Bachmann Torbay Express

martin_l_jones

I notice that the Bachmann Torbay Express is now available.

Whilst I appreciate the Warship is not to the latest spec I wondered whether this set was good value for money as the coaches are worth £20 each assuming they are to the same spec as the standard BR Maroon releases.

My question really is how good are the Warships..

Are they DCC ready, with head or tail lights and does the head code box illuminate... ?

• RMweb Premium

The description on the website of a certain Liverpool based box shifter says: can motor, no DCC socket. This would "suggest" that this Warship is to a lower spec than that of the main range. I have enquired with that merchant direct, and will share what I learn from them, as I myself am interested

The pictures of the box show the 8 pin DCC socket icon clearly on the front, but elsewhere I have seen 21 pin socket listed for that locomotive. Either way, it should be DCC ready. Looking at the pictures on Hatton's site, the headcodes look to be behind "glass" which suggests they may well be illuminated like the "proper" production models in the main range.

I'll let you all know for sure when mine arrives (I thought it was too good a value to pass up since I wanted the maroon warship anyway and the set doesn't cost much more than just the locomotive).

Although the Warship is an old model, it has stood the test of time well, and has been upgraded mechanically and electrically by Bachmann.It has a good quality motor and runs superbly.The latest warship releases have 21 pin dcc and headcode & marker light illumination. Don't think Bachmann would take a backwards step with this set. 

The Warship is the same spec as the main range.

Bachmann BRANCHLINE OO  SCALE

Cat. No

Description

Era

DCC

RRP

30-053

Torbay Express train set. Comprising Class 42 in BR green (No. D829 ‘Magpie’), 2 x Mark 1 coaches in BR maroon (W24165 + W21021 Brake End), oval of track and controller/transformer

21 PIN

£112.99

The Box looks to have an '8 pin DCC logo' on it... while 'a Cornish retailer' says its 21 pin DCC ready!  The people who can confirm one way or another at Bachmann have all gone home, so no joy there until tomorrow... but I'm sure I've read the controller is analogue... a new one, maybe... about £20 odd pounds.  On the other hand, Hattons believe it ISN'T DCC Ready!!!

Whoops, you got in just before me, Andy.  Great news... if you're right!!  The photo shows Maroon, not Green!!

As Andy Y says, it should be part of the main range; the 2013/14 catalogue shows it as 21-pin DCC-ready (that's where I got the idea from in my earlier post but couldn't remember at the time where I saw it!).

I'm guessing the box art work was prepared some time before the model specification was finalised and erroneously shows the 8-pin icon.

Whoops, you got in just before me, Andy.  Great news... if you're right!!  The photo shows Maroon, not Green!!

Sorry to disappoint you on this one but Richard Proudman has sent further clarification.

·         Class 42 Warship diesel locomotive No. D829 ‘Magpie’ in BR Maroon livery (the locomotive is fitted with a 21Pin DCC socket and features working lights)

·         BR Mk1 SK coach in BR Maroon livery No. W24165

·         BR MK1 BCK coach in BR Maroon livery No. W21021

·         Bachmann speed controller and AC mains transformer (this is the standard 12v DC controller that has been included in the previous train sets)

·         Oval of track with siding

As has been clarified the box states that the model is 8 Pin DCC which is incorrect. There is no variation to the contents of this train set, the ‘Green Warship’ statement was an error!

Mine arrived today and was waiting for me when I got home. I can now confirm that the locomotive, maroon liveried D829 Magpie, is to the latest specifications, with 21-pin decoder socket, cab, headcode and marker/tail lights all illuminated (the cab lights can be turned off on non-sound DCC with function 1).

Mine was tested briefly on DC analogue power before fitting a temporary TCS EU621 decoder and running-in on my new DCC Concepts rolling road set (ordered at the same time as the train set). I have ordered a sound decoder from Howes so I hope to have that fitted before Christmas.

I don't need the track from the set but I may be able to donate it to a student at my school/workplace who is interested in model railways and has been coming in to my office during some lunch times and chatting. I'd rather it goes to someone who can use it.

The DC controller may end up powering some lights or accessories on my layout.

Overall, I think I have done well on the value for money stakes!   :)

Does anyone now where I might find some etched Magpie plates? I have looked at some of the more usual suppliers with no luck.

EDIT: I have already answered my own question; ModelMaster seem to have the required plates in their lists, for anyone else looking for them (http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/MI_Class_42.php).

}

A couple of photos of D829, Magpie, in service through Newton Broadway LT station. I have ordered the etched plates from ModelMaster.

BachmannWarshipD829Magpie-1_zpsd830c4e6.

BachmannWarshipD829Magpie-2cropped_zps5a

Next, besides fitting sound, after a little bit more running I will weather her a bit and add some details. I intend to cut down the front cowling mouldings so that I can include just the bottom bit below the couplings. That should improve the appearance as well as allowing me to retain couplings at both ends (both of my Westerns are 'single ended', with full detailing at one end and couplings at the other).

I noticed earlier today that my set has two of the brake composite coaches (BCK) W21021. While this is an error for what should be there, it is not a big issue for me. A quick consultation with Keith Parkin's book revealed that I can simply renumber one of them as one of W21020 or W21022-4.

I wonder if someone got a set with two SK coaches in it! :)

EDIT: I have already answered my own question; ModelMaster seem to have the required plates in their lists, for anyone else looking for them (http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/MI_Class_42.php).

}

Shawplan also do a full list of Warship nameplates.

I'm going to ring tomorrow to see if they have a set in stock.

They are slightly cheaper...

• RMweb Gold

With their deep valances Warships and Westerns are the easiest to fit wire coupling loops to - allows you to have full super detailing at both ends and by having run in both direction capabilities alternative headcodes too

Down side is it increases the number of crew required - but IIRC the Bachhy Warship had the most generous provision in times gone by - 4 crew looked excessive when the loco was sat on shed all weekend, overtime would have been expensive for that lot! Whats the manning level for the current loco?

Cheers

Phil

I think there are two crewmen in the number 1 (or 'A' end) cab. Certainly there are none in the cab leading in my photos above (that one is the number 2 or 'B' end cab).

I suppose if they had crews at both ends they could try a tug-of-war for entertainment with the two engines and transmissions!! ;)  ;)  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Those of you who have bought the set....would you say it's good value? And is the included Class 42 Warship and the Mk1 coaches the same spec/standard as the standalone (non-set) models?

Is the Warship loco in this set the re-tooled version like the models that came out a few years ago? Are the forthcoming Bachmann Warships (Class 43) also re-tooled?

In my opinion the set is excellent value for money. All items are to full standard, equal to any such items you would buy separately.

Thanks! And is the controller Bachmann includes in its train sets better than the total piece of junk that is the R8250 controller Hornby include in their sets currently? 

It's a basic controller which feels reasonably solid but:

1. I haven't seen or used the Hornby one so cannot compare; and

2. I haven't actually used the Bachmann one yet - it will probably provide a lighting or accessory output  for me.

As such, I can't really pass any fair comments on either controller. I bought the set for the locomotive and coaches; everything else is surplus but to buy the locomotive and two coaches separately you would spend more than on the whole set ... assuming you can even get hold of a Warship at the present time.

Archived