RMweb

Hornby D16/3

Downer

• RMweb Gold

The K1 motor arrived from Petes Spares this morning and I carried out the motor swap this afternoon. I must say it certainly makes a difference in slow speed performance.

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone any candidates suitable for renumbering from 62530 in early crest condition? I picked up a cheap D16 on eBay and wish to renumber it. Thanks in advance!

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone any candidates suitable for renumbering from 62530 in early crest condition? I picked up a cheap D16 on eBay and wish to renumber it. Thanks in advance!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80002-Hornby-d163/page-9

See bottom of page for one example!!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• 6 months later...

Me again, I have another detailing question for anyone who can advise me. I'm rather taken with Hornby's release of 8900 in Apple Green, however it is out of my time period. Thoughts turned to remembering as either 2614 in post-war condition and Gill Sans font, which it carried into BR days up until November 1949, or as 62614 which stayed in green until 1952. My question is, in BR condition as both 2614/62614, was the lining out on the boiler, tender and frames the same as depicted on 8900? And were there any other differences such as valves which would preclude renumbering? I'd be grateful for an answer if anyone knows.

Me again, I have another detailing question for anyone who can advise me. I'm rather taken with Hornby's release of 8900 in Apple Green, however it is out of my time period. Thoughts turned to remembering as either 2614 in post-war condition and Gill Sans font, which it carried into BR days up until November 1949, or as 62614 which stayed in green until 1952. My question is, in BR condition as both 2614/62614, was the lining out on the boiler, tender and frames the same as depicted on 8900? And were there any other differences such as valves which would preclude renumbering? I'd be grateful for an answer if anyone knows.

My RCTS book 3C  figure 52 shows it in lined LNER green dated 1950, with early crest on the tender and 62614 on the cabside. Looking at the table at the end of the chapter shows it was part three from 1939 after it was damaged in a derailment, as 8783, so no mechanical alterations after then noted. Hope that is helpful, but please ask anymore questions if required and I'll try to research the detail for you.

Tod

Edited by HOTTODDY

Hornby's 8900 represents a piston valve rebuild and therefore has convex frames in front of the smoke box rather than the concave frames on 62614 which retained slide valves. The reversing rod was also different.

Roger

Absolutely, but the frames curved shapes and the valve cover can be carved off and the reversing rod easily changed Depending on how much you will compromise on absolute accuracy, a reasonable representation can be achieved. With care the paintwork should survive these modifications especially the rebranding. I've used neutral T-cut on a black D16, backdating it to LNER black, unlined livery, which turned out better than I thought it would.

Happy days and happy modelling,

Tod

Absolutely, but the frames curved shapes and the valve cover can be carved off and the reversing rod easily changed Depending on how much you will compromise on absolute accuracy, a reasonable representation can be achieved. With care the paintwork should survive these modifications especially the rebranding. I've used neutral T-cut on a black D16, backdating it to LNER black, unlined livery, which turned out better than I thought it would.

Happy days and happy modelling,

Tod

Agreed Tod, I guess you could argue that the differences if restricted to a remembering only job wouldn't be that noticeable. I knew of different valve arrangements on D16/3's, but I can't say I'd noticed concave and convex frames until now. But then the purist in me says that it should be an accurate representation where possible. Decisions decisions! Edited by NXEA!

Agreed Tod, I guess you could argue that the differences if restricted to a remembering only job wouldn't be that noticeable. I knew of different valve arrangements on D16/3's, but I can't say I'd noticed concave and convex frames until now. But then the purist in me says that it should be an accurate representation where possible. Decisions decisions!

There's a  lot to be said for the 50 foot rule! Sometimes I apply it on my own stuff, but if it is for someone else, I get a bit more serious. I'm still not a rivet counter though..........

Tod

• 5 months later...

A question for those who know their D16/3's... would Hornby's R3233 model be suitable to represent LNER 8809 in her plain black livery on P.89 of Yeadon's Register of LNER Locomotives Vol.14?

Edited by Garethp8873

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any aftermarket suppliers that do appropriate smokebox darts and whistles for D16 in late LNER/early BR condition? I've had a look at the usual suspects but can only find fairly generic items which I doubt are suitable. I'm sure someone must provide both of the above? 

• 3 months later...

Nice,

Mind if i ask, what you used to remove the British Railways lettering ?

I used fine wet and dry, grade 1200, very gently. Followed by a polish with Brasso, then a waft over the tender body with Tamiya semi-gloss black from a spray can. Works for me and takes about as much time to do it as type it!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Albeit that this is an older thread, I too found that two Hornby D16/3 locomotives (8825 and 9800) ran rather jerkily at lower speeds.
Having found this thread about a 10 days ago, I ordered several of the Hornby K1 motors (with flywheels) from Peters Spares.

Those arrived on Friday (22nd March) and I fitted the motors that evening - a relatively quick task.

The removed motors were both somewhat "notchy" when turned slowly by hand - that may be due to their being 3 pole motors.

Turning the new motors slowly by hand they were smooth to rotate which was a good sign.
Some sites (e.g. by modelraildatabase and PetersSpares) suggest the K1 motors are 5-pole motors but, the Hornby website is silent on the number of poles for the Class K1 loco motor.

I  fitted the new Hornby K1  motors.
Needless to say both of my Hornby D16/3 locos now run a lot smoother at speeds below speed step 10.
In my case loco decoders are speed calibrated so a speed step / 3 = scale mph except express locos which use the formula: speed step / 2.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread with a question if I may, do people think a D16/3 would’ve sounded sufficiently similar to a rebuilt B12 to use the same DCC sound profile? Reason I ask is I have the Hornby TXS chip in my B12 and for the price I’m very pleased with the sound and would like to chip my D16 using the same profile too. I’m assuming they would’ve sounded pretty similar - both two inside cylinder machines of GER design. I’ve looked for a D16 archive recording online to compare but can’t find anything - thought I would reach out and see what others thought. Thanks in advance. 

• RMweb Premium

There are D16 recordings on one of the Peter Handford Argo Transacord albums, there is a Great Eastern one if I'm not mistaken.  I have it.....somewhere.....I think....not sure it has a B12 on it to compare, it is more D16 and J15's but I wouldn't have thought they would sound too dissimilar.

• Like 1