Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

I came across a few Crosti 9Fconversion parts (Crownline I think) in a box of bits at a toy fair last year. A lot of head scratching and many mistakes later a much modified Bachmann 9f has emerged from the workbench as a workworn 92021. I'm glad I finally managed to finish it before the Hornby version arrives.

post-6389-0-77003700-1425243006_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-58560600-1425243025_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know how the two boilers worked on the crosti. was there two fire doors? Or was it more a frie draft door that was opened shut to make them work separately and dose anyone have a photo of the cab. I have had a quick look through the topic and dow think I missed the tthe answer to my question.

There weren't two separate boilers. There was an essentially conventional boiler with a single firebox, the exhaust from the cylinders, which contained considerable heat energy, was diverted back through the under slung, secondary, pre-heat boiler, where it heated the feed water for the main boiler. The exhaust finally exited through a chimney half way back along the boiler on the right hand side. It was an attempt to improve the overall efficiency of the steam locomotive.

More info and diagram here;

http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/francocrosti/francocrosti.htm

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Arthur. ill have a read of the link in the morning. Almost a turbo charger

But regrettably hardly with a similar effect.  the idea, and theoretical savings, turned out quite well when applied to superannuated Italian engines but when applied to a relatively economical modern design such as the 9F it simply didn't cut the financial mustard - hence its short life on the 9Fs ) which was also not helped by major corrosion problems.

There weren't two separate boilers. There was an essentially conventional boiler with a single firebox, the exhaust from the cylinders, which contained considerable heat energy, was diverted back through the under slung, secondary, pre-heat boiler, where it heated the feed water for the main boiler. The exhaust finally exited through a chimney half way back along the boiler on the right hand side. It was an attempt to improve the overall efficiency of the steam locomotive.

More info and diagram here;

http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/francocrosti/francocrosti.htm

With respect Arthur, that's not what the description says. The combustion gases passed through the main boiler and were then diverted to the pre-heater below to go back almost to the firebox before being discharged through the side-mounted 'chimney'. The exhaust from the cylinders was diverted to the side 'chimney' to create the draught to draw the combustion gases through both the main boiler and the pre-heater. More of a heat exchanger than a turbo charger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hmmmm

It's not clear from the photo but have they lost the superfluous handrail to the left of the chimney?

I'd still like to see evidence of '27 with late logo......

I believe we've we've been here before but I continue to doubt if any of them acquired the second emblem while they were still running with the preheater boiler and side exhaust.

• RMweb Gold

I believe we've we've been here before but I continue to doubt if any of them acquired the second emblem while they were still running with the preheater boiler and side exhaust.

The only example that I have photos of with late logo in full Crosti form is '021. The photo shows it in store awaiting conversion, but must have run with the late logo on the tender, even if it was for a very short time ;)