The Ladykillers

dibber25

Just watched the Ladykillers all the way through, for the first time. Lots of wonderful 1950s 'blood&custard' era King's Cross archive. Mrs. Lopsided's house, of course, was a mock-up built by the film makers but it would make a wonderful subject for Scenecraft or Skaledale. I might even have to scratch-build it.....

• RMweb Gold

Great film from a railway viewpoint.  Have you seen the outtakes in Huntley DVD of steam on 35mm?  Some wonderful shots on the Greasley Beat prototype of express trains on the approaches to/from Londonl

See sample from approx 15 seconds in this Video125 trailer:

Edit to add link

Great film from a railway viewpoint.  Have you seen the outtakes in Huntley DVD of steam on 35mm?  Some wonderful shots on the Greasley Beat prototype of express trains on the approaches to/from Londonl

See sample from approx 15 seconds in this Video125 trailer:

Edit to add link

John's stuff was fabulous! He had such a knack of finding good quality professional archive material and he was so enthusiastic when he spoke about it. I probably have it on video somewhere. Ironically, I only ever worked with him on a couple of diesel archive programmes as he wasn't in to WR hydraulics and DMUs.

CHRIS LEIGH

How on earth have you managed not to see this timeless classic?  I'm at least into double figures. The timpani drum sound as the bodies bounce in the 16T minerals is etched upon my memory...burghrummmm :yes:

It's one of those things that I've always been out, about to go out, or its been on in the background during a 'family Christmas". I hardly dared admit that had not seen it all the way through before. Fabulous how well 'blood and custard' shows up against all that grime - it was an inspired choice. I recall we 'did' The Ladykillers in Steam World many years ago as Nigel (Harris) has some BFI stills that we used, all with the details of where the house was built etc. I just think its great to see London as I recall it from childhood. The modern cleaned up version is OK, but old London with RT buses and dirty buildings had character. Stand on that corner at KX now (it's a McDonalds!) and there's very little left of how it used to look. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reminder - dug it out and watching it again.

Sheer pleasure.

edit - and on Saturday  I walked over the bridge from which Alec Guinness scopes the robbery at Kings Cross...now at Ropley on the MHR.

Just watched the Ladykillers all the way through, for the first time. Lots of wonderful 1950s 'blood&custard' era King's Cross archive. Mrs. Lopsided's house, of course, was a mock-up built by the film makers but it would make a wonderful subject for Scenecraft or Skaledale. I might even have to scratch-build it.....

Always knew there was something missing from "The Gresley Beat".....

• 1 year later...

Great movie.

I’ve been collecting old British movies for a while - which isn’t easy over here. Just got hold of “The Man in the White Suit” with Sir Alec.

Glad you watched it all at last, Chris.

Best, Pete.

IMHO, "The Ladykillers" is up there with "Kind Hearts and Coronets". If you have not seen that, you will enjoy it.

I've refused to watch the Tom Hanks remake of "The Ladykillers" on principle!

Great Film and some good footage to boot.  I have it on DVD and watch it occasionally, well probably every 6 months.

Frankie's horse and cart would be around the corner and bolted.

If only that strap did not get caught in the door.

Chris, glad you enjoyed it.

I have seen 3 layouts with Kings Cross/ southern end of ECML in 3 different gauges. MRC Copenhagen Fields (N gauge), The Gresley Beat (OO gauge) and Gainsborough MRC O gauge layout when last in UK.  All would be fitting with the house and a few dead bodies in 16t mineral wagons. 

Mark in OZ

A great Frankie Howerd moment.

Another fantastic moment of his (railway related) is in The Great St Trinians Train Robbery. Where the lever is thrown in the ditch. He lets out a marvellous '...whaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!!'

On my layout (Earl's Court) I have a hairdressers shop, which I have named 'Alphonse of Monte Carlo' in homage to the great Francis Howerd.

Terry

ecmr.webs.com

post-18114-0-01111100-1435489437.jpg

Andy, I suffered through the Hanks “version”. Must be his worst movie.

I’m sorry you reminded me of two lost hours...........

Best, Pete.

Thank goodness they dropped the idea of remaking "Kind hearts and coronets"

Great Film and some good footage to boot.  I have it on DVD and watch it occasionally, well probably every 6 months.

Frankie's horse and cart would be around the corner and bolted.

If only that strap did not get caught in the door.

Chris, glad you enjoyed it.

