RMweb

864 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

Lastly, I have created a "Cutting Template" for each sheet in the free download kit. The templates are in *.svg format, contain the same registration markings, are zipped up for convenience and can be downloaded by clicking HERE.

That is my lot until I get some feedback from you nice people who know so much more about automatic cutters than I do :)

Cheers!

Thanks Frank, as it was my suggestion I'm trying this out, but my Silhouette Studio doesn't recognise .SVG as a file extension?

Edit - it appears that SVG is open-able from the Designer edition, but apparently not the free version (v3) - is it possible to save as a  .studio or .studio3 file and I'll have another go?

Jon

Edited by jonhall

Thanks Frank, as it was my suggestion I'm trying this out, but my Silhouette Studio doesn't recognise .SVG as a file extension?

Edit - it appears that SVG is open-able from the Designer edition, but apparently not the free version (v3) - is it possible to save as a  .studio or .studio3 file and I'll have another go?

Jon

If you use Inkscape you can probably open it in that, then export it for import into Studio. My Portrait is still in its box, as I'm too busy getting prepared to use it to actually set it up, so I can't check it out myself!

just save the SVG file as a DXF file and Silhouette will open that ok.

Sometimes when I open files in Silhouette they're way over to one side. I Zoom out a couple of times and then I can see it? don't know why this happens with some files, just thought I'd mention it in case you think it's not loaded.

Hi Sleeper,

If it's any consolation, I've often found that dxf files do not always open the way you expect them to, in other software, it's just not a problem with silhouette. fwiw there are many versions of dxf, you may, if you have any choice, find a compatible version.

Best wishes,

Ray

It's free and very useful ;)

I'm sure, but everyone who has a Silhouette cutter probably has the Studio software, so it would make most sense to put the cutting file out in a format native to that.

I think its a great bit of initiative from Frank to take this suggestion on board, and hope that my acting as guinea pig will smooth the path to more kits being machine cut-able, and generating more users of both cutters and his buildings.

Jon

Hi folks,

I decided to order the Curio when it becomes available. May I ask what kind of glue and styren sheets you buy and wherefrom ? Already asked over on NGRM but might reach more readers if asked on both sides .. :P

Really looking forward to this. Drawing in 2D is a hole lot easier than 3D CAD, plus that with these machines we get the result right away. Also a bit more fun me thinks, we are still making parts and assemble them. 3D prints from shapeWays are most often complete finished with a price tag matching it ..

Henrik

Edited by Henrik Laurell

Hi Henrik,

I own a silhouette portrait, which although it has a smaller cutting width suits what I use it for as I model in 00 gauge. From what I've read in this thread a lot of people think the same way.

The only drawback in the past has been that the maximum thickness that these machines will handle, is very thin, which means cutting several layers and then laminating them together and that can bring problems.

The solvents available on the market are very strong and can set up stresses in the layers which makes the sheets warp. I have had personal experience of this happening.

The one good thing about the new Curio when it becomes available will be the increased thickness of material it can handle and so the need for laminations might not be necessary, I understand they are to produce deeper cutting blades to fit both the Cameo and Portrait models, which will be a good thing.

I buy my plastic sheets in A4 size when I'm over in the UK and I use the Humbrol plastic weld solvent.

These items are readily available on the British market, there are some advertised on this Forum, Eileen's Emporium is one and they post worldwide at a reasonable cost too.

Look back over this thread from the start, you will learn a lot from it about using the Silhouette cutters.

thanks for the info.

yes I had followed this thread for a while and intend to continue doing so. In general hole this forum is great, don't know why I previously visited so seldom.

looking forward to be able to contribute to this thread later on.

Henrik

Never have I felt so out of it. Downloaded Inkscape.  Totally bewildering. Yet you all seem to understand it!   I feel I could spend a thousand years stumbling around the thing and never learn to draw a straight line.  It's worse than Templot (which had me in full Ed Reardon mode within minutes;  I had to scrub that wretched program off my hard-drive and down 3 G&Ts before I could stop shaking).  

The Inkscape "guide" seems to relate to something with only a passing resemblance to the thing on my screen and was indecipherable in the absence of the knowledge the techies who wrote the guide assumed I had.  As soon as it started gabbling about "snapping" in a way that assumed I was as familiar with this concept as with, say "walking" or "frowning", I was lost and never found my way back.

How the Hell do you people do it?!? 

Quite possibly I'm a moron, but really, it's impenetrable to me!

Yet you all post away as if using these programs is the most natural thing in the world.

Work through Mike's tutorial, then study this one. Between them they cover just about every aspect of Inkscape you need to know to produce cutting files. I've never got on with the usual manuals and tutorials with any software, as they always show you how to do things that are of no use, and omit anything that could be remotely helpful. I think I've actually got to grips with Inkscape thanks to them. Now I just need to practice, and get my Portarit out of the box, plug it in, and see if I can make it work!

Thanks.  When I can next block out time to concentrate on this and achieve Inner Harmony, I will go through these.  I had tried to follow the online manual, but my head kept unscrewing and clattering to the floor. 

Never have I felt so out of it. Downloaded Inkscape.  Totally bewildering. Yet you all seem to understand it!   I feel I could spend a thousand years stumbling around the thing and never learn to draw a straight line.  It's worse than Templot (which had me in full Ed Reardon mode within minutes;  I had to scrub that wretched program off my hard-drive and down 3 G&Ts before I could stop shaking).  

