'Ashcombe'

georgeT

• RMweb Gold

Hi George

In you position, I.e.not having too many locos, then DCC is the way to go.

You can always add sound at a later date. Certainly the diesel sounds are much better than most of the steam. I think partly because it is easier to record diesel sounds direct from the actual loco. Not so easy with the steam locos. Plus of course much more difficult to synchronise the wheel motion / cylinders with a steam loco. Most of the steam sounds ive heard do not allow for coasting etc. Sure that one day this will get sorted.

My only comment is the cost. I appreciate that production costs for the sound files is expensive, but the costs do not appear to be coming down as more decoders are sold.

Hi George

In you position, I.e.not having too many locos, then DCC is the way to go.

You can always add sound at a later date. Certainly the diesel sounds are much better than most of the steam. I think partly because it is easier to record diesel sounds direct from the actual loco. Not so easy with the steam locos. Plus of course much more difficult to synchronise the wheel motion / cylinders with a steam loco. Most of the steam sounds ive heard do not allow for coasting etc. Sure that one day this will get sorted.

My only comment is the cost. I appreciate that production costs for the sound files is expensive, but the costs do not appear to be coming down as more decoders are sold.

Morning Richard, I'm hijacking Georges thread as I think we have got through to him, haahha just had a chat to George and he's sticking to DCC, he just needs to sort out his point motors and wiring now and he will be a happy bunny.

Bodge.

Morning Lads,   Yes l get fed up when things go wrong and do silly things like smash it all up or sell the layout, but l have have a kick up the bottom from those who know, and feel much better now hahahaha  Just need to know where all the wires go to on the tortoise, like the green frog and the black and red wire from the point, ???   Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp  hahahaha  as l say electrics are not my cup of tes......

George

• RMweb Premium

Hi George.

There are decent enough wiring instructions in the box of Tortoise motors and as the polarity switch is built into them, they are a damned sight easier to wire up than Peco and the like (I hate the clip on polarity switches that you have to buy separately for Peco motors).

Hello Jock,  No No No l will keep Bodgit away from 'Ashcombe' as he is a very bad influence on my pocket,  hahahaha  l have already bought a 9f No 92192 and tonight l have bought another N class No 31806 BR lined Black with a DCC chip fitted, 

Broke George

Coming along nicely George. I'm another who doesn't really like DCC sound and although my Speedlow layout is DCC I don't intend on having any sound fitted diesels of my own as its more about the freight stock and shunting and marshalling for me. Catch you soon on the 192 sometime!

Cheers Paul

Hello Paul,  Thanks for dropping in,  Yes l really do not like digital steam sounds, they are not very realistic to me at all just a chuff chuff, must admit l do like the diesel sounds they seem to capture the sound very well, Bodgit (Andy) came up a while ago with a class 27 to run on 'Ashcombe' for a day and it was great really enjoyed that sound, maybe my next venture will be modern image with diesel sounds hahaha who knows /

Take care  George

New allocation at 'Ashcombe' in the form of Ex-GWR 45XX in BR Green, for local passenger services, rests in the sidings behind the signal box...

Now that's nice, WE just need to sort out what WERE doing coupling wise this weekend mate, you need to get rid of the MONSTROSITY of a front coupling for something less obtrusive, but what?

I have had Kadee and used them on the front but there not perfect.

Bodge.

George,

Hope you and all the other RMwebbers that are going tomorrow have a fantastic day. Although I can't be there, I know that Jaz will post lots of lovely images to show what I've missed. I guess that Bodge will have the Box Brownie out as well HaHaHa! I know you'll try to make sure Andy doesn't overdo things, he sounds so excited at the moment, it's a joy to observe after all his recent troubles!

I'll think of you guys tomorrow - look out for the sin of temptation creeping in or your wallet is sure to suffer!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Paul,  Thanks for dropping in,  Yes l really do not like digital steam sounds, they are not very realistic to me at all just a chuff chuff, must admit l do like the diesel sounds they seem to capture the sound very well, Bodgit (Andy) came up a while ago with a class 27 to run on 'Ashcombe' for a day and it was great really enjoyed that sound, maybe my next venture will be modern image with diesel sounds hahaha who knows /

Take care  George

Hi George, yep the digital steam sounds haven't quite got there yet in terms of realism. I do like diesel sounds but the repetition of them often plays havoc with my digital hearing aids and as nice as a 37 or 47 sounds ticking over they will start to get on my wick sooner than later lol! So hence not really bothered too much about sound-fitted diesels on Speedlow but if a guest loco was to appear at a show then I might just warm to it a bit. See you tomorrow perhaps amongst the crowds at RMWeb Live.

Cheers Paul

Hello Bob, The Crompton 33 needs re-numbering so that will be the job for today, plus have decided to build my own track so spend a bit on the materials needed, just down-loaded templot, its all go here at the moment, hahaha

George

Archived