South Pelaw Junction

johndon

Guest bri.s

This looks a great looking plan and layout in the making , great start and will be looking forward to your updates and layout progress.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Coming on nicely John

Have had to take the same attitude to stock on Abbotswood Junction as when running long trains the amount of stock is a challenge to weather let alone super detail!

Phil

This looks a great looking plan and layout in the making , great start and will be looking forward to your updates and layout progress.

Brian

Cheers Brian, this one is going to be a 'slow burner' as I'm considering it as my layout of a lifetime so there is no rush to get stuff done. I am however, making good headway on building up the stock I'm going to eventually need.

I'll be honest, I'm also really enjoying the research involved as well and the publishing of what I've found.

John

Edited by johndon

Have had to take the same attitude to stock on Abbotswood Junction as when running long trains the amount of stock is a challenge to weather let alone super detail!

Cheers Phil, I'm of the belief that if you have a train of, say, 25 21ton wagons going past at a distance of 3 feet or more then any super detailing is lost in the overall view...

John

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely

That's the difference between the railway in the landscape and the excellent super detailed layouts we see on here

Its a balance and both are equally valid

Phil

I'm wondering if I should model the junction as it was in October 1985, a lot less track and no turnouts required :)

PeltontoSouthPelaw23October19852004_zps2

A week after this pic was taken, the last of the track was removed...

John

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted and, whilst the layout itself is still just a plan, I have been working on some rolling stock.

The second iron ore wagon is all but finished, just a little bit of filling to do on both wagons and the brake lever and door hinges on the second.

DSC00841_zps88a93921.jpg

And a look forward to the future, a Class 24 at the head of the ore wagons:

DSC00842_zpsc8aacb9d.jpg

John

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

The ore hoppers look great, and I guess there might be less pain involved than in building nine of the Dave Bradwell version (I know, I've built 8 of them!). I'm not sure I could tell the difference at normal viewing distances. The colour looks good too -- for the EM version of South Pelaw we agreed on Precision track colour for ours. 

By way of encouragement and inspiration, last weekend we actually had a loco running under power -- very exciting. There are some pics of this, and also of the scenic progree being made at the Washington/Ouston end on our blog http://southpelawem.blogspot.co.uk.

Best wishes,

Richard

--

• Like 2

The ore hoppers look great, and I guess there might be less pain involved than in building nine of the Dave Bradwell version (I know, I've built 8 of them!). I'm not sure I could tell the difference at normal viewing distances. The colour looks good too -- for the EM version of South Pelaw we agreed on Precision track colour for ours. 

By way of encouragement and inspiration, last weekend we actually had a loco running under power -- very exciting. There are some pics of this, and also of the scenic progree being made at the Washington/Ouston end on our blog http://southpelawem.blogspot.co.uk.

Best wishes,

Richard

--

Cheers Richard - the Alexander versions pretty much fall together so are ideal for someone like me who is currently hopeless at soldering :)  Colour wise, I'm happy with the way they look although, of course, by the time they have been weathered not much of the original colour will be showing.

South Pelaw is looking fantastic, I'd love to be able to see if 'in the flesh'.

Cheers

John

• 4 months later...

Been ages since I've updated this thread, for one reason or another, the modelling mojo has been severely lacking for a while now but I thought I'd get cracking on weathering some of the hundreds of wagons that the layout wil eventually be able to take.

Starting off with some Bachmann 16 tonners - these are the pre weathered ones which are all identical so the first thing to do it try and make them individual.  The rusting has been done with oils (burnt umder and burnt sienna) which I like using as you get a bit of a texture to the rust and they are adjustable for quite some time as the oil takes a few days to dry out completely.  Here is the progress so far (I know that the number panels should probably be fairly free of rust but I'm trying to hide the fact that all three wagons have the same numbers):

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

Next up a couple of 21 tonners, the first is the new Hornby model with the finish based on a photo on Paul Bartletts website:

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

And one from the Parkside Dundas kit.  I've no idea why the end panel should be different to the rest but I do have a photo of a wagon that looked just like this at Consett in 1980:

IMG_0174.jpg

John

• Like 8

Can you describe your weathering techniques, please?  Very impressive.

Thanks.

The two oil colours are stippled on with a small brush, the burnt umber being the darker colour for older rust and the burnt sienna a more orange colour for fresher rust,  By varying the amount of white spirit used as a thinner, you can control the shades of colour almost indefinitely.  As the oil paint has some bulk to it you can can get this rust 'bubbling' from under the paint work effect.

Streaks will be added once the base coat of rust has dried and then a final wash will be added as well.

John

A little more work has been done, the Hornby hopper has had a final wash so it is not time to move on to the chassis:

DSC01057_zpsdoer0sl2.jpg

and the Parkside hopper has had buffers and decals added:

DSC01056_zpstwvziwrl.jpg

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 8

• 5 months later...

Cheers Mal, I'm currently working on some more 21 tonners, a mix of Hornby and Parkside:

thumb_IMG_0397_1024_zpsgvnopik2.jpg

thumb_IMG_0394_1024_zpshrsfmwgs.jpg

thumb_IMG_0396_1024_zpspq2nruxp.jpg

thumb_IMG_0395_1024_zpstfhm3dqp.jpg

John

Hi John,

The over all condition of your 21T Hoppers are superb. I'm not sure if you've already shared how you get the rust and flaky paint effect but it is very realistic, just how I remember them when they were parked up in the siding at Newsham.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1