Hornby D16/3

Downer

• RMweb Gold

I resolved the problem of overlong brake rodding by very carefully bending the front brake hangers - only needs a very slight twist with a small pair of flat nose pliers - easy!

Paul

That is what I did, except I used a pair of tweezers. Nearly broke one of the hangers though, for it was a devil to manipulate. It kept going back to where it was. Got the job done eventually!

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I've just seen the review in the new Model Rail. It was reckoned that the model, though good, doesn't have that "WOW!" factor. Must have been a review by someone of GW parentage I reckon.....

Stewart

Not so....the same gent took Bachmann to task over their Modified Hall.

Although not a 4mm modeller, the loco looks as if it can be easily modified to have the fancy valances. Perhaps some clever person will provide etchings for this? In my opinion the Clauds looked better with the valances than without. I have both varieties on my 7mm line. (The Hornby version knocks spots of my earlier 4mm efforts using a L1 chassis and a cut down B12 body.)  

You 4mm types are really lucky these days!

Martin Long

Hi.

I too was surprised at the tone of the review.  No it is not 100% perfect but it is at least 99%.  OK the footplate valance lining is not correct but looking at the space to put it on I am not surprised. My only comment is that the smoke box door rim should have been " burnished" as on one of the other versions.

Now Hornby; how about 62614 in apple green with early crest, or even better one with full slotted valances. That really would have wow factor!

Gilwell Park

I believe that the valance version involves more than just valences? (My references not at hand at the moment so I can't check). Ithink the rear splashers should be level with the cab side (new cab ?) and the front end (smokebox saddle area) has to be carefully chosen. Bit of a minefield here! Perhaps someone could confirm before I get chance to look it up please?

Stewart

Hi

Yes the rear splasher is incorporated into the cab front and the running plate has 2 humps over the wheel centres rather than being flat. All engines retaining the valances had slide valves so  frames in front of the smoke box should be concave.  I think the cab windows might be different but need to check the drawings.

Roger

OK the footplate valance lining is not correct but looking at the space to put it on I am not surprised.

The funny thing is that on going through numerous photos the lining does tend to be obscured in places.

It would seem that Hornby have tried to follow one or more of these photos rather than go for an as ex works state to the specification.

I don't think it looks right on a model, but nothing a bit of dirt cannot overcome.

The only problem in looking at a new model in a critical manner is that you then find faults in older models.

Just noticed the holes for Westinghouse fittings on the rear of the B17 tender so this has joined the list for rectification.

Bernard

• Like 1

But ANY Claud has a WOW! factor - it is GE section after all.

Stewart

Couldn't agree more. For years the GE has been largely ignored apart from the B12 but, now we have the D16, the J15 and the L1. I wonder if Hornby know that the national collection includes a J17 and a J69!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just seen the review in the new Model Rail. It was reckoned that the model, though good, doesn't have that "WOW!" factor. Must have been a review by someone of GW parentage I reckon.....

Stewart

To be honest I was a bit underwhelmed. I think the key omission is an impression of the inside frames - something that has become expected since the T9 and is noticeably present on the new King. The cab windows look like cheap plastic and the paint finish lacks depth. I'm not saying its a bad model and all of these things can be improved by those so inclined but I agree with MR - it does lack the wow factor.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just to say that the weathered example looks only slightly better than the weathered K1, having seen both side by side in the display case at Monk Bar Models, York, yesterday.

Interesting that the price should be the same as the lovely J15 as well - £104.99.

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest I was a bit underwhelmed. I think the key omission is an impression of the inside frames - something that has become expected since the T9 and is noticeably present on the new King. The cab windows look like cheap plastic and the paint finish lacks depth. I'm not saying its a bad model and all of these things can be improved by those so inclined but I agree with MR - it does lack the wow factor.

I'm hoping the highlighting of the inner smokebox ring will improve the appearance of my B.R.lined version......another challenge I've set Alex ( Lochnagar ).This is something Richard Foster noted and evidenced with a couple of appropriate photos in his M.R. review.Was that same metallic ring as evident in its appearance during LNER days ? Any photographic sources accessible?

