The Last Days of Scottish Steam

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I received a copy of this book, which has nearly 200 colour pictures from the 50s and the 60s taken by Bill Reed.

My wife saw this in Tesco, and thought it was easily worth the £3 it was for sale at. Easily worth that I thought - the list price is £17.99.

Found it in a Tesco in Edinburgh but no indication of it being reduced to £3?  (Was in a cardboard display unit for "local books", or something similar).   Did also see it last night in an Asda for £11.50 - price sticker on front (the Straiton branch).  Seems a decent book, but would prefer to get it at £3 if possible!  This is the book I saw:

http://www.bookworldws.co.uk/last-days-scottish-steam-p-5960.html

• RMweb Gold

I bought it for about £12 from Amazon - I certainly enjoyed it. The format is a little annoying because the pictures are often cropped a little too much in favour of (rather technical) captions and white paper but there are lots of details and I enjoyed it, will use it for reference and leafing through regularly, and as such thought it was good value. At 12 quid well worth it, so for 3, well wish I'd seen it!

• RMweb Premium

I bought it a while ago out of WH Smith at the full £17.99 at a weak moment! The book is ok and does show many indigenous Scottish Designs (maybe I should send mine to Dennis Lovett to give him a hint!)however, I got a little fed up with just loco or shed views. It really is just all about the locos and not for those that like to see the wider railway scene. I received George O'Haras new book on Scottish Steam for £25.I've just finished browsing the 700odd pictures and now going back for re read! Far superior book.However if you can pick up "Last days of Scottish Steam" for £3 it's certainly worth it!

26power, on 03 Jan 2014 - 12:51, said:

Found it in a Tesco in Edinburgh but no indication of it being reduced to £3?  (Was in a cardboard display unit for "local books", or something similar).   Did also see it last night in an Asda for £11.50 - price sticker on front (the Straiton branch).  Seems a decent book, but would prefer to get it at £3 if possible!  This is the book I saw:

http://www.bookworldws.co.uk/last-days-scottish-steam-p-5960.html

Yes, that's it. £3 in main Aberdeen Tesco on Hogmanay.   If I have a criticism, it's the complete lack of dates in captions.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I agree that including only shed shots gets boring and could be of limited value, but at £3 it is worth it.

If it is not priced correctly, you can always take it to customer services to check it.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I agree that including only shed shots gets boring and could be of limited value, but at £3 it is worth it.

If it is not priced correctly, you can always take it to customer services to check it.

If a book is called "Last Days of Scottish Steam", it seems reasonable enough that it only shows locos ather than the wider railway scene.

I wish my local branch of Tesco sold railway books at reasonable prices. Would make shopping trips far more palatable.

I noticed the book in my nearest Tesco Extra (Dunfermline Dulloch) but it wasn't priced so I just flicked through it, liked it, but never picked it up, as it wasn't priced.

I'll have to go back and see what it's priced at. I've long suspected their price stickers are done by a random number generator!

Angus

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Tesco Dulloch (Dunfermline) had it at 75p today, picked one up, three left 2 hours ago......

Like I said before, their prices are done by a random number generator!

I peeled of the bar code on the back and it does say £17.99 underneath.

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

Back up  in Edinburgh for weekend and looked in at Corstorphine Tesco.  Copies seen before still there and still at original price, or not indicated as reduced anyway.  Thought i would get price checked at customer service desk just in case and see if they were actually 3 pound, or even 75p.  Actually  a penny!  So took both copies they had, one for self and one for club.  Bonkers, but not complaining!

• 6 months later...

Archived