44767 (and other locos) motion

Hi Brian it sounds like you have had fun with that coal tank. I built one years ago and someone wanted it so I sold it him.

Well just done another 5 black 5s today. The rest are going to be sold as farren says I can't run that many black5s on bucks lane. I need to reduce some other class to I have 6 wd 2-8-0 5 9fs so yea I need to sell some soon.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Been reading this thread with great interest as i too have plumped for the bill bedford stephensons lonk motion kit and acquired the latest Hornby 5mt to convert, my loco is the long wheelbase and the riveted tender which has had timken axle box covers added and the body has had the electric lights and comet chimney etc added (easiest jobs first)

One query i have is the electric lights i know that 44767 was built with them and i have duely added them (from a gbl a2) but im not quite sure when the loco had them removed in service, i have a shot of the loco in the late 50's and they aren't there....i might just leave them on anyway but would be handy to know when they were removed.

Gary

• Like 1

....One query i have is the electric lights i know that 44767 was built with them and i have duly added them (from a gbl a2) but im not quite sure when the loco had them removed in service, i have a shot of the loco in the late 50's and they aren't there....i might just leave them on anyway but would be handy to know when they were removed.

The lighting system and turbo-generator has been restored to 44767 in preservation (possibly late '80s/early '90s; she definitely didn't have them in the in the mid-'80s), and she still has it fitted.

• RMweb Premium

The lighting system and turbo-generator has been restored to 44767 in preservation (possibly late '80s/early '90s; she definitely didn't have them in the in the mid-'80s), and she still has it fitted.

Lights removed early 1950s according to Locomotives in Detail by Jennison and Clarke. 

August 1984 view on flickr shows it with generator but no lights  (EDIT: though with mounting brackets present, unlike in BR days when everything was removed), while June 1985 view shows it with generator and top light only (brackets for lower lights present as before). 

Edited by Daddyman

Lights removed early 1950s according to Locomotives in Detail by Jennison and Clarke. 

August 1984 view on flickr shows it with generator but no lights  (EDIT: though with mounting brackets present, unlike in BR days when everything was removed), while June 1985 view shows it with generator and top light only (brackets for lower lights present as before).

Aye i noticed that they have been refitted, i was planning to do the loco circa late 50's- early 60's but the lights were removed, i think ill use the well known modellers license here and leave them in place, its the generator itself im looking for at the moment, i have a generator taken from an a2 but it isnt the same shape, i suppose I could live with it but it aint right. I could possibly have a go at making one from plasticard scraps - will see.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Aye i noticed that they have been refitted, i was planning to do the loco circa late 50's- early 60's but the lights were removed, i think ill use the well known modellers license here and leave them in place, its the generator itself im looking for at the moment, i have a generator taken from an a2 but it isnt the same shape, i suppose I could live with it but it aint right. I could possibly have a go at making one from plasticard scraps - will see.

Gary

I don't know what shape the generator on the Bachmann A2 is, but looking at the photo of 44767 in preservation in the Black 5s book (p.53) that I mentioned above, and comparing that with the close-up of a B1 in Hucknall's Twilight of Scottish Steam (which contains many such useful close-ups) I can see absolutely no difference. 

The Black 5 book also has close-up photos of both sides of 44767's motion, and a drawing of one side of the loco. Well worth investing in for anyone contemplating modelling this, I'd say. 

I don't know what shape the generator on the Bachmann A2 is, but looking at the photo of 44767 in preservation in the Black 5s book (p.53) that I mentioned above, and comparing that with the close-up of a B1 in Hucknall's Twilight of Scottish Steam (which contains many such useful close-ups) I can see absolutely no difference.

The Black 5 book also has close-up photos of both sides of 44767's motion, and a drawing of one side of the loco. Well worth investing in for anyone contemplating modelling this, I'd say.

Which book is it with the pictures you mentioned.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I looked into the generator and found that the b1 locos had the same as 44767. Ivan is right with the picture and some one dose a white metal version of it. I think it's mainly trains but I might be wrong it rings a bell.

As for the motion take your time and make notes as you do one side. I ended up getting 2 etches because they are so delicate and you will lose or break some ( I did it )

Mark

• 1 year later...

Hi John,

I didn't know until Jason T of this parish told me then I had to do the whole of my black 5s (21 last count).

The modification was ok to do just drill holes as close as possible to one another then use a knife to shave the remaining plastic off. You might have to trim the chassis down.

I have just done a self weighing tender for a black 5 and I had to sort the saddle on that one to.

I'm at the club tonight so I will try and get some pics of the chassis.

I have put these pics on my layout thread but they should be on here.

Self wighing tender and the modified black five ( front smokebox saddle)

The smokebox mod is cool!

I've got a Hornby Black5 on my table now. Thts ging to be the first one done!

Is the tender a scratch bory on a Hornby underframe?

Chris.