Cambrian and GWR 0 Gauge layout -Revised Plans

Donw

• RMweb Gold

Andy

the fiddle yard is about 42in along the tracks with 3in for the flap. Actual train length is a little less due to the stock guards. It was a little tight for the Bulldog and two coaches. I need to find a smaller coach perhave replace the larger brake with a Composite or build the Barnum waiting in the to do box. I also need to find a simple way to hold the flap up while I swing the stock round. For the show I just used a wander lead with croc clips to power the FY however for DCC it would be simple to supply via an auto reverse.

Don

• Like 1

Andy

the fiddle yard is about 42in along the tracks with 3in for the flap. Actual train length is a little less due to the stock guards. It was a little tight for the Bulldog and two coaches. I need to find a smaller coach perhave replace the larger brake with a Composite or build the Barnum waiting in the to do box. I also need to find a simple way to hold the flap up while I swing the stock round. For the show I just used a wander lead with croc clips to power the FY however for DCC it would be simple to supply via an auto reverse.

Don

Or a pair of Choc Blocks, Male / Female sockets, it would then be a simple unplug, rotate, re plug in the other end, the polarity would then be right and ALSO no trains could accidently move, (i.e. controller on 1 for a Loco) whilst rotating the Yard.

Like these.

post-9335-0-30371800-1449229215_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-07729700-1449229234_thumb.jpg

If they worked vertically under the lifting flap it would then be an automatic power cut off and re instate.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Or a pair of Choc Blocks, Male / Female sockets, it would then be a simple unplug, rotate, re plug in the other end, the polarity would then be right and ALSO no trains could accidently move, (i.e. controller on 1 for a Loco) whilst rotating the Yard.

Like these.

attachicon.gifAlmost all wired 011.JPG

attachicon.gifAlmost all wired 012.JPG

If they worked vertically under the lifting flap it would then be an automatic power cut off and re instate.

I was thinking of something like that Andy. If I could integrate it with the flap it would be a great help. However I either need two on the table at opposite ends wired in opposite directions or use an autoreverse. For DC I would need to have a means of switching each line individually

Don

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the year is soon to end and you may have noticed little has been done on the loft layout. Indeed it has gone backwards as the boards have been taken down. We are hoping to move. An offer has been accepted on the Bungalow and we hope to move to somewhere with more outdoor space.  The place we are hoping to get will need a lot of work so there may be some time before I can get on with modelling. I have been promised a modelling room but it may not be as large. There could be other possibilities but in the short term I think a small layout for testing and amusement with a focus on building the many kits in stock will probably be the way ahead. I still hope to build the model inspired by Dolgelley so the stock will be based on that aim. I may also build the buildings in the meantime.

I think I will retain this thread as it is a convenient place for all the info others have given me. So thanks to all those who have contributed.

Meanwhile Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you all.

Best Wishes Don

• RMweb Gold

Don,

All the best for the future and the move, hope it all goes smoothly.  Have a good Christmas and a prosperous New Year.  Look forward to your modelling and words of wisdom in the coming months when things have settled.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don, I hope the move goes well and that the layout is resurrected succesfully in a new modelling room. I do hope "more outside space" equates to garden railway!:-)

Best wishes

Dave

Indeed Dave a garden railway for the Live steam is on the list of essential wants. However there will probably be a lot to do first.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don, sounds like you've got a lot on your plate, but I hope you've had time to relax a little over christmas. No chance of moving walls in the new place, I suppose, to allow for Dolgelley? Or combining the indoor space with an outdoor extension? As you can see, I'm full of good ideas on your behalf :)  

Have a good new year, I look forward to seeing the stock and new layout(s) develop. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mikkel. There would be plenty of space in the garden to build a train room but there is a list of more important things which need time and money. I will have the use of a bedroom about 10ft6 x9ft 6in which is not unreasonable. So I will have something smaller build up the stock I require and possibly other things like the Station Buildings, Goods shed, Signals and Signal boxes and so on. Then review the position. I could conceivably build some parts of the layout key pointwork areas. I have looked at the loft but it doesn't really have the headroom required.

It is my fault as I was the instigator of the move. We used to have a cottage with 3/4 acre. I would prefer to have that sort of space again.

