'Ashcombe'

georgeT

l know, l know its far too big for 'Ashcombe' but l love em' 92192 makes an impression posing in the fluorescent sunshine ?

Hi George, I know what you mean, impressive Loco's though, Polly has a weathered version for her GWD layout and we saw the real thing for the first time at Ropley during our holiday.

We have the same problem with the West Country on CQ. Although it looks prototypical with a 2P set behind coming into the station masquerading as part of the Atlantic Coast Express. It doesn't look too good negotiating the double slip on the run around so tend not to run it at exhibition.

Ray.

Hello Ray,  l know what you mean big tender locomotives look awful going over double slips, thats why l binned mine, the answer is to sell me your west country (problem solved), l had a good look at your track building and got some tips, thanks

George

You're not the only one building track George. Here's the crossover and slip for Bodgit's Bitton, in the early stages and in need of a lot of cleaning up.

Slipslidingaway_zps0e152cd7.jpg

WOWSER Mate, that looks the Dogs, guess its to late now to change my mind and go N Gauge, hahaha

Bodge

• RMweb Premium

WOWSER Mate, that looks the Dogs, guess its to late now to change my mind and go N Gauge, hahaha

Bodge

Probably too late for that but there's room for a third rail (and as an ex-LT employee, the fourth rail as well).

Morning Bodgit,   Wowser, now thats a word l haven't heard in years, hahaha, looks like Jason is making a cracking job of the trackwork for 'Bitton', you had better get some nice level baseboards down to lay it all out on,

Can't wait to bring 92192 down for a forty-plus coal train to play with ?

Morning George,

Hadn't occurred to me to ask if the 9F was aimed at the next great project - is it time we found out what you're planning? And does it revolve around that hand made track you're practising on? I think we should be told as they used to say in 'Private Eye'!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi George, surely not, we're all looking forward to you finishing this one so we can come and have a play. Seriously though, we all go through down periods with a layout, but perseverance is a virtue as they say. This is looking too good to give up on it now.

Ray.

Hello Lads, No, l'm not giving up, its just a little moment of lost mojo l think, we all get them from time to time ? and now its my turn l guess ? the answer to your question Jock, the 9f has always been one of my favourite locos as far back as l can remember, it will be too big to use at 'Ashcombe' but that won't stop me, hahaha, 

l have always wanted to make my own track, and now l can, (with the help of the gang) l have been motivated by Jasons trackwork on 'Bitton' for Bodgit, also have had a good look at Rays efforts too, it is very rewarding to see the track coming together,and thanks for the encouragement lads..

George

Hello Jock, l am trying to do too much all at once, l bought a tortoise motor and wired it all up and it works really well and it was a lot easier to install than l thought (just as Jason said) so l need to buy 7 more, also have made a control panel to sit at the front of the layout, and then there are the points l am trying to make, and then work full time, and me ed has caved in hahahahaha

George

Morning George,

Good news on the 'Tortoise' front as I've found the few sets of plastic based 36inch SMP point kits (grandson got them out of the loft for me as I'm banned from ladders for another couple of weeks!) and if I can get round to taking a couple of pics to post,

Jason kindly said he'd give me some tips. One problem is that there is no integral spring to 'hold them over' like the Peco ones but I believe the tortoise covers that issue.

Keep up the good work mate, but don't go at it too hard or your health might suffer! One is enough? HaHaHa!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Glad to hear it's just a hiccough, George.

I've yet to start mine and I've just knocked up Track Plan #3 to explore.  

Hopefully, this should fit in one of the rooms.  The last two won't by any stretch of the imagination.

And as you say, it's very tempting, with all these magnificent examples of hand-built track posted in front of our very eyes, to think about going down that route, too.  We'll see.

So keep at it George, we all stall at some point - even 34053 Sir Keith Park while we were riding behind it.  :jester:

Wot's up, Doc?
post-14049-0-81501300-1411374567.jpg

best wishes

Polly

Edit:

Maybe we could coin a new phrase to address these moments - wheel slip.

Coat, door...

Edit 2: typo!

Hello Jock,  Point taken mate,  The tortoise will hold the point together so you have to remove the spring anyway, l have wired the frog (green) and the track wires (red) and (black) and two wires for the feed from a DPDT switch..hope this helps

George

Archived