Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

I'm building a Langley L class Remembrance and a Craftsman 07, but I'm not building a 700 so awaiting the 700 eagerly. Looks like Hornby have just had a large shipment and perhaps the 700's just missed the container.

• RMweb Gold

I'm building a 700......

Hi David,

And very nice it looked, too (albeit still in polished brass at present) when I saw it at Exeter on Saturday.

Incidentally, following on from the comments re pulling power in earlier posts from yourself and Robin Brasher, my mate's Hornby J15 (which, if anything, should be lighter than their 700 will turn out to be) walks away quite happily with 20 wagons (mixed Bachmann and kitbuilt) without slipping.

By contrast, my old Bec 700 could pull all my stock. Unfortunately, back then, that only amounted to three Tri-ang Mk.1s and a dozen wagons! 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have to say that the weathered version does look as if its chuffed through a farm yard.

Not good.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Branchline Hobby Shop appears to be in Australia. Anybody know how their delivery times from shipping ex-China compare to the UK?

John

Surely they are all delivered to Hornby warehouse in Kent and are distributed, including to Oz, from there.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah I agree about the weathering. Perhaps they should contract out to an external weathering service for those releases.

I couldn't do them quick enough - just kidding  :jester:  :jester:

I honestly think they would have been better using a dark grey or weathered black, rather than khaki drab, all over

Really confused! Are they here? Are those models pictured pre-productions or the market ready sample? If they are here, it is ironic they have turn up at a time I am strap for cash and without a car... :umbrage:  

How come the shop as mentioned above in Oz has them?... :scratchhead:

If I've got this right...

The models will go from the factory, to Hornby's distribution centre, to stockists e.g. Branchline Hobby Shop, to the buyer. (Delete 3rd stage as applicable)

So when they say 'Released', I wonder what sense it's meant in?

1) Released from Factory, on it's way to Distribution Centre?

2) Released By Hornby, on their own individual ways to people and stockists?

3) Stockist itself is dispatching them?

Judging by the fact that particular stockist has pictures of the models, it's suggests No3. But, we have no idea exactly who/where those pics were taken. Could they have been copied from an e-mail sent by Hornby to that stockist (If they do such a thing...), to let the stockist know that their allocation was on its way to them?

While they may be due next month, initially they were due back in Sept 2014. So who's to say they haven't arrived a little earlier than the revised expectation?

Regards,

Matt

The shop does say on farcebook that they only post up images if they are in stock and the backgrounds look like their display cabinets.

With the new warehousing arrangements they may be sent direct to the different continents importers rather than paying the UK warehouse to send them out.

• RMweb Gold

post-7482-0-79450800-1434369874_thumb.jp

This is motivational. With some panelled coaching stock in a compatible livery, resistance would be difficult

PB

I've just been looking at a couple of photos in a recently-acquired book showing pairs of these coaches forming Plymouth-Exeter locals in the late thirties but the locos were T9s.

It might have been different in other areas but, prior to nationalization, the Southern had oodles of competent (if elderly) 4-4-0s adequate for such work and afterwards had sufficient Light Pacifics to allow powerful S15s to be "wasted" on three/four coach stoppers between Salisbury and Exeter.

The latter weren't allowed over Meldon Viaduct so I'm guessing Exmouth Junction's Black Motors were fairly fully employed on goods work, both to Plymouth and Barnstaple/Ilfracombe as well as the pick-ups to/from Yeovil.  

John

The latter weren't allowed over Meldon Viaduct so I'm guessing Exmouth Junction's Black Motors were fairly fully employed on goods work, both to Plymouth and Barnstaple/Ilfracombe as well as the pick-ups to/from Yeovil.  

John

Putting it in the positive, was it possible a 700 occasionally made it to Wadebridge and even the end of the line at Padstow?

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

Putting it in the positive, was it possible a 700 occasionally made it to Wadebridge and even the end of the line at Padstow?

Interesting thought. Judging by the lack of published photos, I think "very occasionally" might be closer but here's no physical reason why they shouldn't have done so.

Most goods trains on the North Cornwall used N Class moguls by the late 50s though T9s (and other 4-4-0s) often figure in earlier photos. A 700 would certainly be suitable to take over a working if the rostered loco failed unless a similar one was available. That may offer a clue, though, as 72A wasn't exactly short of Ns.

A 700 regularly appears on Mr Greenwood's well-known 2mm FS layout of Wadebridge without attracting adverse comment. 

If it were my layout, I'd run one, just not too frequently......... 

John