860 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

• RMweb Gold

This is quite amazing. Sales of styrene sheet will be increasing greatly.

Jason, you mentioned at the top of the thread that it would cut very thin chipboard. I assume that it would not do any wood with a grain as the blade would get dragged off course. But might it cope with a thin ply?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Hi Joseph, it's very specific Silhouette chipboard. Since I wrote that I found some in a store in Vancouver. I'm not near my cutter at the moment but was going to have a go. Seeing it in the flesh, as it were, I'm not too impressed with it. I'll let you know as soon as I get a chance.

Hi Metal hip.

Try these people for quality card for all purposes.

Cheers.

Allan

call-sales-top-blue.jpgcontactus-top-blue.jpg

logo-smaller.gif

Item Qty Price Sub Ttl: £0.00 Delivery: £0.00 Tax: £0.00 Total:
£0.00

categories
* Card Making + Bags * Colour Laser Printer Paper / Card * Sample Packs * White Card * White Paper *Pearlescent Card *Pearlescent Paper 1 Sided Colour Paper / Card 12x12 Card 12x12 Paper 5x7 Card 6x6 Card A1 Card A2 (SRA2 Card) A2 Card A2 Paper A3 (SRA3 Card) A3 Card A3 Paper A4 (SRA4 Card) A4 Card A4 Paper A5 Card A5 Paper A6 Card A6 Paper A7 Card Black Paper & Card Bulk Buy Box of White Card Business Card Board Carbonless NCR Paper Sets Clearance Items Color Set Recycled Paper & Card Conqueror Crease / Cutting Service Day Glo Fluorescent Paper, Card, Rolls Display Paper Rolls Envelopes Extra Thick Box Board Gloss & Silk - 2 Side Coated Gloss Card - 1 Side Coated Greyboard / Backing Board Hammer / Linen Card & Paper Iridescent Category Mirror, Holographic, Metallic Card Packaging Supplies Self Adhesive / Sticky Back Paper Special Paper Square 155mm (6") Vellum Papers Wedding

newsletter signup

select currency
eur.png gbp.png

school-council-po.png

paper-cutz-price-promise.gif
barclays-papercutz.png

paypal.jpg
american-express.jpg

facebookbutton.gif

248401_medal.gif
perl-paper-central.png
Paper Cutz - Online Paper and Card Shop
fast-delivery.jpg
Cutz Your Paper Costs

Welcome to Paper Cutz - the fast and easy way to get high-quality paper and card in a huge range of weights, colours and textures. From common sizes including A4 and A3 paper and card up to massive poster rolls of 50m in length, we’re confident we have the supplies you need whether you’re buying as a hobbyist or placing bulk orders for an educational establishment. Our huge stock includes pearlescent and fluorescent papers, carbonless invoice paper (NCR) and normally hard-to-find items like high-quality black card too. With great prices across our whole selection, you’re sure to find the paper you need at some of the lowest prices around.

Xerox Gloss / Silk xerox-smooth-white-paper-and-card-722-c-

A2, A3, A4, A5, SRA3
Gloss and Silk Coated High Quality, Hi Whiteness, Super Smooth Paper and Card.  Guaranteed for All Laser Printers,

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Pro Design Paper/Card a3-hi-white-super-smooth-paper-90gsm-pro

A2, A3, A4, A5, SRA3 High Quality, Hi Whiteness, Super Smooth Paper and Card.  Guaranteed for All Laser Printers, and most Ink Jet printers.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
1000's Boxed White Card hp-centre-boxed-white-card.gif

A range of White Card - Small Pack Sizes. Weights: 160, 220, 240, 250, 285and 300GSM Sizes A2, A3, A4, A5, A6. Pulp Board with a Smooth Matt Finish

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
1 Sided Gloss Card a4-gloss-one-side-fully-coated-soild-ble

A2, A3, A4, A5, SRA3 High Quality, 1 sided gloss coated, matt on the back  Guaranteed for All Laser Printers, and most Ink Jet printers.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Pearlescent Paper 12x12-pearlescent-paper.jpg

