Peco Point Motors Again ...

AGR Model Store

Right,

I'm currently working on fully built layout, with peco points all way round.

But I've got 1 with common problem, it will throw one way but only click on way back but not throw the arm.

Would it be busted point motor or power short ? I've points further down the layout which work perfectly fine. Wiring is fine, all other point motors are wired the same.

Just want to make sure I'm not over looked anything.

Anyone help ?

Right,

But I've got 1 with common problem, it will throw one way but only click on way back but not throw the arm.

Would it be busted point motor or power short ? I've points further down the layout which work perfectly fine. Wiring is fine, all other point motors are wired the same.

Just want to make sure I'm not over looked anything.

Anyone help ?

Point motor might have gone out of alignment.

Also make sure that a bit of grit hasn't got caught up in the blades or one of the little electrical contact strips hasn't risen up to block the point blade..

Make sure the point operates freely by hand.

• RMweb Premium

Right,

If you're using Peco points, check that the over-centre spring on the tiebar hasn't popped out of place.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a misaligned motor to me - never had the spring problem BUT Mick does know a thing or two so well worth checking.

This is how I (we) motorised our points (before we moved to Tortoises) :-

Wedge the points in the middle of their throw, move the pin to the centre of it's throw and mount, ensuring shaft of motor aligns with tiebar movement - a lot easier with two, the one on top can check the pin comes out square in all planes which means it's almost certainly aligned.

A problem I'm encountering occasionally at the moment as I busy installing. Almost always solved by re-aligning.

Also, are you using a CDU? I was using a Peco one but replaced it with a Gaugemaster --> all suspect points now firing first time :)

• RMweb Premium

Which point motors are you using?

I use a mix of PL10 (clip in), PL10E (underfloor long pin with mounting plate) and PL11 (surface mount) all on Peco points.  

Both the underfloor types can fail to throw if misaligned - check by gently moving the motor against such "give" as it has.  The long pin version can be particularly fussy due to the physics of transmitting the motion up the pin.  The surface mounts are fussy and whilst reliable when you get them right will not like anything other than being dead level, dead straight against the track and with the tie-bar at a perfect 90-degree angle.  Check these basics and if possible try to move the motor slightly to see if a better alignment brings results.

Check there is nothing preventing a fairly free movement of the point and that it throws by hand both ways with a definite click and isn't spongy in action.

It's also worth checking the polarity of the wiring.  More than one point (of 63 on my layout) was wired up "correctly" only to display one-way throw as described by OP.   Reversing the two control wires at the switch (or at the motor if you can) soon brought the offenders to order.

I don't use a CDU these days, though used to, because my Hornby switches don't like working with them.  No motor has ever burned out though some throw with a buzz while others click firmly into place.  With CDU operation everything just clicked.

• 2 years later...

I've come across one modern PECO point that was particularly stiff when attached to a motor (PL10E) and just would not throw either way. Still not working after direct connection to a PL 10 and thorough lubrication of everything that moves. Then I spotted an old thread that suggested "easing" the point spring would help.

With some care I applied gentle pressure to the visible arm of the spring, pushing towards the single end of the point (Note: this is the spring section running from the anchor slot at right angles to the track direction viewed from beneath). Hint try a little pressure first then retry the point action, for me a couple of applications of light force was sufficient to significantly reduce the stiffness of the point and I had immediate success when reinstalled on a PL 10E :)

As a further aside, beware cutting off of PL 10E rods in situ as shown in one popular on line video. The steel bars are very tough and it is very easy to overheat the delicate plastic cross bar of the point as it is very close to the cutting point.

Archived