Fishplates for code 75 bullhead rail

davefrk

I'm doing the fiddleyard track and I'm going to be needing more fishplates or more correctly rail joiners. I bought some years ago and these held code 75 bullhead rail perfectly in line and allowed expansion where needed. They weren't Peco, but IIRC some foreign make. The scenic areas of Wharfeside have proper etched fishplates but I need something easier,quicker and stronger for the yard.

So, I just wondered what other people are using?

Dave Franks

Peco N gauge rail joiners work quite well on code 75 bullhead rail.

Hi Martin, I tried Peco N fishplates some time ago and found that they did grip the web okay but not the foot of the rail allowing the rails to mis-align in height. The ones I have are made from a springy material and the sides curve right in on themselves and down onto the top of the foot therefore holding the rail well in alignment in all directions.

All the best,

Dave Franks

Dave

I use the Exactoscale plastic fishplates. They are quite fragile but once the track is held in position (tacks glue etc) all is fine. Metal ones are also available.

Minitrix rail joiners are also very good

Hi John, I have some old minitrix ones which I can use but are they still available?

I've used the plastic ones on the scenic sections where section breaks are required but otherwise I've used etched ones for track alignment.

All the best,

Dave Franks

Dave,

Peco manufacture "OO" code 75 fishplates.

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi Gordon, maybe you misunderstood, it's for code 75 'bullhead' rail so one usually uses N gauge fishplates. PECO OO 75 fishplates are for flatbottom track and are too slack a fit.

Thanks,

Dave.

Be careful with SMP fishplates.  I use them extensively on ET and in my experience they are the best available.  Something you ought to know though.  SMP was taken over by Marcway and whilst they sell SMP track, they did not take the fishplates offered by SMP, but used their own variant.  In my opinion these aren't a patch on the original SMP ones.  These are still available from the company who originally marketed SMP and listed here.

http://www.craftsmanmodels.co.uk/cat.pdf

The part number is SFP1 and they can be found listed towards the back of the catalogue.  Page 10/11 or 12.

Hi Gordon, that's the ones. I only have a few left and as they do hold code 75 bullhead rail very well I'll need to be ordering a load more for the whole fiddleyard. For  information - I've used them on SMP original code 75 rail, Marcway SMP, C&L and odd offcuts from way back and these fishplates grip and align the rail well. On the scenic side I've used EMGS or C&L etched fishplates soldered to one rail end so as to allow some movement for expansion.

Thanks,

Dave.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I use micro engineering rail joiners.  http://www.handlaidtrack.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=26-083

I model in P4, and these are really the best I have used.  Somewhat expensive, even over here in Canada.

John Fitton

Looks like a superb range, and that's just the fishplates, so thanks for that link.

I would imagine that Kermit might be a bit worried about the 'Frog Juicer' reference on their site, though!

I've hitherto used Peco 'N' gauge fishplates, cut in half and then crimped with pliers around the profile of the bullhead rail. The whole joint was then soldered up and has lasted well. Expansion is catered for by electrical gapping, where I now use plastic Exactoscale fishplates to disguise the gap.

The process of messing around with the Peco fishplates is tiresome, though, so I might give these a go next time.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The SFP1 fishplates are no longer available, and they have no intention of getting more!

I've been advised that roco or fleischmann n-gauge fishplates work ok. Any ideas about insulating joiners?

What a real pity i need a lot more, seem silly to stop making these, where can i get code 75 BH rail joiners from now?.

Archived