Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

I have never got to the bottom (ooh!) of who the eponymous lady was, hopefully still is.

Not actually that sure who it is named after. It is a Network Rail Saloon and is usually propelled by a Class 37

No need to cancel Mrs bradfordbuffer's holiday. You stay and just let her go on her own.

:triniti:

Any new pictures of DL Mick?

Not actually that sure who it is named after. It is a Network Rail Saloon and is usually propelled by a Class 37

Excellent, thanks. That gave me enough info to find this Wikipedia link which tells all. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/975025_Caroline

I thought it all looked a tad familiar, 'Caroiline' has the same roots as 'Lab 4 Hastings' in that they were both Hastings line buffet cars originally.

[Later] After doing a Google search for pics of 'Caroline' I found this very informative thread by Mick himself about building a model of herself back in 2011!  :good:  Looks like she could appear on DL and be wholly authentic. 

Reading the history of the vehicle I realised that she was at the RTC when I was, and we just called her the 'Inspection Saloon' back then. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt

• RMweb Premium

Excellent, thanks. That gave me enough info to find this Wikipedia link which tells all. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/975025_Caroline

I thought it all looked a tad familiar, 'Caroiline' has the same roots as 'Lab 4 Hastings' in that they were both Hastings line buffet cars originally.

[Later] After doing a Google search for pics of 'Caroline' I found this very informative thread by Mick himself about building a model of herself back in 2011!  :good:  Looks like she could appear on DL and be wholly authentic. 

Reading the history of the vehicle I realised that she was at the RTC when I was, and we just called her the 'Inspection Saloon' back then. 

Caroline - the model version [*] is in semi-retirement at the moment, but may make a guest appearance at DEMU Showcase. I painted her in the 2009 rebuild shade of Opal green. She's now in SR EMU green.

Cheers,

Mick

[*] Typing "Caroline model" into search engines - particularly the photo sites - throws out some "interesting" results.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NONE of which are green.........  :D

I did wonder if anyone would do the search............... :no:

Cheers,

Mick

Any new pictures of DL yet?

Cheers,

Ollie

Soon..... soon.....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Anything New?

I've been on holiday for three weeks so not much has physically happened. Although quite a bit of planning of work has been carried out.

The next 3 weeks will be all hands to the pump to prepare DL for it's first full outing at the DEMU Showcase in Burton on Trent so photo updates will be intermittent - if at all.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

AAAGGGHHHHHHH!  :O

Of all the layouts I wanted to see at DEMU Showcase this year, Deadmans Lane was THE one! 

Where's its next scheduled appearance please Mick?

DEMU Showcase 2018..... (unless any exhibition managers are reading this..................)

Cheers,

Mick

DEMU Showcase 2018..... (unless any exhibition managers are reading this..................)

Cheers,

Mick

The leamington show were interested in booking more d&e layouts for next year, so might be worth dropping them a message.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond the control of the DEMU Showcase team, Deadmans Lane will not be appearing at the event.

It's just "one of those things".

It is planned in for 2018.

Cheers,

Mick

That is bad and good news.

Bad news that we won't be seeing Deadmans Lane this year.

Good news I have another year to save up for some sun glasses which are strong enough to protect my eyes from all that yella. :sungum: :sungum:

Seriously I was looking forward to seeing your new layout. 

• RMweb Premium

AAAGGGHHHHHHH!  :O

Of all the layouts I wanted to see at DEMU Showcase this year, Deadmans Lane was THE one! 

Where's its next scheduled appearance please Mick?

Cheers,

Mick

Update.

It'll be a the Derby show  May 12/13th 2018 (a few weeks earlier than DEMU Showcase).

Couldn't really get any physically closer than where the layout represents - thanks Alex!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6

Update.

It'll be a the Derby show  May 12/13th 2018 (a few weeks earlier than DEMU Showcase).

Couldn't really get any physically closer than where the layout represents - thanks Alex!

Cheers,

Mick

That'll be a must then, and as you say it's just across the main line from the place itself, magic.  :good:

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for lack of updates but there is a master plan for big push on DL soon. (When it was pulled from the DEMu event, work on it pretty much ceased.)

In the meantime, the NMT HST is taking shape over on my workbench thread.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Hello

Just get on with it and stop talking so much. See you on Saturday.

Cheers

George

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Definitely got the feel of the RTC, I especially like Brunel House and (what I think is) Kelvin House.

I’m struggling to place the tall thin building between the sidings in the first picture. (!) :-)

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

If your on about the one between 37057 and Caroline in the distance that’s the EMA welding department, Used to help construct prototypes, the roof is removable but you have to unscrew it

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely got the feel of the RTC, I especially like Brunel House and (what I think is) Kelvin House.

I’m struggling to place the tall thin building between the sidings in the first picture. (!) :-)

Paul.

If your on about the one between 37057 and Caroline in the distance that’s the EMA welding department, Used to help construct prototypes, the roof is removable but you have to unscrew I

Very good spot Jim.

It is also a very portable structure............

Cheers,

Mick