44767 (and other locos) motion

Well the loco is getting there slowly just a bit more work to be done then the tender to sort out. I have a rivited tender for it bit in the mean time it will have the plain one for a day or so

I have not done the jub yet courageous but that is next on my things to do

Here are some pics of 44767 as it stands one on the rolling road and others after weathering

post-12366-0-65075800-1390347051_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-02632000-1390347068_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-26093500-1390347080_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-04641400-1390347093_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The smokebox numbers are from the fox black 5 range Michael I don't know if they are still doing them I have had them for years

They are some brackets still need to be put on but I wanted to test the loco first I will be doing them soon.

If you look at the smokebox and the boiler you will see the difference in colour horsetan

Looking really great. Isn't it satisfying to sit and watch all that mechanism work. I have DCC in mine and it will crawl along really slowly.

Well done, not an easy model to do, in fact after 44767  you will find the next one boring!

Edited by philbax

Well it's been a while but 44767 had been put to one side while other things have been happening

I took 44767 to the club to test and ................. It ran faultless ( first for me ) lol

It pulled 8 Bachmann mk1 coaches with ease. I to have Dcc and in time I will put sound in but for the the time being a normal chip is ok

Just saw horsetans comment the answer is no I would never be able to do inside motion lol

But 44767 has a new tender with roller bearings and a rivited tender pics will come soon

Mark

....Just saw horsetans comment the answer is no I would never be able to do inside motion lol

You won't know 'til you try!

But 44767 has a new tender with roller bearings and a rivetted tender pics will come soon

I thought her tender was part-welded rather than "full rivet"?

• Like 1

Horestan is right it should be part welded.

Source wild swan pictorial supplement to loco profile No 6 in 1947 LMS livery with BR number

In the profile no 6 in the tender allocation details it is not identified as having anything other than a part-welded tender.

That does not mean it did not happen and really you need a photograph taken during the period that the model is set in

Philbax

The part-welded tender that 44767 is attached to in preservation is not her original one. That one was apparently cut up by Buttigieg's, which had bought a batch of withdrawn engines (including, as it happens, 44767) to be cut-up on site at Carlisle Kingmoor.

A similar roller-bearing tender was procured from 44950, and 44767 has been attached to it to this day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a while and 44767 is still awaiting finishing off ie the brackets and I need to sort the tender now rivits need to be removed lol

I am hoping it will be ready for our show (Heywood model railway group ) 16/17th march so I can run that with my comet black 5 and other oddball locos

Great to see this model: it's prompted me to make my first post!

I am plucking up courage to start my own model. It will be based on the Brassmasters loco and part welded tender kits but with the long wheel based Comet chassis, Gibson wheels and of course the Bill Bedford etch. I also have some Comet Ivatt tender detailing parts. To be completed in OO.  I have all the bits.

I am near the finish line with a DJH/Piercy O gauge B1 kit. If anyone is interested I'll post some pictures when it is done. After the marathon of building this model I will probably go for something small and quick(ish) - the Brassmasters Deeley 0F - before starting the Stephenson.

Edited by david.hill64
  • Like 1

I too used the brassmasters kit as a basis for mine but chose in the end to use the chassis that canme with the kit.

The extra length 4" equates to 1mm and I thought it not worth the extra effort.

The cab, firebox & boiler on the long wheelbase versions are moved back 4" and the smokebox increased in length by 4".

Also if you use the comet chassis then the Bill bedford rods will be too short (they are for the short wheelbase version) I presume that when he did the etch he assumed that most people would convert a RTR model to achieve the result.

Personally I think people would be hard put to see the difference in wheelbase legth unless there are two versions side by side and then it's only 1mm

the choice is yours of course and good luck whichever route you take.

over to you horse!

• Like 1

I too used the brassmasters kit as a basis for mine but chose in the end to use the chassis that canme with the kit.

The extra length 4" equates to 1mm and I thought it not worth the extra effort.

The cab, firebox & boiler on the long wheelbase versions are moved back 4" and the smokebox increased in length by 4".

Also if you use the comet chassis then the Bill bedford rods will be too short (they are for the short wheelbase version) I presume that when he did the etch he assumed that most people would convert a RTR model to achieve the result.

Personally I think people would be hard put to see the difference in wheelbase legth unless there are two versions side by side and then it's only 1mm

the choice is yours of course and good luck whichever route you take.

over to you horse!

I agree that it will be difficult to see the difference and it gives me a problem of what to do with the smokebox. I'll find a way!

Actually will need to check other dimensions too: is the running plate 4" longer if the cab etc are moved back?

The reson i used a rtr model is that it has a depth of detail i was going to ues the comet lwb kit and roll my own boiler but and use the gibbson wheels but I didnt want to spend loads of coinage to do the mod. Plus I  have about 10 black 5s (yes I can be classed as crazy :crazy: )  so I could loose one to do the mod on it.

The next move after 44767 is to do a caprotti high running plate verson to go with the comet low plate one but thats for a nother day

Mark

The reson i used a rtr model is that it has a depth of detail i was going to ues the comet lwb kit and roll my own boiler but and use the gibbson wheels but I didnt want to spend loads of coinage to do the mod. Plus I  have about 10 black 5s (yes I can be classed as crazy :crazy: )  so I could loose one to do the mod on it.

The next move after 44767 is to do a caprotti high running plate verson to go with the comet low plate one but thats for a nother day

Mark

Well you have a very good looking model and can be pleased with your efforts!

Santa was very generous this year and provided the bits for mine.

10 Black 5's seems entirely reasonable! I have three Comet Caprotti's (one of each variant) and the DJH kit to make yet. I fancy a couple of Brassmasters variants too.

44686/7 are also on the wish list. I know that there was a conversion kit available some years ago. Comet's website shows how someone has used their Caprotti kit as a base for the high running board version: it looks very good.

I am going to do one of them high running plate black 5's one day but I will use plasticard and a rtr black 5 I have a spair caprotti kit from comet I got years ago. Just need to find it first lol

but as for 44767 i just need to sort the motion out and tweek it a bit but more pics will come as progress moves on

....44686/7 are also on the wish list. I know that there was a conversion kit available some years ago. Comet's website shows how someone has used their Caprotti kit as a base for the high running board version: it looks very good.

Crownline. But try and find one these days.....

Sounds like something you might want to speak to Mike Edge (Judith Edge Kits) about, as he might be able to help with design of the etched parts.....