RMweb

Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know whether or not the Crosti will come complete with fitted brake gear as in the case of the P2 ???

Not as far as I can tell, unless they have done a last minute retool of the chassis lower moulding. It's branded as Railroad only, rather than having a RR and full fat version like the P2, so I don't think this will happen IMHO. All the photos I have seen show unbraked wheels

Edited by RedgateModels

• 2 months later...

Nice article in the May/June issue of Steam Railway Mag entitled Alien Spaceships..

Not much txt in the article, but about 10 or so lovely photos, not seen any of them before.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Not as far as I can tell, unless they have done a last minute retool of the chassis lower moulding. It's branded as Railroad only, rather than having a RR and full fat version like the P2, so I don't think this will happen IMHO. All the photos I have seen show unbraked wheels

I'm pretty sure that their is a new chassis along with the model.

Indeed the chassis being used on the Franco-Crosti 9F and the 9F (R3273, R3274 & R3288) is indeed a newly tooled one as confirmed by Hornby.

In that case Gents, it looks as though we may have a new chassis complete with brake blocks and separately fitted rigging as per Railroad P2 !!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Sadly it looks as though the front steps are still part of the pony truck though.

It IS a Railroad model and, as such, the robust existing arrangement is more satisfactory for the target market than fragile plastic steps dangling from the front corners of the loco. 

For those wanting to improve any Hornby 9F, it's not a major task to saw them off and Comet LS35 etched steps are easy to make up. They have long been my solution when the inevitable happens to plastic BR steps on other models!  

John

• RMweb Gold

Indeed the chassis being used on the Franco-Crosti 9F and the 9F (R3273, R3274 & R3288) is indeed a newly tooled one as confirmed by Hornby.

New chassis, yes, new chassis lower/keeper plate, debatable. Until the actual model is released we will not know. But my money is on existing lower and bogie, so no brakes and so separate footsteps :( 

• RMweb Gold

Oh no dose that mean we might have to do some modelling than to fit break gear.

On a more serious note if we don't get break gear fitted is it such a big deal? I mean we are going to end up with far better model then most of us can build our self's of a class most of us never thought would end up being produced by Hornby. I look forward to my two turning up next month HOPEFULLY

Well the Halls in the railroad range didn't even come with brake rods to fit so possibly not. However they did come with a spare vacuum brake pipe for whatever reason.

On my RR Hall, Olton Hall, the loco chassis did have brake gear fitted and yes you are correct, no brake rodding. This however was easily remedied by purchasing the main range accessory pack from Peters Spares.  Despite this being a RR model, even the Scotsman in this range has these features. I would be very suprised if Hornby release this loco without this level of detail, they have otherwise gone to a lot of trouble fitting both sprung buffers and a 5 pole motor which doesn't add up. 

Perhaps this is why production of this loco has been delayed ????? 

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no does that mean we might have to do some modelling than to fit brake gear...

It's 'some modelling' alright if you can fit good looking and robust brake gear to a 4mm 9F yourself. Been there, got that sweat soaked T shirt, and the end result not as tidy as the Bachmann. If you can do it successfully, then you are qualified to build most kits, so you won't need RTR anyway...

Whatever, the first - and much simpler - jobs, are to bring the cylinder blocks inboard for scale width and add representations of the ashpan chutes and doors. If Hornby persist with the old tender with the overlength front frames, shortening this to scale makes a good improvement too, for a quick half hour of cutting and cementing.

It didnt mention a date, but if the drummonds are anything to go by, it was about 30 days prior that they emailed saying they were due soon.

Same email mentions a red jinty, yellow hst, 50024 and a grey class 91, 2 versions of Crosti 9f.

Knowing my luck then it will turn up when I'm on holiday for a week up North in a few weeks time  :jester:

Knowing my luck then it will turn up when I'm on holiday for a week up North in a few weeks time  :jester:

Callum, you might not be waiting too long,Hornby website now shows anticipated delivery as 1/07/15. In due course (holidays permitting) I look forward to a full review by yourself.

Callum, you might not be waiting too long,Hornby website now shows anticipated delivery as 1/07/15. In due course (holidays permitting) I look forward to a full review by yourself.

Fingers crossed! This is the one I really have been looking forward to... :locomotive:Though I notice the BR Early Version is now listed as 01/01/2015? :jester:

Edited by SDJR7F88

New top view and box art on the Hornby web pages for the models. Seems the model will be in the premium style paging, rather than the a RailRoad box! Which is great! :locomotive:

Though not sure what to think of the new due dates :jester:

R3273 BR Early

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/railroad-br-2-10-0-franco-crosti-boiler-9f-class-early-br.html

05/11/2010

R3274 BR Late

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/railroad-br-2-10-0-franco-crosti-boiler-9f-class-late-br.html

02/12/00-1

Well you never know ... :jester:

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

New top view and box art on the Hornby web pages for the models. Seems the model will be in the premium style paging, rather than the a RailRoad box! Which is great! :locomotive:

Though not sure what to think of the new due dates :jester:

R3273 BR Early

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/railroad-br-2-10-0-franco-crosti-boiler-9f-class-early-br.html

05/11/2010

R3274 BR Late

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/railroad-br-2-10-0-franco-crosti-boiler-9f-class-late-br.html

02/12/00-1

Well you never know ... :jester:

Sounds to me like Hornby are employing a Timelord... :jester:  :jester: