Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant work as ever Mick! My layout, if you check the topic out, is going to have a very similar fiddle yard to yours but completely different scenic section. How would you recommend wiring it and making control panels? Would you recommend having an isolated control panel for all of the electronics (car lighting, building lighting, colour signals, points, street lights etc...) for the scenic section and then having a separate on for the fiddle yard? (To save on wiring length) or just have a master control panel?

Also, I'd love to know more about the copper joins between boards, I don't know very much about them.

Cheers,

Tom (Wigan Wallgate OO Gauge)

Hi Tom,

As much as DCC is "only two wires", I've separated the various functions.

The track is split into four zones, (main lines front/yard front/storage outer/storage inner) using PSX1 circuit breakers. So if a short occurs (usually through operator error), the whole layout doesn't shut down.

Similarly, isolating the point control from the track DCC means that if a track short occurs, the points can still be operated.

Finally, there is a separate 12vDC supply that runs along the layout front to power up the likes of scenic lighting and other electrical features.

The joints between baseboards are multi-pin plug/sockets, covered a few pages back.

Cheers,

Mick

That looks BRILL Mick. :good:  Best of luck with the show over the weekend, I wish I was closer. 

I particularly like Brunel House towering over it all on the right. The hours I've spent on that roof taking pics!  :D

Have you turned London Road Bridge through 90 deg. at the right hand end? 

Hi Tom,

As much as DCC is "only two wires", I've separated the various functions.

The track is split into four zones, (main lines front/yard front/storage outer/storage inner) using PSX1 circuit breakers. So if a short occurs (usually through operator error), the whole layout doesn't shut down.

Similarly, isolating the point control from the track DCC means that if a track short occurs, the points can still be operated.

Finally, there is a separate 12vDC supply that runs along the layout front to power up the likes of scenic lighting and other electrical features.

The joints between baseboards are multi-pin plug/sockets, covered a few pages back.

Cheers,

Mick

A huge thanks Mick! Good luck with the first show too

• RMweb Premium

Yes. I have a modeller's licence and it's fully up to date................ :locomotive:  

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That looks BRILL Mick. :good:  Best of luck with the show over the weekend, I wish I was closer. 

I particularly like Brunel House towering over it all on the right. The hours I've spent on that roof taking pics!  :D

It's next planned outing is the DEMU show at Burton in June 2017. As a member, you'll get discount entry!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

It's next planned outing is the DEMU show at Burton in June 2017. As a member, you'll get discount entry!

Cheers,

Mick

MAGIC stuff, I can hardly wait.  :D

I'll bring my E-Train too and we can run a 6 car set, or a nose-to-nose GTMU maybe.......  :D

• Like 2

If you take it along make sure you keep it running at speed. Do not get fooled into parking it in a siding or stopping at a red signal. If you do, Mick will be out with the yellow paint and network rail transfers.

MAGIC stuff, I can hardly wait.  :D

I'll bring my E-Train too and we can run a 6 car set, or a nose-to-nose GTMU maybe.......  :D

• RMweb Premium

First day done and dusted.

A few minor gremlins as to be expected, but nothing that was incurable.

Although I did have a minor panic two hours in for about 5 minutes when the layout started shutting down through an apparent short with no obvious answer.

I thought it was a joint that had closed up between power zones until I realised that the main Lenz LZV100 box was a bit warm. Luckily I had a spare to hand, borrowed from the club layout, and it was quickly plugged in and normal service resumed until it too got warm. Then I swapped back to the original LZV.

Looks like I have too many locos sitting there under power, as well as the point decoders for the front of the layout.

Two possible solutions (or maybe do both)

Purchase a DCC booster (Hattons are doing the Hornby one at a good price) and/or feed the point decoders with a separate external supply. They will eventually be powered and controlled via their own dedicated system anyway.

Tomorrow's temporary fix is to open up the end plates on the LZV100 and hopefully it'll run cooler.

Otherwise, very pleased with the first outing - so far. Celebratory beverage will be consumed soon.....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

First day done and dusted.

A few minor gremlins as to be expected, but nothing that was incurable.

Although I did have a minor panic two hours in for about 5 minutes when the layout started shutting down through an apparent short with no obvious answer.

I thought it was a joint that had closed up between power zones until I realised that the main Lenz LZV100 box was a bit warm. Luckily I had a spare to hand, borrowed from the club layout, and it was quickly plugged in and normal service resumed until it too got warm. Then I swapped back to the original LZV.

Looks like I have too many locos sitting there under power, as well as the point decoders for the front of the layout.

Two possible solutions (or maybe do both)

Purchase a DCC booster (Hattons are doing the Hornby one at a good price) and/or feed the point decoders with a separate external supply. They will eventually be powered and controlled via their own dedicated system anyway.

Tomorrow's temporary fix is to open up the end plates on the LZV100 and hopefully it'll run cooler.

Otherwise, very pleased with the first outing - so far. Celebratory beverage will be consumed soon.....

Cheers,

Mick

Looking at the pictures isn't an exact science, but I could identify at least 11 locos on scene, presumably powered up on DCC, although most static of course.  Add to that a few point decoders there is quite a draw on the controller.  Thank you for pointing this out, it is easy to forget that the movement of locos is not the only draw on power.