44767 (and other locos) motion

Cracking job, until you do it yourself no one has any idea how difficult and fiddly this valve gear is to get it working well. You have done a good job mate.

Will you keep the single chimney? It was originally fitted with a double chimney but not for all that long.

hi Phil just a quick reply on a subject you touched on earlier. 44767 now complete and doing all I require of her....if only marriage was so easy...I digress....bought second hand Hornby LWB class five...really cheap thought I might need chassis. It's been languishing in its box whilst I've added lead weight to 44767. I tried the Hornby with the test train44767 now handles....not as much traction as my comet chassis.

Liquid lead added to Hornby...now the equal....then as luck would have it saw a picture of sister loco 44766..,,this beast kept its double chimney all its life. I had a spare double chimney from a comet Caprotti kit....hey presto another class 5 variant joins the ranks....

Hi Brian hope all is well. I have a few black 5s what have been modified and most have Dcc sound in them.

But cracking job on yours. I have had a few projects to do like a golden Arow clan and to get my layout bucks lane ready for mrx in May.

I have been a tad busy recently due to getting ready for a new stage in my life. My partner Lisa and I are going to have a baby due in sept

post-12366-0-07207200-1427182258_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Mark sincere congratulations to Lisa and you.....I have two boys...now grown men.....ok ...not boys anymore....children only make sense if you realise they are your parents revenge on you! Both my offspring gave no interest in my hobby...my two year old granddaughter....that's a statement that I still find hard to comprehend...anyway she loves gramps trains..a little too much.....must get her interested in horses ifs only to spare my stock. Lined up three if my fives in my goods yard earlier...44687.. 44766 ....44767.....and still more variants sit on my shelves....anyway shades of British rail Marylebone exhibition of yesteryear..beginning to wonder if I am only ever going to model black fives....got a Mike edge princess chassis..LNWR coal tank ...numerous deisels. Mark returning to your good news, enjoy ....Although I must admit when I first saw your photo my first thought was Mark mmust use more lighting when photoingi his models...then I realised it is something more precious....

• Like 1

Just a photo of two sisters 767 and 766... The former has been shown before...the latter...less exciting pedigree, Hornby bought for chassis....not needed now with new double chimney.

The mess and chaos of my work area is self explanatory......post-23587-0-88771300-1427810781.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I not posted much on here for a while due to work and other things. But I have have had chance to modify a black 5 the Hornby models have a poor front end there is no space on the bottom of the smoke box. I have copied Tim Eastern and Jason modification to remove part of the shelf on the black 5. Here is a pic of the finished one. Only 27 more to do hope you like the pic

Mark

post-12366-0-21301600-1431208873_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-16788200-1431208881_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi mark hope you are all well..life in the form of eldest sons wedding has had an impact on my own modelling output. I have howver been working on a ks kits LNWR coal tank...this beast was in the bargain section of my local model shop. Kit builds are normally put into a different more select display. What ask I? Non runner...I can fix that says I let me take it home...bring it back running and then can be placed in a better environment worthy of its nicely built body.

Oh dear one calamity has befallen another...whole new wheel set...motor gearbox...and last week chassis....today runs around my worst circuit...derailments none....then reverse gear...sounds I'd binding..then gears not engaging...fault..little screws holding motor to gearbox ..worked loose...this is a truly jinxed loco...update soon if my sanity remains intact...off for the simplicity of valve gear again..

Mark as ever very best wishes to you and loved ones brian

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a busy time for me with work new baby on way and other things but I have done some more smokebox saddle mod's. I'm going to do the whole of my fleet so I will be putting pics on here as they are done. Hope to do some step by step pics aswell so if anyone wants to follow it they can.

Mark

post-12366-0-12374000-1432105129_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-71326200-1432105144_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-73966000-1432105167_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-51251500-1432105181_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-66170500-1432105222_thumb.jpg

Edited by mark axlecounter
  • Like 7

Mark hope you are all well, nice work as ever on class fives...I will if I may share two photos..the first is the GBL scot....all I have done at present is to remove extra wide cab bearing..re number and re line cab and boiler...Matt varnish...and light weather...second the so and so that is a ks LNWR coal tank...an unforeseen purchase from local model shop...anyway new chassis....body reassembled....was going to resell back as it dosnt fit in with my midland division layout...then again neither does 60700 and 60113....yes they do start with numbers other than a 4 or 5 .....anyway grown fond of it...pulls a rake of parcels stock ..also of. Mixed heritage. Best wishes brianpost-23587-0-93991500-1432161540.jpg

post-23587-0-39618300-1432161559.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to add further but just reflecting ..the coal tank has a a comet collet 060 chassis...same wheelbase but spring detail removed to allow smaller wheels...the gearbox is single stage mashima motor ...Romford gears and mrarkits gear box....this is the first single stage I have completed which I am happy with...in some 30 years of chassis building. I have relied previously on the tolerances in such as portrscap ...and two stage designs...to compensate for some of my poor chassis construction....never too old to learn, cutting corners will always catch you out...anyway the coal tank is a lovely little runner now...both in forwards and reverse gears...even over some of my poorly laid track...another story....

Brian

• Like 2