Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

• RMweb Gold

Mines just arrived this morning. Hattons via Yodel. Great service. I couldn't even see the handrails so i'm happy. It may have been mentioned, but I missed it in all the dribble, can the drawbar be shortened?

I do like a nice 0-6-0. Classic goods engine.

Easily pleased, from Norfolk

The drawbar looks as if it should be adjustable but the end with two potential settings is attached to the tender with a rivet rather than a screw, so it isn't. Very odd.

John.   

Photos look good so far, better than the Bachmann C class which leads me to say that once again the former LSWR is getting all the glory while the SECR gets all.... (This point is a joke).

I cannot wait for my black motor with knobs at the wrong angle to arrive. I am sure feedback from here will lead to improvements and do not think imposing UN sanctions will be required this time.

Edited by JSpencer

The drawbar looks as if it should be adjustable but the end with two potential settings is attached to the tender with a rivet rather than a screw, so it isn't. Very odd....   

That's disappointing.

The 'two hole' drawbars on the most recent preceeding tender loco models (K1, J15) were screw attached. But all was not quite well: on the K1 the drawbar had to be turned around to successfully locate on the shorter setting without fouling the wires; on the J15 I made a replacement drawbar, shorter setting only, to avoid the supplied drawbar on the shorter setting slowly sawing through the wires while in operation. Hornby seem to be thinking of the closer setting as 'for display only'; rather than for operation which is perfectly feasible if not using set track radii.

I'd drill out the rivet on the 700 and make my own attachment arrangements, but then I do like altering things.

• RMweb Gold

A few months back, I suggested the reason that the 700 had been delayed was down to the fact that Hornby had retooled the chassis to fit bearings (they weren't apparent on the service sheet) - I think I was right...

post-7000-0-15079300-1435052101_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Am I right in thinking, that only the BR Early Crest versions has arrived in the UK? And that the other 2 versions will be arriving soon...

Am I right in thinking, that only the BR Early Crest versions has arrived in the UK? And that the other 2 versions will be arriving soon...

Correct, however the Hornby website is saying that the late BR and Southern Railway liveries are expected to arrive at Hornby today, 23 June, so not long to wait

Correct, however the Hornby website is saying that the late BR and Southern Railway liveries are expected to arrive at Hornby today, 23 June, so not long to wait

Just recieved an email from Hornby saying my order for the Southern version is in and ready for dispatch to me. Now the 10 day wait while it crosses the pond.....

• RMweb Gold

Got mine today - early BR version 30693. An excellent model that runs extremely well.  But what a battle to fit a DCC decoder in the tender! You would have thought with a tender of that size that it would be easy, but it isn't.  Firstly, the tender pickups are fixed to a pair of copper strips that are raised off the floor and extend the length of the tender. So care must be taken that decoders do not come into contact. Secondly, the weights are screwed to the underside of the roof and annoyingly are not flush so there's 2-3mm of wasted space.  I've tried to fit a Lenz Standard+ by fixing it with the usual two-sided tab that Lenz supply.  But the tender body won't go back on.  Even though the decoder is single sided there's not enough room between the pickup strips and the weights for this relatively thin decoder.

So I tried a Lenz Silver direct that I have spare for another project. Again, the weights prevent the body going back at one end, and the slope of the tender at the front also blocks it.

Hence the Standard+ has been refitted but with the weights removed. It's stuck to the underside of the tender roof, but I've had to put some masking tape over the bare copper pickup strips, in case after time the sticky tab weakens and the decoder drops on to them.

The problem is that Hornby still stick to their R8249 8-pin decoder, unlike Bachmann who have 6-pin and 21-pin versions of their entry level ones. So fitting a 6-pin decoder into the E4, and a 21-pin into the C class were no problem at all.

As for the handrail knobs, what's the problem? I can't even see that they're wrong from close-up let alone from normal viewing distance. At least the NEM pocket on the tender's at the right height for a Kadee coupling.

And there's a typo on the back of the box describing the loco as "4F".  At least it correctly has 3F on the cab side which is all that matters.

• RMweb Gold

Its very similar if not the same as the T9 six wheel one.

tried a direct board deocder but it hits the top of the tender.

So a small Hornby one wrapped in tape and one of the metal weights removed is the way I have done it.

• RMweb Gold

28'6" or 8.7m would be a credible length for an 0-6-0 locomotive alone, (have no drawing for this specific class) and just needs a slight decimal point misplacement to misinform the customer...

