Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

FIRST GREAT WESTERN Mk III's

martin_l_jones

Yes it's something that can be fixed by fitting laser glaze, but not something that I'd planned due to the extra cost. On closer inspection some windows have glue on them too, some of which has found it's way onto the bodywork slightly. 

They're a pig to glue in, superglue doesn't like the plastic and it's quite tricky to get it onto the top edge, presumably why Hornby didn't glue there. But they did on the older ones. . different workers I guess. 

Just to report back, I've now removed and refitted all windows. Looks 100% better for it and well worth the hassle. They pop out with no fuss or damage if you're careful, and after scraping off excess glue from both surfaces with a scalpel you can re glue them for a flush fit. The glue used is quite thick and will prevent a flush fit if it's not removed. 

Chassis wise, clean off the glue from the clips (some have it some don't) and also remove the double sided tape that fixes the seating to the chassis (this is a new addition and doesn't help the coach flex and settle down) and cut about 1.5mm from the seat moulding inner clips on one end to allow a bit of play between the seat and chassis mouldings.

This worked for all 7 of my coaches and they now go together as they should. The chassis has a very SLIGHT bow, but I can't do anything about that, and unless you stare at it from track level you don't notice anymore. 

Panic over as it's not terminal, but I've never had to do work like that on brand new stock before.

Hope this helps.

Mine had the bodies glued to the chassis clips too and had the seats stuck down with sticky tape. I had to yank them apart to get inside, definatley didn't have to do this on my original set. There is less blue in the dynamic lines than the older ones too. Its all pink and white swirls but hardly any electric blue which isn't very good compared to the first lot. These are hotcakes for Hornby so don't see why they didnt continue making more sets. They should've made more TGS's because people are going to want them to use as BF0's for the sleepers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes all the mk3's are the newer releases, only the buffet and the TGS are from the orginal lot. These ones have dark blue seat mouldings instead of turquoise like the first batch had which helps hide the old style layout a bit better if you don't wish to mod your rare and expensive carriages.

• 1 month later...

Are now being made available to more retailers by the looks of it than just the standard Hornby outlets - One appeared in the Kernow Model's email newsletter last week, and I spotted a few in (WHS) Modelzone this afternoon. Nice to see Hornby finally starting to restock more retailers with these models - I wonder if the power cars could make a welcome return next year along with the sought after Mk3 TRFB & TGS?

Archived