I have seen 3 layouts with Kings Cross/ southern end of ECML in 3 different gauges. MRC Copenhagen Fields (N gauge), The Gresley Beat (OO gauge) and Gainsborough MRC O gauge layout when last in UK.  All would be fitting with the house and a few dead bodies in 16t mineral wagons. 

Mark in OZ

Copenhagen Fields *does* feature the house, plus character figures and private owner wagons with the names of the actors on.

Now that Hornby have done the Titfield Thunderbolt set, how about an "action" set with a house over a tunnel, where every time a train goes under the house, it triggers a figure pushing a wheelbarrow to come out of the house and tip a body over the tunnel protal into the passing train?

Mrs. Lopsided's house, of course, was a mock-up built by the film makers but it would make a wonderful subject for Scenecraft or Skaledale. I might even have to scratch-build it.....

Will you be providing early morning tea? even though the view is......well. Most exhilarating!!!.

I can just imagine,'shall I be mother?'.

• 2 months later...

Of course a scratch built model of Mrs Lopsided house would have to include the parrot (General Gordon?) perched on the roof - with a figure of Major Courtney (Cecil Parker).

Favourite piece in the film, apart from railway scenes - is the flap in the phone box, with them all wedged in and the brilliant Professor Marcus (Alec Guinness) saying keep calm Major, keep calm...

A great Frankie Howerd moment.

Another fantastic moment of his (railway related) is in The Great St Trinians Train Robbery. Where the lever is thrown in the ditch. He lets out a marvellous '...whaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!!'

On my layout (Earl's Court) I have a hairdressers shop, which I have named 'Alphonse of Monte Carlo' in homage to the great Francis Howerd.

Terry

ecmr.webs.com

I love your Alphonse hair salon - brilliant - cue message via shampoo taps from Stratford Johns and lots of lovely Longmoor Military Railway scenes.

Yes, a great film of its time.

I also have some other 'Homages' on the layout.

An advert for 'Randall & Hopkirk Printers', a shop named 'Grimsdale' and a works owned by 'Pitkin', both in tribute to Norman Wisdom, plus a couple of Only Fools & Horses......Tony Angelino wallpaper shop and Joan Denver florist.

Just a bit of fun and many punters have a giggle when they see them at an exhibition.

Terry

Earl's Court Model Railway

ecmr.webs.com

Of course a scratch built model of Mrs Lopsided house would have to include the parrot (General Gordon?) perched on the roof - with a figure of Major Courtney (Cecil Parker).

Favourite piece in the film, apart from railway scenes - is the flap in the phone box, with them all wedged in and the brilliant Professor Marcus (Alec Guinness) saying keep calm Major, keep calm...

With professor Markus saying 'Louie will you mind your own business'. When Major Courtney was on the roof with Louie and Markus says ' well bring him here' Mr Robinson says 'he came down with the chimney pot' Markus giggles and asks 'is he wounded?' and Louie replies 'I shouldn't think he felt a thing'.

Another was when Harry (Peter Sellers) was killed and One Round (Danny Green) says to Harry ' you done er!. I said no one was to do her!. Harry replies 'oh come on One Round where's your sense of humour" WHACK! One Round explaining to Markus 'I thought Harry done her, alright I made a mistake. Markus says 'put him in the barrow' One Round replies No! you lose Harry I'm staying with mum!.

When they'd all been killed and Mrs Lopsided goes to the police station and the police ask what happened to the gang, she replies 'well that's the funny thing they all disappeared in the night. A policeman asks 'they didn't have a spaceship did they?

To think in 2004 they remade the movie but the original was a classic and you just can't remake a classic.

I too have The Man in the White Suit, The Lavender Hill Mob, Kind hearts and Coronets and A Run for Your Money which has Western Region steam scenes not to mention a long Welsh station name. 'This is a story of how Welsh Wales came to town. It all began in, (music and a view of the station name board). 'Yes Hafoduwchbenceubwllymarchogcoch.

When at Paddington Station the station announcer asks 'Would Mr Dai and Davie Jones from', then asks 'where are they from?, He's given a piece of paper with the long name on it. He asks once again,'would Mr Dai and Davie Jones from (he looks at the paper and says into the microphone) 'Love a duck!!!!'. He then says 'Would Mr Dai and Davie Jones from Wales please call into the station master's office and practically all the trains passengers try to get into the station masters office.   

Archived