The whole range of Centura Pearl Paper, and the popular  colours of the  Star Dream Pearl Collection. 90GSM, 95GSM and 120GSM. Available in small and large pack sizes

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Pearlescent Card hp-centre-pearlescent-card.jpg

Centura and Star Dream Pearl pearlescent card. Centura Pearl allow for the creation of beautiful crafts, with their range of pearlescent and pearlised card.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Color Set Recycled col-set-recycled.jpg

A2, A3, A4, A5, SRA3 High Quality, Recycled Paper and Card.  120GSM 270GSM 350GSM. Guaranteed for All Laser and Ink Jet printers.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Envelopes hp-centre-envelopes.gif

We have all the popular sizes of Paper Envelopes in stock including White and Creams in DL, C6, C5 and Square Sizes.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Card Blanks hp-centre-card-blanks.gif

We have a fantastic selection of card blanks for you to choose from. Our high-quality card blanks offer you the opportunity to design and make your very own, personalised handmade cards.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Grey/Backing Board hp-centre-grey-backing-board.jpg

A2, A3, A4, A5 High Quality Greyboard / Backing Board.
Arts / Crafts / Pad Making / Backing Board.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Sticky Back Paper sticky-back-paper.jpg

A2, A3, A4, A5, SRA3 High Quality, Sticky Back Paper.  Permanent and Removable, Gloss coated and Matt coated available. Guaranteed for All Laser Printers, and most Ink Jet printers.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Cut or Crease to Size creasing-service.jpg

Take advantage of our made to measure cutting service and creasing service.  Its a self service item, just add your requirements to the box.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Premium Gloss / Silk gloss-silk-mid.jpg

We have a fantastic range of 2 Side Coated Gloss and Silk papers for you to choose from at low prices for everyday use. Available in 135GSM to 350GSM and small and large pack sizes..

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Black Paper and Card black-card.gif

We have a fantastic selection of Black Card and Paper every size including A1. Supurb Smoothness and real black colour.
From 120GSM to Extra thick 1500 Micron. 

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
A4 Coloured Paper col-paper-hp.jpg

We have a fantastic selection of A4 Coloured Paper in 80GSM, 100GSM and 120GSM. Matching colour range, recycled and black. Suitable for all laser and inkjet printers

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Day Glo Fluorescent day-glow.jpg

A2, A3, A4, A5 High Quality Greyboard / Backing Board.
Arts / Crafts / Pad Making / Backing Board.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Reflective Card holgraphic.jpg

A2, A3, A4, A5 High Quality reflective card. Mirror, Holograpihc and Metallic in a range of colours and effects.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif
Poster Paper Rolls hp-centre-poster-paper-rolls.jpg

Display Paper Rolls, Border Rolls - Plain, Scalloped Edge, Corrugated Card Board, and Scalloped edge corrugated cardboard, Day Glo Fluorescent Display Paper Roll.

hp-centre-shop-now.gif

Paper Cutz is a family run company and as such we appreciate the value of exceptional customer service . We’re proud of our reputation as one of the leading suppliers of A3 and A4 paper, envelopes and display paper. Our reward: A very long list of customers who return to us time and time again to replenish their own stocks. Spend a little time browsing our site and you’ll quickly realise that we’re passionate about paper. Whether you’re looking for exquisite Vellum A4 paper, black card, backing card or heavy-weight presentation card, our prices and commitment to fast shipping put us ahead of the competition. Spend £25 and we’ll take 10% off your order.

From A4 and A3 paper all the way up to our banner rolls, we source all our products from manufacturers right here in the UK ensuring you get the highest quality papers and card at very affordable prices. Our stock is growing all the time and as we expand we’re able to offer even bigger discounts on large orders - so make sure you check back often for great deals across all our A3 or A4 paper, black card, display paper and business cardboard. We’re happy to provide free samples of any of our paper or card - just get in touch, or place an order now with our secure online shopping process.

quick search

royalmail2.gif
10percent2.gif
more-savings.jpg
postal-banner-new-6.30pm.gif
free-sample2.jpg

pearlescent-card.jpg
pearlescent-paper.jpg

envelopes.jpg
white-paper-sml-packs.jpg
banner-white-card.jpg
fluorescent-banner-animated.gif
paper-rolls.jpg
paper-edge-rolls.jpg
myphoto2art-web-banner-web.gif

fbbutton.jpg
shopzilla-coe-8-4-13.jpgfooter-cards-8-4-13.jpg  footer-email-us-1-8-4-13.jpg footer-request-sample-2-8-4-13.jpg

Call sales today: 0161 231 1238

JCL,

I have now acquired a Cameo (delivered Friday), and to my shame I must own up to having read the instructions, for which I shall no doubt be drummed out of the brotherhood.

I really must thank you for your efforts in authoring this thread, which first brought the machine to my attention.

On a slightly different note, vertical bars in windows which have not been etched can be represented by a narrow stripe from one of these Snopake type pens. (Someone else's idea on this forum).

Dennis

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, Dennis, what did you do again? Something about dog whistles :)

With regards to the elongated rounded corners on panels. Without a doubt this can indeed caused by the knife being off centre, but if you are new to this, it can in part also be due to the way the shape was drawn.

As you can see below, the top rectangle was drawn to size and has perfectly rounded corners. The bottom shape was drawn as a square, and then stretched to a rectangle the same size as the top shape. The difference in the profile of the corners on the bottom shape is pretty evident. In Studio, the corner can be reshaped by clicking on the rectangle, and moving the dots until they are the shape you need. If you aren't sure, check your corners before you cut!

post-14192-0-63898200-1386657085.jpg

Edited by JCL

...a common graphics error (especially in photoshop) They should really build in some algorithm that rescales the rounded corner when a rectangle is reproportioned :)

I don't actually think it is an error.   The graphics applications are actually stretching a shape and curved corners should deform in that way if the stretch algorithm is applied properly.   If you stretch a rounded corner rectangle in a CAD program,  then curved corners are maintained at the same size and curvature.

Jim.

• RMweb Premium

Well finally I have got the portriat out of the box! I'm using the drawings of my tender sideframes as test pieces just to find out what various settings do.

I'm very impressed with the cutter, it's very quiet (I hadn't used it in the evenings with the daughter in bed just in case it was too noisy, but I don't think it will even annoy SHMBO in the other room). Setting up the cutting from the drawing was easy (I was expecting all sorts of issues!).

The only thing which was slightly annoying is the fact that the drivers for it aren't 'approved' (or whatever microsoft call it) for use with xp. It seems to work ok mind!

Going on what I have discovered so far it appears that for 20thou you need to wind the blade upto 10 (although a setting of 11 or 12 would be better!) and I found that by double cutting twice (click on double cut in the cutting window, let the machine cut, and then when it's finished press 'cut again') it is almost through.

10 thou I agree with Mike on setting 4. I need to play a bit more on this thickness though.

Heres a couple of pictures of the Portrait cutting a new sheet of 10thou. (220x345mm sheet dimensions). I've got it on the floor (on a sheet of brown paper to stop cat hairs and dust from the floor) at the minute as the lead is too short to allow it to go on the table! I have ordered a 3m usb A-B lead today (Less than 2 quid from ebay with free postage!) to allow the relocation.

post-8375-0-87641000-1386758833.jpg

post-8375-0-68251600-1386758845.jpg

Andy G

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the cutting mat/carrier sheet is under there, it just doesn't show up being clear. I'm looking forward to it getting less sticky, as peeling the cut outs off is a pain!

post-8375-0-20566700-1386783702.jpg

Each one of them is stuck to the cutting mat, and needs peeling off using the tip of a blade, takes ages!

Andy G

• Like 1

Nothing groundbreaking from me, just standard window frames, cut in 10 thou:

post-3717-0-39547700-1386789749_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, this is N Gauge, the glazing bars being .3mm wide:

post-3717-0-51735500-1386789802_thumb.jpg

My original project, started a while ago, was a diorama based on Erstfeld depot in Switzerland however I chickened out of trying to cut out the windows as seen here:

post-3717-0-24629600-1386789878_thumb.jpg

In fairness the glazing bars are very fragile and could really do with thickening up. Thankfully having had the disaster with the card previously my carrier mat is not so sticky and seemed to work well. I agree, peeling off the individual cut outs afterwards is a thankless task.

I should add that this was cut with the CB09 cutter holder with the depth set by eye and double cut.

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Like 1

Hi Mike.

You said "Believe it or not, this is N Gauge, the glazing bars being .3mm wide" -  which in N guage reprersents a glazing bar 1ft 6 inches wide, but also illustrates how you can take liberties with dead scale and it still looks good - and correct !

Well Mike, your windows are VERY impressive indeed and I wouldn't fancy trying what you've achieved with a Stanley knife and bi-focals as I systematically converted styrene into confetti !

Wonderfull stuff.

Allan.

Hi Mike.

... the glazing bars being .3mm wide" -  which in N guage reprersents a glazing bar 1ft 6 inches wide...

Allan.

Did you get your decimal point in the wrong place Allan? I make it about 44mm, around an inch and half.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

Have you tried cutting 20thou with the CB09 turned up to 11 or 12? ;-} I suppose this is actually achieveable by just winding it out a bit more.....

Andy g

(Still waiting for his)

• RMweb Gold

It looks at the moment like my machine needs different settings to other machines. If the other machine settings for cutting look the most common, then I'm happy to amend the tutorials on previous pages. I'm waiting for this CB09 holder now to see what that does. One thing though Andy, 11 maybe, but 12? Are you mad??? Nobody went to 12! :-O

In all seriousness, eventually the blade depth will be limited by the amount of gap between the bottom of the holder and the plastic mat, so please be careful you don't go too deep straight away.

These posts are looking great, it's marvelous to see what other people are doing with their cutters.

Edited by JCL

Blades look to be a potential on-going cost, especially if, as was suggested you should change them after 4 sheets. I presume that's with a lot of cuts as the blunting would come with mileage (or inchage).  Saw these on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-CRAFT-ROBO-SILHOUETTE-WISHBLADE-blades-HIGH-QUALITY-FREE-UK-P-P-SAME-DAY-/131040320770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e829c9d02

2 for £12.00 without the holder, but I suspect if you're using the cameo for any of the purposes described here, dismantling it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Any news on how Google Sketch-up files saved as .dxf might work.  I've had a lot of practice in Sketch-up on non-railway stuff so the learning curve would be easier.

• RMweb Premium
Hi All,
 A couple of quick shots to show my first attempts with the Cameo cutter. I've made a few mistakes along the way, but I feel I'm now getting to grips with it. Thanks to JCL for his tutorails and inspiration.

Coal Yard Office

Girder Bridge 4a

hopefully the pics will be uploaded - it's my first attempt...

Gaz.

• Like 4

Have you tried cutting 20thou with the CB09 turned up to 11 or 12? ;-} I suppose this is actually achieveable by just winding it out a bit more.....

Yes, I cut the main doors out of 20thou using the CB09 but only so far as scoring then for the final cut scoring deeper and snapping out. In theory I could have kept cutting until it had gone through, however it is not easy to tell whilst the material and carrier sheet is still in the machine.

• RMweb Gold

I agree Mike, there's been a couple of occasions when I could/should gave cut deeper, but it's difficult to tell if it's necessary on small items because invariably they are sat underneath the cut head when it comes to rest. I'm not sure how you'd do this on the portrait, but on the Cameo I can press the pause button on the machine and check that way.

For the Portrait owners, is there a way to pause or cancel a cut? How would you do it?

• RMweb Premium

There is a pause button, but I've not pressed mine yet........

Is there a way to feed the sheet further into the cutter? I can only use the feed in and feed out keys after the cutter has finished.. It would be quite handy to be able to feed the sheet in further, while it is still in the machine. any ideas?

Andy G