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping the highlighting of the inner smokebox ring will improve the appearance of my B.R.lined version......another challenge I've set Alex ( Lochnagar ).This is something Richard Foster noted and evidenced with a couple of appropriate photos in his M.R. review.Was that same metallic ring as evident in its appearance during LNER days ? Any photographic sources accessible?

I was thinking about that.  The 'ring' on the smokebox door wasn't normally burnished in later days; perhaps it was normal in GER times but by LNER and certainly BR days it was only done for a 'spacial' working (e.g. Royal Train) or if a crew or depot took particular pride in their loco for some reason.  Just like the horizontal hinge straps on more conventional smokebox doors.  Having said that, the pictures of 62530 with the MR review do show the ring polished, and I was thinking of picking it out with some Humbrol Metalcote 'Polished Steel'.

In general, I think Hornby's toolmaking is very subtle, sometimes to the point of being 'understated' whereas other manufacturers sometimes look 'clunky'.  I was disappointed that the review didn't note the way they've captured the distinctive driving wheels with the spokes flared out to meet the raised centre bosses.

Hi. Just to say that the weathered example looks only slightly better than the weathered K1, having seen both side by side in the display case at Monk Bar Models, York, yesterday.

Interesting that the price should be the same as the lovely J15 as well - £104.99.

With regards,

Rob.

I wonder whether we met in Monk Bar Models, Rob!  I bought a Bachmann SR PMV there about 3.30pm yesterday.

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking about that.  The 'ring' on the smokebox door wasn't normally burnished in later days; perhaps it was normal in GER times but by LNER and certainly BR days it was only done for a 'spacial' working (e.g. Royal Train) or if a crew or depot took particular pride in their loco for some reason.  Just like the horizontal hinge straps on more conventional smokebox doors.  Having said that, the pictures of 62530 with the MR review do show the ring polished, and I was thinking of picking it out with some Humbrol Metalcote 'Polished Steel'.

In general, I think Hornby's toolmaking is very subtle, sometimes to the point of being 'understated' whereas other manufacturers sometimes look 'clunky'.  I was disappointed that the review didn't note the way they've captured the distinctive driving wheels with the spokes flared out to meet the raised centre bosses.

Thank you for that very useful and helpful response. I'll pass this on to Alex.

I wonder whether we met in Monk Bar Models, Rob!  I bought a Bachmann SR PMV there about 3.30pm yesterday.

• RMweb Premium

Further to that, I've just had a quick scan through 'Steam in East Anglia - a Colour Portfolio', which contains pictures taken in the 1950s and 60s.  Of 6 pictures in which the smokebox doors can clearly be seen, 2 show the ring polished and one of these is the 'Royal' loco 62614 in apple green with BR insignia (pre 1952 condition).  That'd be a nice repaint job for somebody!  The rest have black painted smokebox door rings.

...In general, I think Hornby's toolmaking is very subtle, sometimes to the point of being 'understated' whereas other manufacturers sometimes look 'clunky'...

Having just gone out this morning to acquire one from KS Models in Stevenage, I agree. Reviewers have biases and preferences of their own, it is always best to make your own mind up. For my money, the best looking OO RTR 4-4-0 available. It'll need a D20 or D34 to stand a chance of  toppling this one from the top of the 4-4-0 heap. In my opinion, YMMV.

Lots to modify on it too, I'll start the fiddling around later this evening with any luck

It runs so very sweetly too, very impressed, on which subject:

... the way they've captured the distinctive driving wheels with the spokes flared out to meet the raised centre bosses...

I think Hornby first offered this feature on the Castle, and it lends an extra touch of authentic character. On the 7' driver of the D16, with the rods slowly swinging around, all very lovely in motion. It's a rarity for my late fifties onwards, end of steam operation on the ECML, but I shall look forward to its appearances jogging along on a short freight or parcels/sundries working.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I was in about 3.00PM before going to the NRM.

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I was in about 3.00PM before going to the NRM.

With regards,

Rob.

Probably just missed you then; trust you enjoyed your trip to our capital city and its excellent model shop!

Cheers,

Steve