Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

Pardon my ignorance but what was " the Exeter situation " ?

Sounds a bit like "The Spanish Inquisition " off Monty Python, I can hear the music playing as I read the words " The Exeter situation ".

Interested to learn!

Late last year, Hornby issued a model of the West Country Pacific "Exeter", which was keenly anticipated.  However, it turned out that relatively few models had been produced

( see posts in the Exeter thread:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92855-Hornby-exeter/) and things boiled over when examples appeared on a famed auction site, offered at vastly increased prices.

The inference is that the vendor is trying to whip up some excitement over the Crosti 9F model to justify his asking price.

The only other "Exeter situation" I can recall occurred off the mouth of the River Plate in 1939..... 

I'm off to play trains.......   :senile:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice if Hornby were to make the later conventional running version, as well as lasting a little longer as such they were also a little more widespread. :sungum:

I refer my learned friend to my article in BRM April 2015 ;)

post-6717-0-07613500-1439984178_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice if Hornby were to make the later conventional running version, as well as lasting a little longer as such they were also a little more widespread. :sungum:

What's wrong with Wellingborough 15A? :D

A good friend of mine was a passed fireman at 15A and remembers these well. Lined up at the back of the shed awaiting conversion. Apparently they became Christmas trees being used for spares. 

Here's a shot by Ken Fairey a Wellingborough photographer who's father was a driver at 15A.  It shows the Crosti's in store:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/8246946106/in/album-72157630560555614/

Worth a look through the other photos as well if you've a few spare minutes.

The model does look good though. I think there's room for other options in the future no doubt.

Cheers,

Mark

I refer my learned friend to my article in BRM April 2015 ;)

attachicon.gifP1010435_crop.jpg

I must apologise, as I only read the MRJ these days, that one passed me by, the gist of which is ???

(see post #16)

What's wrong with Wellingborough 15A? :D

Worth a look through the other photos as well if you've a few spare minutes.

Nothing wrong with Wellingborough, but if the prototype covers a bigger area, the better chance of a model version selling perhaps.

Yes, that link to the photos is interesting.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with Wellingborough, but if the prototype covers a bigger area, the better chance of a model version selling perhaps.

Yes, that link to the photos is interesting.

Totally agree with you there. ;)

Ken Fairey's photos are wonderful and capture not only Northamptonshire railways.  Looking at the picture of the Crosti's the one on the right has its pony truck missing.

...Seriously though, I really want to support local Aussie business,  but how can you with this sort of Piracy and overpricing. He's not at orphan when it comes to serious price mark up's in Oz either. No wonder we Antipodeans are turning to British shops and their excellent mail order business' in our droves.

The only UK located person I have spoken to recently about his modelling of Australian railways, is of course doing the self same thing; buying direct from Australian mail order retailers. Every online retailer is a local shop now. Just need that information to generally seep into everyone's consciousness, and we'll be closer to the economist's 'perfect market'. (Or whatever they call it now, very OOD with economic theory.)

• RMweb Gold

Just arrived by Interlink. Pre-ordered on a whim from Hornby website (with club discount) on Monday and despatched by Hornby yesterday:

post-586-0-95950800-1440075393.jpg

Other things to do this afternoon but test-running and fitting dcc decoder later today. Looking at the service sheet the decoder goes over the front bogie.

Keith

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just arrived by Interlink. Pre-ordered on a whim from Hornby website (with club discount) on Monday and despatched by Hornby yesterday:

HornbyCrosti-01.jpg

Other things to do this afternoon but test-running and fitting dcc decoder later today. Looking at the service sheet the decoder goes over the front bogie.

Keith

Good looker you got there Keith. Since the decoder goes over the pony truck, that must mean there is a hell of a lot of weight in those double boilers!

attachicon.gifHornbyCrosti-01.jpg

Keith

What a beauty... I really want one.

attachicon.gifHornbyCrosti-01.jpg

Keith

Any chance of pics of the other side? (please)

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Stewart,

Picture of other side of the loco:

post-586-0-43463100-1440102964.jpg

Picture of the insides prior to fitting of the decoder. Managed to fit a TCS DP2X-UK. Bit fiddly but finally made it:

post-586-0-57821000-1440103082.jpg

Loco runs very sweetly but still being run-in. Will add some wagons tomorrow and see what it can haul.

For those interested the code on the little white sticker is:

CHL01-P91503

R3273-27-078

Now looking forward to collecting the late version on my next visit to my (relatively) local hobbyshop. Just hope I can lay my hands on another DP2X-UK. Think I have a couple somewhere..

Keith

Edited by tetsudofan
  • Like 6

I don't know the situation with other model shops, but there is no sign of our sizeable order for the Crosti's, yet.

Not had ours either. Got several customers with them on pre-order emailing and ringing to see if they have arrived. 

Anyone suspect another Exeter saga just round the corner.?????

I have one on pre order, and are a little disappointed that Hornby see fit to start selling the item themselves, but not shipping to their major retailers at the same time.

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

Stewart,

Picture of other side of the loco:

attachicon.gifHornbyCrosti-02.jpg

Picture of the insides prior to fitting of the decoder. Managed to fit a TCS DP2X-UK. Bit fiddly but finally made it:

attachicon.gifHornbyCrosti-03.jpg

Loco runs very sweetly but still being run-in. Will add some wagons tomorrow and see what it can haul.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for posting the pix - always more trustworthy than any "official" ones in these days of post-processing.

It looks very nice indeed, and I've seen some photos of one working to/from Eastleigh Works so temptation is raising its head..............

If I do get one, I reckon some better pony wheels and a set of Comet steps on the front will cover the obvious areas in need of improvement.

A prime candidate for a smoke unit, too!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling