Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

• RMweb Premium

This model is superb, I can even put up with the old railroad type leading bogie which Hornby aren't obviously going to change as it appears to be a late pre-production variant. But please lets have the NEM couplings rather than the hideous old style type as promised. Can anyone please confirm that it will still be powered by a 5 pole motor as previously stated/advertised ???

Thank you again Andy for the piccies....... :thankyou:

Cut the front steps off the bogie, fit new steps, remove the extra handrail, plus possible renumber. That's not a lot of work to improve it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had an update from Hattons now expected between April and June, beginning to loose interest now, any further delays and I will cancel my pre order.

Just had an update from Hattons now expected between April and June, beginning to loose interest now, any further delays and I will cancel my pre order.

If you lose interest after delays.......then you wont be getting many more locos in future.

C'mon man..!!!! Where's your staying power.!!!!!  Man up...!!!! :jester:

You wanna try 10203 from Kernow.....you may lose the will to live on that one.

Edited by 250BOB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you lose interest after delays.......then you wont be getting many more locos in future.

C'mon man..!!!! Where's your staying power.!!!!!  Man up...!!!! :jester:

You wanna try 10203 from Kernow.....you may lose the will to live on that one.

Do you recall that the Pharaos had their treasures entombed with them.....think of it as an investment for the hereafter.

On the other side of the coin, the K1 appeared out of the blue, so the TTS P2.

Delivery dates are not at all predictable as most manufacturers admit.

It will arrive when it arrives....

• RMweb Gold

Look at it this way, even if you were to commission someone like me to build a Golden Arrow full Crosti you would probably have to wait a couple of months and it would cost about 3 times as much. A rebuilt version on the other hand is not going to be available RTR .........

post-6717-0-56484000-1420391355_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

No, the crosti body (including boiler) is all new tooling.

And fingers crossed, not too much longer to wait before both versions are released. I was told the Crosti's were being run on the Hornby layout at last weekends exhibition in Scotland. Does anyone have any photo's or video footage ???

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

Just to be clear, Hornby are not producing a rebuilt version (post 1962) They are producing an "as built" without side smoke deflector with early crest and a version with the side deflector and a late logo. Both have the preheater and side chimney.

Keep an eye out for April's BRM if you want to see how to make a rebuilt version.

post-6717-0-91111700-1424855739_thumb.jpg

The loco featured is also for sale :)

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2

Just to be clear, Hornby are not producing a rebuilt version (post 1962) They are producing an "as built" without side smoke deflector with early crest and a version with the side deflector and a late logo. Both have the preheater and side chimney.

Keep an eye out for April's BRM if you want to see how to make a rebuilt version. The loco featured is also for sale :)

Can we look forward to an early review of this loco in BRM if they are producing an article on conversion to the later version ???

• RMweb Gold

No doubt there will be a review of the Hornby Crosti as soon as it hits the BRM office, I have already given Ben some pointers on what to check ;) 

The rebuilt version is not a conversion of the Hornby Crosti - the loco featured is a Golden Arrow resin kit on a Bachmann 9F chassis

• RMweb Gold

And fingers crossed, not too much longer to wait before both versions are released. I was told the Crosti's were being run on the Hornby layout at last weekends exhibition in Scotland. Does anyone have any photo's or video footage ???

Post 63 in the Model Rail Scotland thread.

Must say it does look superb on the test track from that picture in the Model Rail Scotland topic! :locomotive:  Seem they had paired up the Early running version with the late versions tender (92027 without Deflector). I wonder how smooth it ran? Does make me wonder why it won't be available until May, which is when 4 of my other pre-orders are also due :help:

A Crownline kit built 30 years ago with the help of an old Hornby Evening Star, now running on a recent Hornby Railroad Evening Star chassis.

post-7336-0-85267600-1424882394.jpg

It's a pity if Hornby wont make the rebuilt version, I'd lay a bet, and say it would sell better than the original, happy memories, saw all 10 at Cricklewood shed, at separate times, off Toton to Brent coal trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A Crownline kit built 30 years ago with the help of an old Hornby Evening Star, now running on a recent Hornby Railroad Evening Star chassis.

attachicon.gifCrosti 9F.jpg

It's a pity if Hornby wont make the rebuilt version, I'd lay a bet, and say it would sell better than the original, happy memories, saw all 10 at Cricklewood shed, at separate times, off Toton to Brent coal trains.

I would have thought the rebuilt version would be by far the better seller - although for folk modelling engine sheds I s'pose an original would be nice to have handy to fill a siding (BTW I only saw 9 of them - after rebuild of course - and no doubt all in the vicinity of Cricklewood)