A Highland Light Railway

AndyJH

Hi all,

This is my first post here, i am a returning railway modeller. I recently just bought my own house after renting flats etc ive not been able to setup my beloved railway anywhere previous. My model railway was built for me by my dad, its quite unique i would say. It all started with a Hornby Loch ness Loco set.

A lot of hedge and trees and some scenery is missing, also its probably 20 years or so since it has been touched years since (im 30 in February)

Anyway here is a photo:

Layout1.JPG

I've wired it up and quite surprised some of the track still works, a lot of sections need cleaning. I've started replacing most of the track with new flexi track as appropriate, ive also started to adjust the layout by adding in a better yard in the middle to include a head shunt. Once i have the layout all wired up and running i do have plans for the future:

• Ballast
  • Scenary - flock etc.
  • New trees, fences, hedges.
  • New buildings
  • work out some names and a fictional location for the layout
  • Get some isolating sections setup
  • Wire up the points i will not be able to reach. 

Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.

Cheers

Thanks, it works quite well as long as you run short trains, but that's keeping with the idea its a branch line. After relaying the track on the gradients i can now run a train both ways round, previously i would always get derailments on one section.

Welcome Andy,

that board is a bit more extensive than my old one, but I recognise the Crawfords biscuit tins (mine were tin!).

There looks like plenty of scope for you to practice on scenery etc.

Have you searched for threads on 'track cleaning' on here, plenty of tips for you,

good luck 

cheers

My first model railway was built by my dad too. Good times!

I didn't realise that Hornby did a Loch Ness loco set, but I shouldn't be too surprised. How about a mysterious bow wave in the duck pond? :)

My first model railway was built by my dad too. Good times!

I didn't realise that Hornby did a Loch Ness loco set, but I shouldn't be too surprised. How about a mysterious bow wave in the duck pond? :)

Yea they did, it had the 0-4-0 Loch Ness Highland loco, a 4 wheel carriage, one wagon and a Weetabix covered waggon.

I hopefully to show some new photos of some of the progress ive made with restoring and renovating the layout. Still need to get all track working, which might involve removing the tunnel which could be a daunting task.

As much i am meant to be focusing on getting all the electrics sorted on the layout, i couldn't help but purchasing this little loco:

1379323605218_IMG_3860.jpg

This will go well with my other loco  0-4-0 Loch Ness and my Caledonian Railway 0-4-0.

Currently toying with the idea of making the layout a fictional railway called Stapeley and Broad Lane which is situated in Scotland run by the Higland Railway and Caledonian Railways. Not sure how feasible that sounds.

Realy good base to start building from!! with all the new types of scenery you can buy now!!!

Thanks, i hope to get on with the scenary as soon as ive decided if im going to switch from DC to DCC. As if i don't switch i need to add isolating sections and other wiring, though moving to DCC is quite tempting at the moment.

Nice loco.

I think you should go for a fictional railway because then you can do what you want.

Thank, I think iam going to with the fictional railway. Already got to ideas for two station names.

Go for DCC, I did and I've never looked back

I would chose DCC, it really simplifies the wiring.

I am certainly now looking at making the leap to DCC, its going to simplify the wiring alot and it means i can have double heading and several locos sharing the same track which will be good :)

I just need to convert all my locos to DCC which should be interesting, i've not done any soldering since i left High school. But i am sure that will fine, just need to acquire a soldering iron and a good DCC controller.

I recommend the Gaugemaster Prodigy Express

The Hornby Select is alright if you don't have too many locos, but when on a small layout like yours, you need to carefully control the locos so they don't hit each other so would need separate control for them.

Thanks for the recommendations, ive been advised by a few people to get a NEC Powercab as its a good one for the future, especially if i build a bigger layout in the future. Though i am still researching the topic of DCC, hope to put some money aside and get to it.

I don't think i would plan to have more than one loco moving at the same time unless i was double heading, the layout is very much one loco in steam principle. Especially with inclines i couldn't have a loco running freely. Unless once i get the layout into the box room where it will be based, there maybe scope to add an extension for a round loop for a loco to keep running round and round. :)

An update, to get things moving i have purchased an Gaugemaster Prodigy Express from rails of sheffield as its on offer at the moment, i also got 5 decoders for the 5 locos that i have working currently. My 6th loco doesn't work at the moment, but has been sitting in a box for 20 years its kind of expected. The other 5 work though, just need the wheels cleaning up.

I will put some photos up of the soon to be home of the layout and what locos i currently have. I am also setting up a website for my layout :)

• 2 weeks later...

An update. finally got the layout on some legs. Its an old table at the moment, till it moves to a more permanent location in the box room.

legs.JPG

Also ive been experimenting with the central yard, not sure how to have it laid out. As i would like a goods yard and loco yard, though not sure what is feasible. I may remove the coal tower and have the engine shed located on the far left siding, that way i can get all of my locos stabled.

Plan 1

plan1.JPG

Plan 2

plan2.JPG

Once i have decided on this, i plan to get the wiring done and my locos wired up for decoders for DCC.

Plan 2 looks more interesting for shunting although you could make plan 1 into an inglenook type plan.

Im thinking of going with plan 2, though i don't want it to look overcrowded. The Left hand sidings i plan to have as a loco shed and stabling point, the right hand as the goods yard. And in in the middle of the board i plan to have a small village.

Archived