The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

April 1st comes early?

DonB

The small matter of a free-for-all in air traffic control has not been mentioned. A fleet of grocery delivering planes at one altitude, of clothes and footwear deliverers at another, of consumer goods at a further level - it does not bear thinking about. I shall not be ordering electronics or glassware from any supplier using such technology for fear of being bombed with / by them.

Must be a wind-up, surely ? :scratchhead:

Intriguing, but as deliveries in this neck of the woods are reliant on the postcode, it wouldn't work here !

Our postcode covers about twelve properties, some many hundreds of yards from our house and many built years before or years after ours.  Furthermore, as we are descended (I choose my words carefully :jester: ) from farm land and buildings, there are no numbers to back up the system, only house names, many unreadable or non-existent.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall Kent(?) police were looking at drones as a great way to use taxpayers money, but had to give up on the idea because no-one could definitively tell them what licences they needed to use drones for civilian purpuoses in UK.

I seem to recall Kent(?) police were looking at drones as a great way to use taxpayers money, but had to give up on the idea because no-one could definitively tell them what licences they needed to use drones for civilian purpuoses in UK.

Some SWAT-squads/Military tacticians are already using the little quad copters, equipped with videocams and transmitters, for airborne surveillance of crime/terrorist seige situations. When you think about it, there are huge savings to be made over helicopters for that, and road traffic reporting by news crews

Must be a wind-up, surely ? :scratchhead:

Intriguing, but as deliveries in this neck of the woods are reliant on the postcode, it wouldn't work here !

Our postcode covers about twelve properties, some many hundreds of yards from our house and many built years before or years after ours.  Furthermore, as we are descended (I choose my words carefully :jester: ) from farm land and buildings, there are no numbers to back up the system, only house names, many unreadable or non-existent.

Royal Mail were trying to make some money by the postie having a GPS tracker and getting the location for each delivery on a database that they could then match to postcodes to sell on. 

One assumes that the working plan is low level flight to delivery point, vertical descent and ascent to make the drop off. A single service provider can operate all outbound in one flight level, all returns in another flight level to avoid collisions. How many flight levels available for multiple service providers to segregate in that way over a given territory? That will be something for government to sell on a highest bidder basis.

If you want an Amazon delivery by this method, you will have to install an Amazon roof top level 'post box' i.e. drop off zone. (With some sort of shut off device on it to enable anyone needing to work on the roof to do so without being delivered on.) Drones cannot safely enter the 'common user zone' with numerous other randomly moving objects that extends about four meters up from the land surface. Just too much else moving about, some of it potentially undetectable until collision is unavoidable.

The restricted airspace applicable to much of developed urban and semi-urban areas will be fun too. The necessary extensive no fly zones where flight controlled aircraft take off and land will result in 'drone lanes' to get around these obstacles. Oh my, they are going to be popular...

drones could also be used to deliver packages to common pick-up points, such as some variation of the Amazon Lockers that exist at the moment.

according to the BBC article on this subject, use of civilian drones will be widely permitted from 2015 in the US and 2016 in Europe. if they are made clever enough they will be able to automatically avoid each other and other things.

it's the future. not that I'm happy about it.

I can certainly imagine people trying to shoot them down.

How on earth is a drone going to ring my doorbell??? Some robotic finger that pops out, perhaps...

It will send a message to your mobile appliance which will then tell you your parcel is on the doorstep. Of course your 'connected home' will recognize this message and ring the doorbell for you - just in case you don't have any of your 'wearables' on.

• RMweb Gold

It will send a message to your mobile appliance which will then tell you your parcel is on the doorstep.

Nah. It doesn't need to go to your doorstep. You phone will give out your current GPS coordinates and your shopping will hunt you down wherever you are.

Connected homes, the portal to hell. The problem is that DoorServ 5.3 has a bug on it that on the bell beng run causes all KitchenWorks v4 and lower to cook the entire contents of your freezer. And that of course automatically invokes Tesbury Restocker, so that if you are little slow detecting this going on there will be removal of waste collection service by your local authority due to waste stream overload, as KitchenWorks auto-disposes all uneaten food ninety minutes after it has been supplied for eating.

Archived