What's in these wooden crates ?

I've just come across this old resin model of a pile of goods crates/sacks etc. which needs painting to bring it to life.

Before I start I thought it would help me if I knew what was in the large crates with the "open" tops and sides. Are they likely to be filled with vegetable produce?

Picture attached and suggestions welcome. TIA.

post-9751-0-88218700-1387900211_thumb.jpg

My family owned a Wholesale Fruit and Vegetable Company up to the early eighties - I don't recall seeing  boxes like that. Maybe they were for stuff like ###### and the like? The company only handled stuff from Kent.

The ridiculous auto censor can't handle the name of fruits that are quite large and contain flesh that is a pinky/orange or green in colour!

A lot of large bulky vegetables were actually transported in large multi-layered "paper" bags.

Best, Pete.

The ridiculous auto censor can't handle the name of fruits that are quite large and contain flesh that is a pinky/orange or green in colour!

Best, Pete.

You have to work round the censor. Are you per chance referring to Cucurbitaceae? In which case, would it be Benincasa, Citrullus, Cucumis or Momordica? ;)

Archived