Don  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

We have successfully moved. The bad news modelling wise is there is an awful lot of work to do to get the place straight, the garden is currently a field and needs fencing to keep the dogs in and some needs 'heavy landscaping to create a terraced garden near the back door which involves demolition of some out buildings. The good news is that Marion is minded to allow me the use of two adjoining bedrooms to use for the indoor trains. This would give me around 20ft x9ft. I think I could shoehorn the planned layout into that space. So I it looks like Dolgelley will be built just not yet.

Don 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don,

Glad to hear that you have moved.  I assume that as it was so quick from your announcement that it was already under way when you did so.  All the best with your work to sort the place out.

• RMweb Gold

Will you knock the two rooms into one ?

It looks as though there may have been a door between them as part of the wall sounds hollow. I will probably make a biggish hole through for the trains to pass through. If I made that where the overbridge is I could model half the bridge on either side :scratchhead:  :O  

I don't want to really combine the two rooms in case we need to move.

Don :paint:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Walked the dogs a different way tonight. Next door have a WR roundel for a numberplate on his house. Came back via the footpath between our houses and could see some track in the garden probably 5 inch gauge. That something I would mind myself and Marion would not object as long as it didn't intrude. I am thinking of narrow gauge style ride on ... Two issues one is the slope of the ground although it is less up the top end. The other is the cost. There may not be much left in the piggy bank by the time we have done all the other things. Still one can dream. I will have a decent space for the 16mm Live steam.

Don

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I fixed up some batons and bits to support one of the baseboards. No I am not ready to model but the baseboard is safer fixed up over all the boxes of train stuff stored. I will fix the other one too but may need to trim an inch or two off the end to fit into the new space.

The question was asked about knocking the two rooms into one not really practical as the wall between will be taking some of the roof load. Probably best not to knock any holes through until the building inspector has signed off all the other planned work.

One advantage as it is a normal room without the sloping ceiling I should be able to have a decent backscene. High enough to depict Cader Idris.

Don

D

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Today I fixed up some batons and bits to support one of the baseboards. No I am not ready to model but the baseboard is safer fixed up over all the boxes of train stuff stored. I will fix the other one too but may need to trim an inch or two off the end to fit into the new space.

The question was asked about knocking the two rooms into one not really practical as the wall between will be taking some of the roof load. Probably best not to knock any holes through until the building inspector has signed off all the other planned work.

One advantage as it is a normal room without the sloping ceiling I should be able to have a decent backscene. High enough to depict Cader Idris.

Don

D

Don,

That sounds good.  I hope you are settling in well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

THe baseboards for the goods yard end have been erected ready to be covered as work is needed on the roof above the room. I also put the portable layout on top of them. I took this picture of one of the boards showing the first draft of the hills on the backscene. Oddly despite being just light green blobs I find them quite effective. I think is because the absence of anything is more obvious. A vague outline is enough for my eye to accept and keep its focus on the modelled foreground especially when the trains are running.

post-8525-0-96992000-1461449705_thumb.jpg

also noticed was the two dolgelley boards which fitted together well did not fit as closely in the new room. I suspect the loft room wall was not true as it would have followed the line of the purlin. Hopefully the new room has truer walls.

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 13

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

You were on my thread this morning and I thought, here, I haven't checked what's going on in minehead recently, so, what's going on in minehead recently? That's Cambrian, not butlins.

Not a lot modelling wise for me. We have demolished the first floor extension. Which proved to be fun firstly the windows had huge cast in situ lintels (despite taking no roof load and only about three courses of bricks ) the big one weight over ten hundred weight. Rather tricky to remove at first floor ceiling height. I had to lower it with jacks down to sill height by removing bricks either side. I then has to drill and chisel it into pieces about 1.5 cwt  which I could then lower. Next joy was finding between the boards over the joists and the felt there was over 2 ton of tarmac about 1.5 inches thick laid on a wire mesh. Not easy to break up standing on the roof you are trying to demolish. I managed to lower all the joists using ropes except the last one were there wasn't another joist to use to lower it. Since then we have put new rafters over part of the roof and laid a flat roof over the rest, and are now tiling the roof which has also involved re-tiling some of the original roof which hadn't been felted properly.

There is still a lot more to do before I can return to modelling. All the models and parts are packed away and covered in a tarpauling as the roof over them is part of the work.

Don