37 sound

• RMweb Premium

I have just purchased 37506 which I will be re numbering to 37672 for my Cornish based layout. So my question to those who know more than me is. Is there a particular sound decoder I should go for for this particular locomotive (37/6?)

• RMweb Gold

37/6 is a refurbished 37, the greatest change meaning it has starter motors instead of using the generator to "motor" the engine over, both southwest digital and howes offer "refurbished" sounds and legomanbiffo may offer them as well, but I only have howes and SW digital chips.

give me a few mins and ill gladly upload some videos for you.

• RMweb Gold

So :)

First Video shows 37501 and 37502 both sound fitted with "refurbished" sounds from southwest digita

Second video shows 37698 again refurbished with sounds from Howes

3rd video shows 37035 unrefurbished with sounds from southwest digital for info this is exactly the same chip as the one fitted to 501 and 502 southwest digital offer refurb and non refurb on the same chip you just use different methods for operating the sequence you want

You can hear that there is no loud "whine" on 37035 this is because unrefurbished 37s use a start winding in the main generator to motor the engine over when the 37s were refurbished amongst other things they were fitted with alternators instead of generators (as English electric generators are a little prone to flashover) and as a result you cant use an alternator to motor the engine over, so conventional start motors were fitted.

also 684 is a little louder then the others esp with the priming pump, as I believe the sounds were recorded in the engine room note 37s were not fitted with triple pumps (English electric were cheapskates ;) )only an oil priming pump, which is very quiet from the cab, almost undiscernable :)

Oh and to be pedantic :) its not a 37/6 its a 37/5 the 37/6 designation was only given to the 12 37s the EPS had refurbished and a 37/5 essentially is a 37/4 without ETH. however.....as I recall none of the 37/4s were converted from splitbox 37s they were all centre headcode 37s where as 37/5s were from both :)

Thanks Phaeton I always wondered what refurbished and unrefurbished meant in the context of the 37

And of course there is the Digitrains version on ZIMO. This has sounds for BOTH refurbished and non-refurbished on the same decoder, selected by CV, so you can hear the differences for yourself.

It also has instant coasting on F6 and single 'notch down' at any speed controlled by the throttle.

Plus stay alive capability built - in, and a 3W amplifier. (some others have 1.8W).

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

And I would have included it Paul but my speaker setup for the zimo I have in one of my 37s doesn't do it justice :(

For info I wouldn't discount zimo at all, ive got 5 zimo chips and im very impressed with the features offered :) so have a look for some ZIMO videos as well.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting sound Simon the first sound has a shorter whine and what appears to be a slower idle speed. Whereas the second has a longer whine and a quicker idle speed, I quite like the first one but I am no expert on 37s. Thanks for the posting.

The Digitrains 37 on a Zimo chip does take some beating......instant thrash, instant coasting both on a Function button, this is instant on or off. Loco under load mode ....you name it it does it!

You can have the 37/0 or 37/4 on one sound chip and the driveability is fantastic!

The Digitrains 37 on a Zimo chip does take some beating......instant thrash, instant coasting both on a Function button, this is instant on or off. Loco under load mode ....you name it it does it!

You can have the 37/0 or 37/4 on one sound chip and the driveability is fantastic!

Agree with the above!!!! had Digitrains reblow v4 chip for me at Warley just gone :no: its 37/4 realy loud,lots of detailed sounds and functions....

Archived