Hornby D16/3

Downer

The fiddling about on mine going very nicely. A new drawbar with holes at 11mm centres gives the overall length dimension over buffers suggested on the packet, which both looks right and still sails around the 30" minimum radius I require. (Cautionary note about the dimensions on the packet, three are wrong. The quoted 71m  loco wheelbase and 4m overall width one would need to be brain dead to miss, the coupled wheelbase dimensioned for 8' instead of the correct 9', perhaps potentially more misleading.)

Tons of space inside for fully concealed lead at the rear end, pretty close to a balance point in the centre of the coupled wheelbase now, with the bogie removed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A question. When the body has been removed from the loco' chassis, and it becomes time place it back on the chassis, will it fit correctly all the way down on the chassis so that there is no 'gap' between the lower part of the boiler and the top? Many thanks in advance. (Thinking of the J15 here).

With regards,

Rob.

When the body has been removed from the loco' chassis, and it becomes time place it back on the chassis, will it fit correctly all the way down on the chassis so that there is no 'gap' between the lower part of the boiler and the top? Many thanks in advance. (Thinking of the J15 here).

One of the first things I looked out, having fixed the 'step' in the J15 where the lower boiler element didn't quite go 'home' as supplied.

No such trouble on my example of the D16, a perfect fit, such that without direct light on the boiler underside the break line is practically invisible. Very neat indeed.

A question. When the body has been removed from the loco' chassis, and it becomes time place it back on the chassis, will it fit correctly all the way down on the chassis so that there is no 'gap' between the lower part of the boiler and the top? Many thanks in advance. (Thinking of the J15 here).

With regards,

Rob.

No problem whatsoever in this department on any of my 3 J15's

Has anyone fitted sound to their D16/3 yet?

Michael

Had mine fitted with a Zimo sound decoder within 45 minutes of it's arrival from Hornby on release day. No problems, although I did severely modify the interior space of the tender (my own personal choice - I usually do) in order to fit a big capacitor alongside the MX645 decoder.  This could be avoided with hard-wiring as the plug/socket invariably takes up a fair bit of space. Sounds great.

I unfortunately pre-ordered a weathered version and cant stand the weathering particularly on the loco wheels. Has anyone got any tips on how to tone it down a lot using brushes and arylics preferably? Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Nice , just picked up an Early Creat one from Modelzone Glasgow for £87.99. Have had a quick check. Nice runner . Struggles a bit with my Bachmann Thompsons but they have excessive friction and I'm sure will do a good job on my secondary passenger services. Great loco at Good price.

• RMweb Premium

Have you cut 'wheelarches' in the underside of the floor to clear the tops of the flanges?That's usually the trouble.

I was well impressed with this model's traction, even before it got a little more weight.

Thanks , hadn't realised that. Very happy with the D16

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My D16 has begun to stutter and stop at random places on my layout. The track is clean, all pickups are fine, the DCC chip is OK.

Dismantling the loco, the only untoward factor seems to be that two the driving wheels has become discoloured-like a yellowish sheen. I have tried to clean or remove it but it

seems that the metal itself has lost its original sheen though the wheels are not dirty as such. Would this affect conductivity? Has anyone else seen this problem? A fix would be appreciated

as I really dont want the loco to go back to Hornby, possibly to disappear in some 'service' dept. .

I am through the tyre plating and onto the underlying brass of most Hornby locos within six months of receipt, no noticeable effect on pick up efficiency or resultant poor running. The D16 is a 'rare bird' on my operation though, so little worn. I'd be looking for a broken solder joint or wire core, or momentary shorts, as top suspect for the symptoms described.

If there was an aspect of the D16 (and some other recent Hornby tender loco releases) that didn't impress in terms of likely reliability in the longer term, it was the way the wiring bundle between loco and tender looked vulnerable to eventually having the insulation cut through by a drawbar end, especially if set to the close coupled position. (So much so that I have made replacement short drawbars with carefully rounded ends for all of the K1, J15 and D16.) Don't want to distract you from systematic fault finding, but it might be worth a quick look at this location, with a strong light on the wires looking for any metallic glint.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that there is now a proper picture of CH on the Hornby Website.  Comments expected on the accuracy of the model vs the other D16/3 variants.  Note that the delivery date has gone out to September.

Not really proper...Still an edited picture.

r3433-d16-side.jpg

• Like 4

I'm sure I've seen a photo of Claud Hamilton with a white/cream cab roof in the late '30's. I could be wrong.

Regards,

Rob.

Possibly it was used for Royal Duties .

There is more information on the Claud Hamilton Locomotive Group's website. 

A Link for those who are interested

http://www.claudhamiltonlocomotivegroup.co.uk/#!aboutus/cjg9

Edited by The Blue Streak