Cambrian and GWR 0 Gauge layout -Revised Plans

Donw

• RMweb Gold

A big stroke of luck today. I was admiring Peter's work on his Saltdean thread I would post a link here but that is another thing which seems to have become impossible with Win8. It is worth anyone's time. Peter had assembled a lovely horsedrawn vehicle which I commented on and questioned whether it was a local type or could be seen at Dolgelley. Peter then responded with an offer of about 50 photos of Dolgelley many, close ups of the buildings a real treasure. Also he had two rating diagrams one of which shows the signal box positions which can only be for the period I want. The diagram tallies with the SRS records that Mike found

The two signal boxes are the square building with a bit on one side which must be the steps. One is to the west of the bridge on the down side, the other to the east of the dock turnout on the up side.

All in  a brilliant result

Many thanks to Peter.

Don

post-8525-0-13976200-1434057037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donw
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Don,

That is good news.

I run Windows * and do not seem to have the problems you have.  If you go to the very bottom of the page on the left there is a link 'Change Theme'  If you click on it, it should be RMWeb_2013.  If it is not then that might be the problem.

• RMweb Gold

Also he had two rating diagrams one of which shows the signal box positions which can only be for the period I want. The diagram tallies with the SRS records that Mike found

The two signal boxes are the square building with a bit on one side which must be the steps. One is to the west of the bridge on the down side, the other to the east of the dock turnout on the up side.

Hi Don,

I suspect you've already seen it but just in case not I thought I'd post a link to a flickr photo of what appears to be the 1901 1:2500 map of Dolgellau stations, with the GW on the northern platform and the Cambrian on the southern platform. The photo of the map has the new school and council buildings and houses north of the Bala Road drawn in by hand but the station and the track layout appears to correspond exactly to the plan that you've shown above, with the two signal boxes in place. The second link is to the same location on the Old Maps website. You can't zoom in as much as you can on flickr without spending some cash, but you can see the map without the new buildings drawn in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69821359@N06/14106291804/

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/272904/318034/12/101136

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the Links Neil. It is funny the Flickr one is associated with some photos of a model of dolgelley station but the model is of a later period and is different to the plan. Most models have been based on the GWR period when the station was moderately quiet as most train just stopped to set down and pick-up passengers. The earlier period when it was operated by two companies should be much more interesting to operate.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Passed through Dolgellau today nothing much to see of the railway site well that's due to it having been changed into a roadway. What was apparent is how much Cader Idris shows behind the town. Two problems one is that looking at any point along the station Cader Idris would be visible which is impossible on a model bacscene. Second problem due to the sloping ceiling any hills etc. in the background will have to be kept small. So a rather nondescript range of low hills behind the trees which front the river is the best possible.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Passed through Dolgellau today nothing much to see of the railway site well that's due to it having been changed into a roadway. What was apparent is how much Cader Idris shows behind the town. Two problems one is that looking at any point along the station Cader Idris would be visible which is impossible on a model bacscene. Second problem due to the sloping ceiling any hills etc. in the background will have to be kept small. So a rather nondescript range of low hills behind the trees which front the river is the best possible.

Don

While I have passed through there a number of times seeing the spectacular background of Cader Idris you could take the approach of the background that I've also often seen when looking in the direction of Cader Idris... a bit of mist, mixed with some fog blended in to a swathe of low clouds, with no hint of a mountain. That way your low hills behind the riverside trees is a pretty good representation of the prototypical view.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

While I have passed through there a number of times seeing the spectacular background of Cader Idris you could take the approach of the background that I've also often seen when looking in the direction of Cader Idris... a bit of mist, mixed with some fog blended in to a swathe of low clouds, with no hint of a mountain. That way your low hills behind the riverside trees is a pretty good representation of the prototypical view.

I hadn't thought of that Neil yet the view towards the moor from the train room windows can often be cut off by the clouds The trouble is painting the sky backscene all clouds would be a bit depressing I suspect.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't thought of that Neil yet the view towards the moor from the train room windows can often be cut off by the clouds The trouble is painting the sky backscene all clouds would be a bit depressing I suspect.

