're not - I did say so - but then everyone didn't read what I said, or read into it far more than was there, or simply picked up on my persistent feelings about Class 37s - so what's new there?

Need to cancel my copy :no: Tucking Mill will be interesting

Yes that shaky head icon really does mean NO.

... now where is that shrug shoulders icon?

Can I second the proposal not-quite made by Mike Knowles above, that Kenton be made Guest Editor?

He might be railway modelling's cantankerous Mr Misanthrope, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he might actually be rather good at the job!

For God's sake don't give 'em any ideas. Kenton editing MRJ would be almost as fatal as making "Metropolitan" Chairman of the Scalefour Society.

• As an aside, what as become of "Metropolitan", he has note appeared on RM Web for sometime.
  •  

He was most recently on the Scalefour forum, attempting to undermine Scaleforum by turning it into a one-day show. Next, he'll be advocating that the Society drops 18.83mm gauge in favour of 16.5.

He was most recently on the Scalefour forum, attempting to undermine Scaleforum by turning it into a one-day show. Next, he'll be advocating that the Society drops 18.83mm gauge in favour of 16.5.

Now that really would be a lost cause, preaching to the already converted! At least on here there may a few undecided OO gauge supporters.

Remember I can't see the difference between EM and P4 so would be useless as editor of MRJ - I'd be promoting fine scale modelling irrelevant of the gauge, with a nod towards the industrial and totally free of cronyism. So there will not be many submitted articles and few wanting that sort of thing in MRJ.

MRJ in the past used to be more balanced in content and a more broad spectrum appeal.

Surely to be balanced it needs to include articles on subjects that you don't like, if just to give the rest of us a chance to have something that we do like and appeal to everyone. :sungum:

G.

A good one, still miss the Chrimbo crossword tho.

An interesting bit from Gordon Gravett re the tarpaulins, not seen newspaper used in this way.

It might be a bit 'heavy' in 4mm, I have used the PVA mâché but used either kitchen roll or loo roll, usually draped over a piece of foam roughly cut to shape.

Works for me anyway.

Archived