Feedback on this western terminus plan

Tomsontour

hi one and all,

with a recent house move on the cards i finally have room to start a small layout :D Now i have settled on doing a western themed layout, set somewhere in either Devon or Cornwall. Mainly based on Great Western, although locos will have a mix of Western and Southern steam, the layout will be based in the BR transistional period. I have started the planning process now, i feel time spent here will save me time in the long run! My avalible space is 9foot long by 5 foot, in an L shape, board will be around 2 foot wide on each one.

matt_s_train_set.jpg

Now from the plan above you can see i have pretty much gone for the classic branch line terminus, the part on the right hand side will be where i will be using cassette fiddle yards, with a small single road engine shed in front of them to hide them, with a few sidings to plan shunting to the top right of the plan with the station forming the main scenic section. Is there any changes you think i could make to this to help with playabilty??

This is the first draft, just thought i would get peoples ideas on this one

Many thanks

Matt :)

Agreed. This is the one thing that you need to sort out. There are probably zero real life examples of a branch line arrival having to shunt before the passengers can alight.

Unless I've misread your plan and the line behind the trees is a headshunt and arrivals come from in front of the trees?

The two sidings to the bottom right - what are they for?

Seems like rooms for a couple of wagons each, but if there were only one would fit a lot more. Carriage siding, perhaps? 

Are there any loco facilities - if so where? This could  be that.

The taper on the platform seems a little long - there's a significant 'too narrow' portion where you couldn't disembark passengers.

Whet are the goods sidings? Is there a shed? Is there a yard, even?

For me the layout seems much better - it's just the detail.

• RMweb Premium

Flows nicely, but I don't think it solves the shunting problem.  Goods train arrives, engine runs round, takes wagons out down the main out of sight behind the trees, comes back and propels into one of the two sidings which can be accessed from the headshunt - but shunting options are then severely limited.  I think 3 kickback sidings into the top right corner using the non-platform road as the headshunt (as per the original) would be better - but keeping the other changes which definitely improve things.

Good luck!

Chris

The two sidings to the bottom right - what are they for?

Seems like rooms for a couple of wagons each, but if there were only one would fit a lot more. Carriage siding, perhaps? 

Are there any loco facilities - if so where? This could  be that.

The taper on the platform seems a little long - there's a significant 'too narrow' portion where you couldn't disembark passengers.

Whet are the goods sidings? Is there a shed? Is there a yard, even?

For me the layout seems much better - it's just the detail.

i'm not really used to Scarm, so can't really get all the details in there i'd like, but down on the righ hand side i hope to have a small engine shed of some sort with a water tower and coaling bins, platforms is just added so i can see what is avalible, bay could be addjusted to compensate :)

As to a goods shed, i'm thinking about maybe have a small goods shed, but i dont want it to be heavy on buildings and have a spaceous look about it, as to frieght traffic, there will be a cattle dock, possible oppersite the station building, with general frieght also

Flows nicely, but I don't think it solves the shunting problem.  Goods train arrives, engine runs round, takes wagons out down the main out of sight behind the trees, comes back and propels into one of the two sidings which can be accessed from the headshunt - but shunting options are then severely limited.  I think 3 kickback sidings into the top right corner using the non-platform road as the headshunt (as per the original) would be better - but keeping the other changes which definitely improve things.

Good luck!

Chris

many thanks Chris, i'm not sure how i am going to sort out the shunting puzzle! its something i defiently want to include, with it being a branchline the passenger flow is not going to be massive, so i could possibly use the run round when no passenger services are due???

Many thanks for all your help guys :)

Matt

The use of the run round to accept and assemble freights was common.

Another question - does your hidden line extend to a fiddle yard or is that it? Of it doesn't extend and you've shown us the total extent of the plan that will limit the train length anyway.

Is it possible, therefore, that you could use the 5ft end as the main end? I'm thinking St Ives, curving the platforms round. For what I mean have a look at the St Ives plan here http://www.scribd.com/doc/25621693/Model-Railway-Trackplans-1995

You'd then have an effective fiddleyard space, hidden perhaps by the loco servicing facilities

Hi John,

bit behind the trees is planned to go into the fiddle yard, which will have an extra board put up for the cassettes when playing, limited as this is going in the front room of our flat lol, and i think we need access to the kitchen lol,

And that is something i hadnt thought about, that could open up a new possibilty! might give that a try!

Many thanks mate :)

All the best

Matt

Over in The most westerly western parts of Mid West Wales there was the Seaside GWR terminus of Aberayron. The GWR called it Aberayron, the locals and most everybody else call it Aberaeron.

But it was a pig to find it on a moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobble streets silent and the hunched,

courters'-and-rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloe black, slow, black, crow black, fishing boat bobbing sea.

I've posted this plan of it before on this forum, but it might tickle your fancy here.........

post-4404-0-39861300-1386422118.jpg

Regards

Eric

sorry kris i didnt see you had replied, but aye certainly come a long way with the plan already, thank to everyone in here :)

and eric, i do like that a lot, especially the river flowing through, might need to consider adding some sort of stream now by the engine shed! anyone else got any more suggestions as i'm find this all rather helpful :)

take care and many thanks again

Matt :)

Archived