Don

I was thinking something more like the cloud bank in this http://www.johnhennessy.co.uk/outdoors/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/CRW_0631b.jpg (which isn't of Cader Idris but gives the idea.) With the clouds just a little lower, you get the hills in the foreground, clouds obstructing the mountain and bright blue sky above meaning your layout itself can be in the sunlight of a spring or summer day! The fact that you have a sloping ceiling could even add to it by bringing that blue sky even more overhead with a deeper azure blue as you get up towards the zenith.

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst travelling I decided to put together a wagon or two. These are Dragon kits on a Slaters base and some Slaters as well.

Firstly I like to firstly deal with the etched hooks using a suitable file round the edges off slightly and the point (which is tapered full size) this helps the loops to slip on and off easier. I also make the slot behind the hook a tad larger. Then using Carrs black (or your own favourite) blacken them. I usually do a batch

post-8525-0-36805400-1434726978_thumb.jpg

As this kit has the planks detailed inside the build can just continue

First assemble the ends

post-8525-0-59255800-1434727091_thumb.jpg

When assembling the chassis I find it best to cut out part of the W iron which fixes to the solebar at the buffer end this avoids the buffer ram contacting it reducing buffer movement. ( should have taken a photo)

I also check for minimal side play on the wheels too much play can cause buffer locking.

post-8525-0-30828100-1434727420_thumb.jpg

Next step will be to paint the remainder which I will do at home.

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back at home with some urgent jobs done and a wet start to the afternoon I have done a little modelling. I was going to use a Timber tracks Double slip set of timbers but I am planning to use 31.5mm rather than 32 as I prefer the narrower flangeways. Thinkomg about it I decided the reduction in the gauge  should result in the crossing noses being slightly closer together. By my estimate roughly the crossing ratio times the reduction in this case a 1:7  so 3.5mm which could result in the noses not being squarely on the timbers. So I made a quick template using Templot. It is a single slip as I got confused trying to make it a double but good enough for me. The timbering is to suit a double. This showed that if I used the Templot which was set to 31.5mm the timbers would be slightly different. So I am cutting my timbers.

I usually like to build turnouts in situ but this one is at the rear and with the sloping ceiling I was concerned I might not have sufficient access for such a critical unit. So I have put down the template further forward and will make the double slip then lay it in place.

post-8525-0-27927900-1435873603_thumb.jpg

Having cut the timbers for the DS I then started dyeing them

post-8525-0-19749100-1435873621_thumb.jpg

I am using Blackfriars Dark Jacobean. I apply it by brush making sure I don't have too much on the brush doing the top and sides. and then leave to dry. I am reasonably satisfied with the results. Although comments would be welcome

post-8525-0-63782700-1435873638_thumb.jpg

The next task will be to lay the timbers choices to hold them in place are pritt stick or double sided sellotape. I don't want anything which will wet the template or it will stretch or cockle.

While waiting for it to dry I started to make the crossings which I will build on another copy of the template. My recent trackwork has been in 2mm oh the ease of filling 2mm crossing and blades compared to 7mm ones.

Don

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I was going to use a Timber tracks Double slip set of timbers but I am planning to use 31.5mm rather than 32 as I prefer the narrower flangeways. Thinking about it I decided the reduction in the gauge  should result in the crossing noses being slightly closer together.

Yes. When printing templates for diamond-crossings and slips it is very important to set the gauge exactly to match what you will be using. Otherwise it is impossible for the rails to align correctly. For turnouts you could fudge building to 31.5mm gauge on a 32mm template, but not for diamond-crossings and slips.

The TimberTracks range does not seem to have recognised this fact, selling the same bases for all gauges. 

Martin.

Hi Don,

Coming along nicely. I suppose it depends if you want to remove the template from under the sleepers, I use double sided tape on the template and cut the tape for which section I'm doing and then lay the sleepering. I will be leaving the template under the sleepers, as I'm building the junction in place.

I like your colour for the sleepers, it's rich and dark. I've used Rustins Dark Teak, but I'm still not 100% about it yet.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. When printing templates for diamond-crossings and slips it is very important to set the gauge exactly to match what you will be using. Otherwise it is impossible for the rails to align correctly. For turnouts you could fudge building to 31.5mm gauge on a 32mm template, but not for diamond-crossings and slips.

