FIRST GREAT WESTERN Mk III's

martin_l_jones

Just to let everyone know that a new release of FGW coaches have arrived at Hornby.

I wasn't prepared to pay ebay prices and my wait has been worthwhile, I guess they are still overpriced at £29.99. but better than £100...

Get in quick before they all go...

https://www.Hornby.com/shop/rolling-stock/passenger-rolling-stock/r4370b-fgw-mk3-open-tourist-coach/

Is that 'overpriced' as in 'they will sell them at that price but I'd rather pay less....'?

TBH if it ends the trade in these at £100+ it's well worth it......

Its I'd rather pay less...

If you look at the bill of mtls the mouldings are probably £4 max, paint 70p,transfers and application £2, wheels £1.20 labour to assemble and pack £1.50....box £1.00...

You've forgotten a residual cost against the existing tooling (which may need replacing at a future date or a contribution to a future redesign), production waste due to failing quality control checks (~10%), livery research, printing setup costs, shipping to the UK and then onto the retailer, advertising, and of course Hornby's admin costs and profit, so hopefully they can stay in business and continue to supply customers in the future and design new products.

Milk might be overpriced in Supermarkets, but I'd rather buy it from there instead of keeping my own Cow....

Is that 'overpriced' as in 'they will sell them at that price but I'd rather pay less....'?

Or is that 'overpriced' as in 'ebay has chancers and bilkers who inflate prices while knowing nothing of true market value'?

(And before anyone replies with 'market value is what the market will support', you know damn well what I mean about some ebay sellers)

Just to let everyone know that a new release of FGW coaches have arrived at Hornby.

I wasn't prepared to pay ebay prices and my wait has been worthwhile, I guess they are still overpriced at £29.99. but better than £100...

Get in quick before they all go...

https://www.Hornby.com/shop/rolling-stock/passenger-rolling-stock/r4370b-fgw-mk3-open-tourist-coach/

This is nice. A little late for me, since I completed my rake over a year ago, at considerable expense (including shipping a couple of units from Australia). But it's good that Hornby are releasing these again. The dynamic lines is a damned pretty livery IMO.

Showing as out of stock now. Were they ever back in stock?

Yes, I have ordered four for my set, had the notification from Hornby.

I knew they would go quick, I bet the ebayers have bought them in tens...

The coaches not being re-run appear to be the buffet and TGS, then people need three times the amount of open coaches.

Even if the ebay scalpers have bought them, the extra supply will reduce the residual price. There may be more stock to come, but more importantly, items that sell this quickly are likely to be prioritised for re-runs. That was my main point about Hornby's pricing for these models - they aren't going to sell these at a cost plus price, they will sell them at the relevant price point for non-Superdetail coaches that are in the main (non-Railroad) range. Also, the livery will be licensed, and it isnt an easy one to DIY so at £30 a pop, it seems an entirely logical choice

I saw these on the Hornby stand at Wycrail this year. A couple off things I noticed were they were a much lighter blue than the prototype and it looked like pre-colored plastic (shades of Lima) also the seating is still in thhe old low density pattern and not the FGW undirectional sardine pattern.

XF

I believe they were originally selling at specific outlets, but I don't know where.

Anybody go to the NEC at the weekend, were they on sale there ?

As per the 2013 post these were only supposed to be sold by Modelzone or a few concessions outles - not entirely sure but it is surely one of the two

Having not received my order for my coaches unlike the two day turn round it states I decided to call Hornby this morning.

I have placed a pre-order for items due in December, how bizarre.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has actually received some as ebay is clearly showing -B coaches....

I'll be interested to know what you find out as I wanted to acquire these and was disappointed to find out they were available on Hornby's website but seemingly sold out within hours!

I did think it strange that the larger retailers like Hatton's have never listed them for pre-order, or did I miss them?

Martin

I'll be interested to know what you find out as I wanted to acquire these and was disappointed to find out they were available on Hornby's website but seemingly sold out within hours!

I did think it strange that the larger retailers like Hatton's have never listed them for pre-order, or did I miss them?

Martin

As I stated before trent, it was only to be sold through Modelzone, but when the ceased Hornby sold them direct. See post #14

Hi

I see all the carpetbaggers are now selling these on ebay, I do hope these people get what is coming to them.

Wouldn't buy on principle

It's simply the market. Supply and demand in action. Nothing wrong at all. Something is worth as much - or as little - as somebody is prepared to pay for it. Buyers choice.

People who purchase with the sole intention of making a profit are adding no value, and preventing those who really want them from buying at the retail price. That is profiteering at someone's expense, which ever way you wish to try and spin it. It shows no skill, only a lack of respect for other modellers.

If you think any different, then you are entitled to that opinion, as I said we have a different moral compass.

You may want look up the definition of the word moral, before telling me it has nothing do with them.

I have now posted 3 times to clarify my perspective, I do not believe I can make it any clearer, even if I posted another 50 times, so I will leave it there.

Archived