A Highland Light Railway

AndyJH

Just make sure that you can get locos into the sheds even when there are wagons in the goods yard. So long as you can do that it will be fine.

i intend to have one siding as a partial headshunt , the only thing in the end of the siding will be the break down crane. Also with moving to DCC wiring this will be much easier.

Have a play with both and see which you prefer! Have you got a way of taking off the tunnel as sods law dictates that that is where a loco will fall off!

Unfortunately the layout was built by my dad over 20 years ago, so the tunnel is all made from wood as is both inclines up to station with the castle. The tunnel needs to be removed some how, as i need to remove and replace the track inside. Currently i am looking at a few scenarios that don't involve cutting the roof of the tunnel off.

That is a lot of 0-4-0s.

You could always have a small loop and have a terminus on a big siding(s) so it looks like a fat L shape. Then you could have trains running around but also have space for yourself.

Does this make any sense?

Yea all of them are from either Christmas or Birthday Presents.

I think i understand what you mean, im going to have to do some measurements and work out a track plan.

I don't think you have quite enough Pugs :D

You can never have enough Pugs, although most are pugs i plan to convert a few. Two of them will be getting tenders, one of them will be converted into a cab less loco and perhaps more than one will get a pony truck or extra wheels so they become 0-4-2's.

Some news with regards to the layout, although i originally had my reservations with location the layout in the box room where the boiler resides. I have come up with a new idea thanks to my dad, which is to put the layout in the garage. Though before it goes into the garage i will be lining the garage so its warmer and making it a more hospitable environment. Though this will not be happening soon this is all a future plan. So in the meantime i will continue to develop and leave the layout where it is.

An update of sorts, i made an attempt at getting one of my 0-4-0 converted to DCC. Although my soldiering skills aren't that bad, ive found after i got it set-up i couldn't get the motor to mess with gear to drive the loco so at the moment until i get this one loco working im not going to try and convert the other locos yet.

But i have decided on a track plan for my goods yard/ loco shed so the rails will get cut shortly and then that can be wired up ready for DCC. So some progress is been made :)

If you want to, you could post a picture of your DCC loco someone may be able to help you get it working.

I look forward to seeing the track cut and in place.

As much as i want to try and get it working. I don't have the patience to do the fiddly work, im looking at getting them fitted by a model shop in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good!! nice to see another Local on here!! :sungum:

Updates:

Picked the 4 locos up this afternoon and they run perfectly under DCC. DCC certainly makes all the difference, i can have them running at much more prototype speed now. The other two locos which unfortunately aren't running any-more will live on as scenery, likely in the loco yard as scrapped locos or they may end up in the bits boxes for possible conversions. I am now looking to expand my loco collection with an 0-6-0 Tank Engine or Tender, just need to make sure the locos i picked could be found in Scotland.

Also some further updates, i took a saw and various other tools to part of the tunnel tonight. As i wanted to reduce the size of it, as i have alot of derailments and there is quite a huge dead section of track which prevents slow running.

Once i started i found it was some tough going, my dad when he built this had certainly done a proper job. But i got there in end and this is to be the new look.

Anyway here is a photograph to show the progress.

changes.JPG

An update of sorts, after looking a few threads on the forums here. I've come to the conclusion rather than trying to basis my somewhat Scottish themed layout on an particular area of Scotland, i've decided to go with a Scottish looking feel to the layout. And have the layout based on a Light Railway, which will mean i can have mixed trains and passenger only trains. 

By having the layout as a light railway i can explain why there is a diverse set of locomotive power present.

The two Highland Railway 0-4-0 i will say that they were given to the railway by the Highland Railway, as the light railway was backed to stop the Caledonian railway from encroaching near their territory.

The other locomotives are loco's that have been acquired by the railway to increase the motive power avliable. I am going to be adding an 0-6-0 loco and also i would like to add an Andrew Barclay based locomotive as i like the design of them.

Also currently i have been thinking of some names for the stations, currently i have Stapeley and Broad Lane. Stapeley is a really place, its where i grew up. As is Broad Lane, as its the road my parents house is on. The other station is probably going to be what ever i call the Castle on the top of the layout.

An update, bought some DAS clay to fix and remodel the embankment near the tunnel. The remodelling has now been completed, i plan to add some das clay to the layout to make a railway crossing and some detail to the loco/goods shed areas.

Also bought two plastic based kits from arcmodelsuk, one been an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0st and one been Bonnie Prince Charlie' 0-4-0st resin body kits. I plan to put the Andrew Barclay kit on an 0-4-0 chassis i have and the Bonnie Prince Charlie kit, is going to go on an 0-6-0 chassis as part of a conversion.

And finally relaid some more track, done some of the electrical work and setup one point to be motorised, two more left to do. I am only motorising the ones i can't reach, which luckily is only 3.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An update:

Laid loads of scenic grass scatter down and grass sheet down. This has made the board look much better, i now intend to get ballasting done, this will enhance the board further.

Progress photos to follow soon.

A few photos of what has been going on, no ballast yet as i need to add in DCC bus for feed droppers to the rest of the track. i want to make sure that there is no drop in signal.

Update_1.JPG

Update_3.JPG

Update_4.JPG

Archived