The TimberTracks range does not seem to have recognised this fact, selling the same bases for all gauges. 

Martin.

Thanks Martin. I knew that the distance between the acute crossing noses is a critical dimension and had to depend on the gauge (otherwise it would be the same for 4mm and 7mm) I could have done it by cutting the webs and re-adjusting the spacings I just though it easier to just follow the templot print.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don,

Coming along nicely. I suppose it depends if you want to remove the template from under the sleepers, I use double sided tape on the template and cut the tape for which section I'm doing and then lay the sleepering. I will be leaving the template under the sleepers, as I'm building the junction in place.

I like your colour for the sleepers, it's rich and dark. I've used Rustins Dark Teak, but I'm still not 100% about it yet.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty. Colour is always somewhat subjective.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Busy this afternoon helping to set up the simple layout for kids in a railway carriage at Minehead Station. This is part of the Thomas Week club members will run it this and next weekend.

While there I poked my head out of the window to see what colour the sleepers were. Being close to the buffer stops it is an area where locos would stand so the centres were black and rather oily while the ends were rather wasahed out with a hint of grey in them. Didn't have the camera as I was humping stuff around.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having started on the slip my mind has wandered onto what ballast to use. Now here is a good question at Dolgelley would the GWR have used something local slate quarry waste, Granite from the Pwllheli Granite co or would they have used some standard GWR stuff from elsewhere. I believe the Cambrian used some of the stuff which would collect under the Bridge at Dolgelley, as Green records the GWR have to pay for someone to remove it in later years.

Thoughts anyone?

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Found some time for further progress

post-8525-0-36743200-1436825764_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-87141200-1436825786_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-34475500-1436825799_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-58312800-1436825814_thumb.jpg

Previously I have used bits of etch to create the crossing but here have used some 36thou brass which is about right to match the chairs, but it is a lot more work to cut and trim. It can then be epoxied down onto the timbers.

Don

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

No progress on the slip yet as we become rather Nomadic in the summer although it will necessary to retreat in the face of the hordes of kids in the school holidays. Still I have one of two Slaters kits to build. I see the price on the box is £19.95 How long has that been in stock? Quite a good investment! 

Don

• Like 4

Trackwork progress is looking superb Don, I wish I had your, (and others) patience to build track long term. That Slaters kit is great value mate, I liked to take the Parkside ones away with me on our November Holidays, ideal relaxation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have not been posting on here as there has been a slight diversion. Our local club has agreed with the WSR to put on a display of a few layouts in conjunction with the October Gala. This a few weeks before our big show at Rail-ex Taunton.

We needed to sort out some layouts. There must have been something in the tea as I offered to do so scenic work on this old layout and take it along.

post-8525-126968188524_thumb.jpg

It was built originally around 10 years ago when faced with an impending move I started it to keep me busy and use as a test track. Rather than build the turnouts as usual I used a few Peco ones I had lying around. The move occurred before I had much done. It is seen above in rected after a few years of storage when the loft had been converted. We moved again to look after elderly parents soon after and it was stored again. On moving here it was stored in the garage at first. We discovered the garage roof was worse than useless.

One baseboard has been scrapped as it had bowed ridiculously due to being soaked. 

Still it will give me a chance to try some new ideas on the scenic side. I will post some photos of work in progress

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have not been posting on here as there has been a slight diversion. Our local club has agreed with the WSR to put on a display of a few layouts in conjunction with the October Gala. This a few weeks before our big show at Rail-ex Taunton.

We needed to sort out some layouts. There must have been something in the tea as I offered to do so scenic work on this old layout and take it along.

It was built originally around 10 years ago when faced with an impending move I started it to keep me busy and use as a test track. Rather than build the turnouts as usual I used a few Peco ones I had lying around. The move occurred before I had much done. It is seen above in rected after a few years of storage when the loft had been converted. We moved again to look after elderly parents soon after and it was stored again. On moving here it was stored in the garage at first. We discovered the garage roof was worse than useless.

One baseboard has been scrapped as it had bowed ridiculously due to being soaked. 

Still it will give me a chance to try some new ideas on the scenic side. I will post some photos of work in progress

Don

Don,

What scale is this one?  Sorry to hear about the ruined board.  Hope you get the garage sorted as well.