The Inkscape "guide" seems to relate to something with only a passing resemblance to the thing on my screen and was indecipherable in the absence of the knowledge the techies who wrote the guide assumed I had.  As soon as it started gabbling about "snapping" in a way that assumed I was as familiar with this concept as with, say "walking" or "frowning", I was lost and never found my way back.

How the Hell do you people do it?!? 

Quite possibly I'm a moron, but really, it's impenetrable to me!

Yet you all post away as if using these programs is the most natural thing in the world.

Its a steep learning curve (see what I did there) but stick with it. At 53 I thought I was to older dog to learn any new tricks bit I'm getting there and am now turning out drawings that are usable but could never have done it without the help and advice on here. Steve

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

More on the build in the kit scratch building section under gwr siphon 01

Now that is nice, I was going to have a go at drawing a Caledonian empty cask wagon next which is not a million miles away from this so I'm looking forward to your build thread. Steve

Never have I felt so out of it. Downloaded Inkscape.  Totally bewildering. 

Part of that will be practice, but if you can't get on with it, try the Silhouette Studio software, I'm managing perfectly well with that.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this is surprising, but when I look at new drawing software, all I try to accomplish over the first few goes is:

1. To download and install it - sometimes easier said than done

2. To open it and have a look at the buttons and menus to see if there are things familiar to me - even just basic things like File->Open and File->Save. Hovering your mouse over a button will generally display a tooltip that tells you what the button is for.

3. I then try to find out how to draw a square or rectangle

4. Then a circle and some other shape

5. I have a look to see if I can change the colours of the shapes I've just created

6. I try to find out (if it isn't obvious) how to move and resize the shapes

Finally, I save the file and/or print it

If I get annoyed or frustrated, I'm less likely to learn, so I just stop what I'm doing and put the kettle on or do something else for a bit. If I'm really stuck, I'll either look on the Internet for an answer, or put it away for the night.

I suppose my point is to take is slowly.

I also agree with the others, once you've done the above, have a look at Mike's tutorial. If you just don't like it, then go with Jon's suggestion and give Silhouette Studio a go. If you have questions later, Andy York has allowed attaching both Inkscape and Studio files to forum posts.

My own Inkscape style moment was trying to learn Xtrkcad - a great piece of free software, and for that I'm grateful, but an absolute b*gger to use. Even moving things about on the screen is difficult.

As I said earlier, I've always struggled with tutorials and manuals for pretty much every bit of software I've ever tried to use. Whoever writes them must live on a different planet to me, as I can never see the use of the examples they give, and get frustrated that they don't describe the things I want to do. That usually leads me to give up with drawing and graphics programs!

Mike's and JCL's tutorials were very different, as they explain how to do exactly what I want to do with Inkscape. From there I've gone on to take the first few steps with getting to grips with it. I've produced a couple of mock-up buildings, cut out by hand rather than with the Silhouette. To produce them I also started to get to grips with certain aspects of GIMP, that has also been driving me nuts, but having specific limited uses for it seems to have helped. For the buildings, I've used it to edit and resize textures to import into Inkscape.

post-7091-0-35205800-1437497619.jpg

I've also used Inkscape to draw most of the track on the mock-up of my new Cheapside Yard layout. So fairly straightforward stuff where I'm not having to worry about creating cutting files, but just getting used to using it.

I've also started importing and sizing drawings, ready to start producing cutting files, but I'm not sure if what I've done so far will be used. It's good practice though. One thing that I've found very important is to get to grips with guidelines. Mike didn't use them in his coal office, but drew lines to use as guides. Guidelines can be precisely controlled, as you can enter the position manually, so I've been adding them for all the known dimensions before importing and scaling the drawing. Drawings aren't necessarily accurate, and there seems to be an error in the height of the solebar on this one. It was also printed at something like 6.74mm scale. There's quite a bit of learning to do in precisely scaling drawings, and straightening them, so it's worth just practising that before even thinking of drawing over them. I haven't started doing that yet. A big feature of guidelines is that, when I start drawing, objects can be snapped to them, so I'll actually be drawing lines to the guides rather than the hand drawn lines on the drawing. That's why I've covered this wagon with guidelines.

post-7091-0-31358200-1437498409.jpg

Another thing I've been practising in GIMP is using the Perspective Tool on photos. I struggled with it for a while, then discovered a very useful post by Martin Wynne on how to do it properly. On this one, I've imported, straightened and scaled the drawing, and created a mirror image of the side to get the other side. Then in GIMP, I've taken two photos, one almost side on, and the other a 3/4 view, and adjusted the perspective to get both sides and one end. The 3/4 view had people in the way, so I removed them with GIMP's Clone Tool. You need the length and height to scale the end result, and importing them into Inkscape and adjusting them to fit the drawing and guidleines produced pretty amazing results. None of this is very clever or difficult stuff, it's just that I've been able to focus on a few areas that I need, rather than the programs as a whole. The objective is to produce cutting files, not pretty illustrations, or become an expert in the software. And I haven't even got the Silhouette out of it's box yet!

post-7091-0-81075500-1437499376.jpg

So read the two tutorials, and start practising the first steps, without worrying about the whole process, even if it means producing stuff you don't have a use for at the beginning, as long as it's fairly straightforward.

• Like 5