Looking on both the Rail Uk and Semg Online websites they both give the overall length of the Black Motor as 54' 1 1/4", so I think it's another typo the first 8 should be a 1

Got mine today - early BR version 30693. An excellent model that runs extremely well.  But what a battle to fit a DCC decoder in the tender! You would have thought with a tender of that size that it would be easy, but it isn't.  Firstly, the tender pickups are fixed to a pair of copper strips that are raised off the floor and extend the length of the tender. So care must be taken that decoders do not come into contact. Secondly, the weights are screwed to the underside of the roof and annoyingly are not flush so there's 2-3mm of wasted space.  I've tried to fit a Lenz Standard+ by fixing it with the usual two-sided tab that Lenz supply.  But the tender body won't go back on.  Even though the decoder is single sided there's not enough room between the pickup strips and the weights for this relatively thin decoder.

So I tried a Lenz Silver direct that I have spare for another project. Again, the weights prevent the body going back at one end, and the slope of the tender at the front also blocks it.

Hence the Standard+ has been refitted but with the weights removed. It's stuck to the underside of the tender roof, but I've had to put some masking tape over the bare copper pickup strips, in case after time the sticky tab weakens and the decoder drops on to them.

The problem is that Hornby still stick to their R8249 8-pin decoder, unlike Bachmann who have 6-pin and 21-pin versions of their entry level ones. So fitting a 6-pin decoder into the E4, and a 21-pin into the C class were no problem at all.

As for the handrail knobs, what's the problem? I can't even see that they're wrong from close-up let alone from normal viewing distance. At least the NEM pocket on the tender's at the right height for a Kadee coupling.

And there's a typo on the back of the box describing the loco as "4F".  At least it correctly has 3F on the cab side which is all that matters.

This glitch is of a quite different magnitude to the perceived, and perhaps over-frothed, handrail glitch. My question, therefore :- Is there room - within the tender - to hardwire a different decoder? The Bachmann N was far from retrofit-friendly, but one could (just) circumvent the problem with a TCSM1 squeezed into the firebox, and the flyleads soldered to the motor. I should like to believe that this 700 will be a tad more straightforward. The Dunkirk Limited Edition has a strong appeal, but I do not believe that factory-fiitted bits (like weights) should be removed and discarded.

PB

Its very similar if not the same as the T9 six wheel one.

tried a direct board deocder but it hits the top of the tender.

So a small Hornby one wrapped in tape and one of the metal weights removed is the way I have done it.

Looks like I won,t be adding DCC sound to these then!

• RMweb Gold

This glitch is of a quite different magnitude to the perceived, and perhaps over-frothed, handrail glitch. My question, therefore :- Is there room - within the tender - to hardwire a different decoder? The Bachmann N was far from retrofit-friendly, but one could (just) circumvent the problem with a TCSM1 squeezed into the firebox, and the flyleads soldered to the motor. I should like to believe that this 700 will be a tad more straightforward. The Dunkirk Limited Edition has a strong appeal, but I do not believe that factory-fiitted bits (like weights) should be removed and discarded.

PB

I have an N-class that pre-dates the fitting of a 6-pin socket.  It has a Lenz Silver mini that's very easy to hardwire once the PCB board is removed.

For the T9 with the 6-wheel tender, which is similar to the 700, I have also fitted a Lenz Silver mini.  But I've simply taken a spare Bachmann blanking plug, isolated the solder blob at each end and soldered the decoder wires on to it.  The mini decoder then sits at the back of the tender floor on a piece of the Lenz sticky tab.  I may have to do the same with the 700. However I may use a 6-pin decoder instead, and fit using a Bachmann 6-pin to 8pin converter harness (36-563).

I reckon its doable by removing all the Hornby weights, adding lead elsewhere, removing the 8 pin sovket and hard wiring a smaller sound decoder

It is utterly amazing what I got inside a C Class tender, 21 pin chip in the socket, big 25mm base speaker, extra wiring for firebox glow, stay alive capacitor, working lamps on the tender rear and I still left all the tender weights in.

It will feel silly hard wiring a 6 pin decoder and adding a sugar lump to the more recent, similar sized 700. I personally do not see the point of doing just silent DCC, it's always DCC sound for me or not at all.

Dang!! It never occurred to me that one of these might "fit" in my era/location, then I found THIS;

attachicon.gifGuildford_Station_geograph-2663116-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

with it side-by-side with two of my favourites, I may just have to get one :senile:  :jester:

Go on, Ian, give in to temptation!  Sadly, though, it is the one in the middle that none of us is likely to get in the foreseeable future...

Mike.

• Like 2